• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post the book(s) that made you decide to become a comic book collector

51 posts in this topic

My collecting catalyst is a mixing of three different books:

First comic ever read. Well, I looked at it. I don't remember reading the mag at four years old

FantasticFour61.jpg

First Avengers I read as a child:

mt07_avengers.gif

First Avengers comics bought straight off the rack (and not second hand at a flea market, etc.)

167-2.jpg

Thanks to all who have posted books so far. Keep 'em coming. I think it's interesting to see the catalyst that turned you into a comic collector or at least had a big influence.

That's a great page from Captain Marvel by the way, Joe. (thumbs u

I don't have a specific issue to post but the first book I started collecting in my childhood was Richie Rich. I don't remember what I had or where they ended up but I had quite a few. After that, I started collecting Marvel and Iron Man was the first title I got into.

I was with my grandmother in Manhattan and saw this cover in the store window. I stopped and staired at it and before I knew it she purchased it for me and I had something to read on the train ride home. Funny thing is at the end of the story Thor is thrown into fire while his hammer is stuck to a magnetic slab, took me at least 10 years until I purchased issue #211 to find out how it went for him.

thor210.jpg

I had bought a few books off the racks a little earlier (my friends were into VERY hot Byrne FFs at the time...my earliest recollection of speculation!), but I vividly remember buying this book off the rack at TJs depanneur (that's french for corner store) at 9 years old:

3092-22611-1-uncanny-x-men-the_400.jpg

Which led me into the Brood saga (still a great read) and picking up the Wolverine mini-series off the stands (bought #1 at Pierette's depanneur) not really knowing who he was lol.

I was also into Daredevil in the 180s that I would pick up at the pharmacy where my grandmother would play her lotteries.

All these places were within 5 minutes walking distance...GREAT memories, and I still have all the actual books!

For me, it was probably the Starlin Captain Marvel run. I had the book posted below, and another one (Captain Marvel 27) from my childhood collection, but it was Captain Marvel 32 that I read and reread over and over. I absolutely loved the story, the art, and It was probably the most amazing comic book my young eyes had ever seen.

As time went by, my mind kept coming back to the cliffhanger ending (also shown below), where Thanos emerged from a fiery pit to face off against the over-matched Captain Marvel. I would often wonder how that series ended, as well as what happened before and after CM 27. Since there were no comic stores near, it led me to the world of mail order and Robert Crestohl in Montreal (before he joined that numbnuts Gerry Ross), and I proceeded to order there regularly.

But without that impetus from Jim Starlin, I might never have started collecting. hm

Joe,

If you dont mind me asking.How old are you?