• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

awe4one's "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" Con Review

37 posts in this topic

Here's my first crack at a comic show review. Orlando Comic-Con was the 1st real American con I've attended since 2001 so take that into account when you read my comments and observations. Some of it isn't pretty...

My day started at 4 AM Central Time after getting about 4 hours sleep. Had to get going early since I would lose an hour due to the time change. I also didn't want to arrive at the con late and not have time to get a thorough walkthru of the dealer's room before closing (6 PM). So I grab a change of clothes, jump in the Charger, set-up the nav system for the con, and off I go.

My nav system tells me to go on RTE 98 (main road along Gulf Coast) towards Panama City. I thought this kinda odd as most anytime a person leaves this area to go east or south, you first have to travel about 20 miles north to hit I-10. I must have been half asleep as I thought "great, the system is probably taking me to a shortcut and save time". Unfortunately I quickly find out that was a major mistake as the system takes me about 70 miles total miles just to go north and hit I-10 about 5 miles from where I usually do. An hour of traveling wasted... :mad:

That wouldn't be the only problems I have with the system. Upon finally getting to Orlando, it takes two circuits doing U-turns near the Disney parking lot until my nav system finally takes me to the hotel. I'm going to call the nav people tomorrow to see if there are any upgrades to the system that I haven't received...

By the time I check in to the hotel it's 12:30. I run up to my room to drop off some things (and a very nice room it was--suite with a separate living room and bedroom) and make my way down to the con.

The con was set-up in a large ballroom in an adjacent building to the tower I was staying in. There were no lines to pick up my ticket and off to the dealers room I go.

I was immediately surprised at how uncrowded the room was. All the con pictures were taken around 3 PM local. There were even less people then but I'd guess it wasn't that many less...

occ1.JPG

occ2.JPG

occ3.JPG

My first stop was at the CGC booth to drop off my first submission. Gemma was the only one manning the booth. I drop off the comics, have a quick chat, and go on my way. Submitting at the con was extremely quick and efficient. Was done in a couple minutes...

I then walked the floor. I'd guess there were 9 total dealers there with anything approaching Bronze or Silver comics. Most all the dealers, with the exception of "Mike's Collection" (Mcmiles and kingofrulers?), Tom Gordon, Tom's Comics, and Astonishing Comics (more on them later), had mostly low-mid grade comics for sale. They were primarily overpriced as well. One of the dealers, Crazy Ed, told someone looking through his boxes that the affixed prices didn't matter and they would work out a price. Why even bother looking thru his boxes then? As a buyer I don't want to have to guess on a price for an item I want. If I like a comic at the price affixed than that's a basis I use to determine whether I want to purchase. If I don't like the price, I either put the comic back in the box (most common) or ask about a possible discount (sometimes). But don't advertise that your listed prices are notional. I didn't buy anything from Ed but that's because he didn't have anything I needed or wanted...

I did buy a couple comics from Tom's Comics though. In my opinion, he had the best variety of late-Silver/Bronze issues available at the con. He had everything from Superheroes to Romance. Mostly mid-grade but there was the occasional HG in the boxes.

My Love Special #1 - Even with the distro ink it was an upgrade from my other copy...

mylovespecial1.jpg

Phantom Stranger #18 - Really like the cover...

ps18.jpg

Our Love Story #26

ourlovestory26.jpg

Next, it was over to "Mike's Collection". Had some great wall comics as well as some HG Bronze in some boxes behind the counter. Regretably, I only found one comic to buy...

Iron Man #49 - Portland Copy? - Really like this cover...

ironman49.jpg

Moved on to Tom Gordon's booth. This was the only booth that I found anything on my want list. Really nice guy who was giving me the hard sell on traveling to the Tampa Show in Nov. We'll see...

Adventure Comics #416

adventure416.jpg

DC Special #4

dcspecial4.jpg

Finally, I moved on to the Astonishing Comics booth. I bought a couple comics but I'll save that for later...

