• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SA ASM Collectors- What are your thoughts?

62 posts in this topic

Well, there are two owners- one who does all the purchasing and grading and the other who pretty much runs the store. Now, I spoke to the one who sold it to me and his impression on the comic was that it was graded at FR solely because of the added staples and tape (I happen to know from previous purchases at this store that these two defects are especially damaging to the guy who does the grading). In fact, his opinion was it graded more like a high GD.

And yeah, what the HELL happened this weekend with the games??? I was thrilled K-State won since we lived in Manhattan, KS for a while and my wife's an alum from their grad program. But both now all three of the Big East's contenders are out- W. VA, Rutgers, L-Ville (though I was THRILLED to death that SU won- they're my team). And PSU losing to IL was a real disappointment. Oh well...

Well, there are two owners- one who does all the purchasing and grading and the other who pretty much runs the store. Now, I spoke to the one who sold it to me and his impression on the comic was that it was graded at FR solely because of the added staples and tape (I happen to know from previous purchases at this store that these two defects are especially damaging to the guy who does the grading). In fact, his opinion was it graded more like a high GD.

And yeah, what the HELL happened this weekend with the games??? I was thrilled K-State won since we lived in Manhattan, KS for a while and my wife's an alum from their grad program. But both now all three of the Big East's contenders are out- W. VA, Rutgers, L-Ville (though I was THRILLED to death that SU won- they're my team). And PSU losing to IL was a real disappointment. Oh well...

Yeah...big shake-up in the Top 10!

Well, after many long days and hours of waiting, the ASM Annual 1 has arrived! Yes, feast your eyes on the latest low-grade addition to my longbox!

Insides are fully intact w/o any tears, OW, and relatively sharp corners (just some minor blunting). I'm half tempted to remove the staples as the binding on this book is exceptionaly tight. I'm leaving the two pieces of tape alone though as I don't want to chance pulling something off. No immediate signs of color touch from what I can tell, but more experienced collector's would know better. And yes, the cover is just about as white as it scans- albeit a couple little scuff marks here and there (not sure how well they show on the scanner.

ASMAnnual1-Front.jpg

ASMAnnual1-Back.jpg

Great pick up for $40! (thumbs u

the NFL...I'm a college man...and they're were some great games yesterday...especially Oklahoma-Colorado and Oregon-Cal! Anytime both Oklahoma and Texas lose on the same day, that's a great day in my book!

Oklahoma Lost? :applause: Go Buffs

Yeah, but every SA ASM collector here knows how much I hem and haw on buying my books. Snap decisions for me on comics are never snap decisions.

Of course... the average price of my comics has risen SIGNIFICANTLY so I wonder if that has anything to do with it? hm

Yeah, but every SA ASM collector here knows how much I hem and haw on buying my books. Snap decisions for me on comics are never snap decisions.

I kid, I kid! Nothing wrong with that. (thumbs u

Well, after many long days and hours of waiting, the ASM Annual 1 has arrived! Yes, feast your eyes on the latest low-grade addition to my longbox!

Insides are fully intact w/o any tears, OW, and relatively sharp corners (just some minor blunting). I'm half tempted to remove the staples as the binding on this book is exceptionaly tight. I'm leaving the two pieces of tape alone though as I don't want to chance pulling something off. No immediate signs of color touch from what I can tell, but more experienced collector's would know better. And yes, the cover is just about as white as it scans- albeit a couple little scuff marks here and there (not sure how well they show on the scanner.

ASMAnnual1-Front.jpg

ASMAnnual1-Back.jpg

Great pick up for $40! (thumbs u

Congrats!!!! Glad you enjoyed reading it also!!! This is one of my all-time favorite Spiderman books!!! Love the splash pages also, especially the Electro spash!!!

I don't know why some collectors shy away from these early ASM Annuals!!! They are great in my opinion. At least up until #5 where they all included at least one NEW story!!!! No.1 as you know is 100% New. No reprints!!! It's a classic!!!!

Yeah, that's one of the things that I've been thinking about in terms of where I'm going with my run of ASMs. I'm planning on going up to 328 eventually (already about 1/2 way there), but how many of the annuals do I want to chase down? I am figuring since I already own copies of 1-2 (and a coverless #3 for $0.25 which will be getting replaced), the hard stuff is already out of the way.

But this one was fantastic and am very happy to have been able to add it to my collection!

Hey, go all the way with ASM and the Annuals!!! You're right - the two big ones are out of the way.Then don't forget the Giant Sizes!Then do what I did and try for all Spidey covers and cross-over issues -- now that's some fun!!

FISH

Yeah, that's one of the things that I've been thinking about in terms of where I'm going with my run of ASMs. I'm planning on going up to 328 eventually (already about 1/2 way there), but how many of the annuals do I want to chase down? I am figuring since I already own copies of 1-2 (and a coverless #3 for $0.25 which will be getting replaced), the hard stuff is already out of the way.

But this one was fantastic and am very happy to have been able to add it to my collection!

I've got a low grade 4/5 if your interested

Maybe later Cap, but thanks for the thought. I'm doing what I can about lining up a copy of ASM right now and it's pretty much got 100% of my attention. And then there's the ASM 13 this one fella keeps suggesting I buy from him after that.... :grin:

KRAP!

I thought I got a nice mid-grade copy for under $100 but they just emailed me they are removing it from my invoice because eight pages are missing.

:censored:

Well at least I'm glad they found the problem before they mailed it to me.

:whatev: