• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guilty conscience

Guilt  

366 members have voted

1. 1. Guilt

255 posts in this topic

If you are not the highest bidder I completely agree, it's not right. You are the highest bidder. You are not screwing other possible bidders. For example, if you hit a buy it now before someone else does, even if they would have paid more, you are not screwing that person. If the seller chooses to sell to you, he may or may not be screwing himself. But it's the sellers choice.

Nope...what you're doing is trying to gain an advantage and "snipe" the comic before the auction ends. That's screwing all the other bidders who already have good faith bids the opportunity to outbid you.

Your scenario is just a step to mitigate and justify what you're doing by screwing others...

Jim

Again I completely agree. Once the bidding has begun, the auction needs to run its course. Fair play for all.
I'm going to snipe you on those other romance books. :whistle:

No you're not! :sumo:

Exactly, if there are ANY bids in an auction format it should be completed as an auction.

So offering a BIN to the seller before any bids have been placed is acceptable?

What do the ebay rules say?

I believe they doth say "Nay!"

I'll be the hard-azz here: unless it's an item with a BIN, if it's an auction that's supposed to run a specified amount of days ending it early even without any bids isn't cool with me or ebay rules. I watch a lot of auctions and may not bid immediately for a variety of reasons. If a seller ends early, there goes my opportunity to bid.

Exactly, if there are ANY bids in an auction format it should be completed as an auction.

So offering a BIN to the seller before any bids have been placed is acceptable?

I don't have a big problem with it...

Jim

My only problem with it, is that I don't often bid on an item until the very end of the auction. I'd still feel pretty screwed if I was sitting there watching an auction for 6 days or so, fully planning on winning it, then poof! It's gone.

I've had this happen on two auctions I was watching from one seller and when I contacted him, he said he accepted an offer to end them early. :pullhair:

That`s the downside of sniping. (shrug)

No, I'd say the downside to sniping is when you get sniped, not when the seller breaks ebay rules and agrees to an outside offer.

Don't get me wrong. I do understand why it happens on both sides and I'm not really putting either party in the "scum of the earth" catagory, but I do think it's on the shade side of wrong.

If the ebay rules state "no" then it's more than a shade wrong. It IS wrong.

If you are not the highest bidder I completely agree, it's not right. You are the highest bidder. You are not screwing other possible bidders. For example, if you hit a buy it now before someone else does, even if they would have paid more, you are not screwing that person. If the seller chooses to sell to you, he may or may not be screwing himself. But it's the sellers choice.

Nope...what you're doing is trying to gain an advantage and "snipe" the comic before the auction ends. That's screwing all the other bidders who already have good faith bids the opportunity to outbid you.

Your scenario is just a step to mitigate and justify what you're doing by screwing others...

Jim

Again I completely agree. Once the bidding has begun, the auction needs to run its course. Fair play for all.

I'm going to snipe you both... :gossip:

Jim

Jim

I completely understand what you are saying (other then that last sentence). But their good faith bids are less then the highest bid. Yes, they may or may not bid higher later. But if the seller believes that the highest bidder will pay the most, it is the sellers option to end it early through ebay and sell to the highest bidder. The seller may be screwing other bidders and himself, but it's his option (and an ebay feature).

But I'm not trying to change minds. Just my opinion. As a seller I never end an auction early, even if I am offered more then I am sure I would get. I wouldn't want to take advantage of the buyer if I was happily willing to take less.

Jim

Yes, I will. Whether I win them or not is a different matter.

I completely understand what you are saying (other then that last sentence). But their good faith bids are less then the highest bid. Yes, they may or may not bid higher later. But if the seller believes that the highest bidder will pay the most, it is the sellers option to end it early through ebay and sell to the highest bidder. The seller may be screwing other bidders and himself, but it's his option (and an ebay feature).

But I'm not trying to change minds. Just my opinion. As a seller I never end an auction early, even if I am offered more then I am sure I would get. I wouldn't want to take advantage of the buyer if I was happily willing to take less.

You're putting the seller in a position to screw the other bidders. You initiated the act so are just as guilty as the seller...

Jim

Jim

You won't. I foresee a massive Canadian interet access outtage, so don't even bother looking.

Jim

You will fail. My arrows will blot the sun!

Jim

You won't. I foresee a massive Canadian interet access outtage, so don't even bother looking.

Bidnip doesn't require that my access is operational so F U, troll

If we're talking about the same Romance lots...I am a bit concerned that the seller has cropped the spines on most of his scans...

Jim

I've won other romance books from him. They're generally decent 8.0-ish books. Some nicer, some not. The ink spray can be a turn off.

Bidnip doesn't require that my access is operational so F U, troll

Whooooaaaa! Reading your posts makes my head spin, much like the cat after she spins in the chair too much.

bitters002-2.jpg

I feel it is wrong to end auctions early, I would never ask someone to end early and I would never Accept an offer to end early. I guess I just feel it an unfair practice. And I too am all about" Karma"...what comes around goes around.

And I guess you could say well "DOG EAT DOG WORLD" And " I only did what someone else could have done, by asking for a early ending"

But thats not what I am about.

I believe they doth say "Nay!"

I'll be the hard-azz here: unless it's an item with a BIN, if it's an auction that's supposed to run a specified amount of days ending it early even without any bids isn't cool with me or ebay rules. I watch a lot of auctions and may not bid immediately for a variety of reasons. If a seller ends early, there goes my opportunity to bid.

I don't think you're being a harda$$ at all- that's what the rules are. I was mainly just addressing those individuals who solicate a seller with BO when the auction has bidders. Truth be told, my best offers work as follows: "If there are no winning bidders on this auction, would be interested in relisting it with a BIN of $XX.XX?"

1. Doesn't violate solicitation rules

2. Doesn't violate the outside of eBay transaction rules.

3. Offers the seller an opportunity to make a sale.

And I rarely even bother with ebay much anymore since the success rate of purchases is far lower than those experienced through buy from board members.

Looks like I came late to this little guilty party.

All I would add is that this reminds me of how I feel about people who cut in line be it at a movie or while driving, I hate it. It's a form of cheating plain and simple, they are disregarding the rules everyone else is playing by be they written or verbal to get what they want faster. But we all do it at some point and time I guess( while driving at least)

The seller on the other hand is a schmo for yanking the rug out from a good faith bidder. Now if the bid was an opening bid for $25 on a $500 comic I would say that he did not exactly rook the bidder, but if it was a serious bid and he did not let the auction run it's course well.. then to me that's not nice. It all comes down to playing by the rules be you seller or buyer in a given format if that was how it started.

But in the end, Life ain't fair and guilt is overrated.

Ze-

The item I asked about this morning (no answer yet) has a bid of $9.99 and I offered $30 shipped for it. It will probably go for $50 - $60 so its worth a shot. I do feel a little guilty since there was a bidder and probably won't do it again but I really don't see anything wrong with asking if there are no bids or I'm the only bidder.