Also met and shook Nick Cardy's hand. Very nice man with a wonderful wife. Reminded me of the Nodells. Also saw Greg "The Hammer" Valentine. Didn't speak with him as I'm not a real big wrestling fan and he looked like he was working off a serious binge...

The biggest crowd I saw around any comics booth was a guy selling "hot" recent issues. :gossip: We old-time collectors must be doing something wrong... :o

Green Lantern #76 was the most common wall issue noted. I probably saw 6 total copies available...

So overall... The Good...

- Very nice facility.

- Met some new dealers.

- Nick Cardy

- Ease of CGC on-site submissions.

The Bad...

- I overheard from multiple dealers their displeasure at the way the show was going. Disorganization seemed to be the watchword. Evidently, people were just walking into the con without paying (they finally put a guard at the door). Also, there was major grumbling about the lack of attendees...

- Where was Peter David? I take it he did not attend? If he was there I missed him...and based on pics I've seen of the man I doubt that's possible.

- Was there any panels? From what I could tell there wasn't despite the website implying there would be...

- For all those people who must come to these cons dressed up as their favorite hero or villain...you don't look as good or as cool as you think. I'm not sure who's telling you how great you look but they're lying. There's nothing that turns me off quicker than seeing mildly overweight males and females trying to wear spandex. And please protect your child's dignity and not include them in your dress-up. They'll thank you later...

The Ugly...

- This is primarily my fault for not checking better but the last dealer I bought comics from was Astonishing Comics. It was right before leaving the con and I was pretty tired due to the trip and general boredom. AC had comics labeled as HG on the box and priced aggressively as well. I found a couple romance issues that looked at first glance to be pretty solid issues. The dealer was even hyping the fact that he was selling these HG copies cheaper than they should be. So I bought them...

Secret Hearts #146 - looks nice from the front...

sh146front.jpg

...until I looked at the back later that night. Pen or grease marks go thorugh the last couple pages of the book. The staples are rusted as well leaving stains on all pages...

sh146back.jpg

Secret Hearts #148

sh148front.jpg

Rust marks throughout the issue...

sh148back.jpg

GS Avengers #2 - I just plain missed the chunks along the right edge. It was priced at guide...

gaavengers2.jpg

Again, I blame myself...but ugly it is...

One final item...I saw a couple dealers with numerous comics held out from their inventory that were on hold for other dealers. I assume they were getting payment after the con was over. Well, I would have bought a couple I saw immediately if they were available. I only spent a quarter of my budget at the con. I'm not sure how this is working out for you dealers out there but bet not all of these comics were sold unless sales improved greatly on Sunday. Personally, I'd put the comic out there for sale and if it was still available at the end then it's a bonus. But I bet some of these comics traveled home unsold...and that kind of defeats the purpose, don't you think?

Well this has gone on long enough. Overall, I enjoyed myself...but I doubt I'll be making the trip again next year. If there is a next year...

Jim

Sorry that the Con wasn't up to expectations, though I'm sure it was nice to be back in a room full of comics, or well full of some comics to buy. :grin:

I think you did well with only spending 1/4 of your budget. When I go to cons like that, in the past I end up buying stuff I really don't need, just to buy something.

Great report and fascinating reading! I always wondered too, why dealers will often sell their choice items to other dealers before the con opens to the public. Presumeably, the other dealer is interested because he knows he can flip the books later on, so the seller should know that he can get a better price for it from the collectors, if not at that show, then certainly in the near future. (shrug)

Great Report! (thumbs u I heard that some of the bigger-name artists cancelled at the last minute. You need to come back to the Megacon show when more national dealers show up. You should have introduced yourself at MCMiles booth (the hangout for boardees) and joined our "Panel" discussions. :grin:

Dealers write bigger checks.

Sell it now for a little less and with a lot more books or hope some guy will come in and buy one of those books in your stack for a little more.

I understand that...but at a show like Orlando where no dealer is really doing well at all, why hold a box of prime issues to barter after the show closes when you know everyone is just trying to generate enough sales to break even on set-up fees, etc? What happens when the show closes and the dealers come back and say they can't buy the issues due to poor show sales?

You've taken merchandise off the market that would have sold and hurt your own sales in the process...

Jim

Sorry that the Con wasn't up to expectations, though I'm sure it was nice to be back in a room full of comics, or well full of some comics to buy. :grin:

It was...I was like a kid in a candystore... :grin:

I think you did well with only spending 1/4 of your budget. When I go to cons like that, in the past I end up buying stuff I really don't need, just to buy something.

There was stuff to buy. The majority were mid-grade superhero comics though. There was a lack of HG comics and when they were available they were priced VERY aggressively.

I need to clarify a point here...I don't collect a large majority of Bronze issues anymore due to already having them in my collection. The days of buying duplicates are over for the most part except for the occasional upgrade. As a result, my wantlist has narrowed to include items you just don't see that often either at shows or even the Internet. So I'm already going into a show expecting to be disappointed to a degree...

Jim

You should have introduced yourself at MCMiles booth (the hangout for boardees) and joined our "Panel" discussions. :grin:

I didn't know he was a Forum member until seeing your pics after returning home. I realized that was a problem when I got there. I don't know what the majority of Forum members look like and I'm not going to go around saying "I'm awe4one on the CGC Forum" to people I don't know...

Hell now that I think of it...I don't think I even told Gemma who I was... hm

Jim

Hell now that I think of it...I don't think I even told Gemma who I was..

That's probably the only reason they accepted your submission. :baiting:

Nah...I coordinated with Litch beforehand. And I wanted to talk to him at the con about CGC issues but didn't see him... (shrug)

Jim

I don't know what the majority of Forum members look like and I'm not going to go around saying "I'm awe4one on the CGC Forum" to people I don't know...

Hell now that I think of it...I don't think I even told Gemma who I was... hm

Jim

I think that is one of the weirder moments a person can have at a convention, deciding on whether or not to ask the person they are speaking to if they are on the CGC chatboard.

If they are not you can get some weird looks to be sure. But at the same time it is funny to be speaking to somebody for awhile only to realize afterwards they are a fellow forumite.

Also, did you get in touch with AC and relate your discoveries? I remember him being in Chicago, not 100% sure but I think KOR was set up with him.. , but I am not sure though), I have their card somewhere from the show if you want it.

Ze-

Also saw Greg "The Hammer" Valentine. Didn't speak with him as I'm not a real big wrestling fan and he looked like he was working off a serious binge...

lol ---------- THIS GUY?? hammer.jpg Think I used to watch him and Brutus the barber beefcake back in the 80's when I was 7 or 8 years old.

Well this has gone on long enough. Overall, I enjoyed myself...but I doubt I'll be making the trip again next year. If there is a next year...

Jim

Nice report Jim

Sorry to hear about the rusty staples and other issues on those books. One thing I've never encountered yet is rust on staples buying older books up here in Canada as we don't have the humid heat hanging around as often.

Hope your next con is 100 times better :-)

Richard

The story from http://www.comicbookresources.com/columns/?column=13 :

The Orlando Comic Con just put on its second year show this weekend, talking it up and boasting of 3000 pre-registration attendees. They also advertised such guests as Peter David and Stuart Immonen.

Peter David had his own take as to why he wasn't there. The organisers never got round to sending him air tickets.

Same with Stuart Immonen.

David Lloyd, it appears, had requested a return ticket to take him home the Thursday after the con, so he could attend a signing at local store "AComicShop." The organisers agreed. But he got a Monday return instead.

That same shop had paid for an ad in the convention guide book. It didn't get printed.

The show was advertised as three days but shrank to two.

Artists' Alley only filled ten out of fifty seats and gained the nickname "Artists' Back Alley Abortion."

Apparently around 600 people turned up, including dealers, guests and staff.

With inflation like that, maybe these guys should work for Wizard World?

Still, that meant a rather high pro to fan ratio, so the fans who did turn up probably had a great time.