• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guilty conscience

Guilt  

366 members have voted

1. 1. Guilt

255 posts in this topic

I will regulary ask sellers if they are interested in taking a Best Offer but ONLY if there are no bidders on the item. If someone pops up and bids before he commits, then all bets are off. It's no different than here when someone will PM an offer to a seller and another person posts the :takeit: before the deal goes through. You have to respect the trump; you don't have to like it, but you have to respect it. :sumo:

Well-stated!

I will regulary ask sellers if they are interested in taking a Best Offer but ONLY if there are no bidders on the item. If someone pops up and bids before he commits, then all bets are off. It's no different than here when someone will PM an offer to a seller and another person posts the :takeit: before the deal goes through. You have to respect the trump; you don't have to like it, but you have to respect it. :sumo:

What are you talking about? It's totally different. Books aren't sold here in an auction format.

Not at all different . Let me rephrase it and see if this will make more sense to you:

I approach Seller X with a Best Offer on a comic he is listing on eBay. Before he has the opportunity to close the auction, someone places a bid on it. As far as I can recall the rules on eBay, ending an auction early (esp. one that has bidders on it already) to complete that transaction off eBay is a No-Go. Bottomline- if someone is bidding on an item, 1. buyers should not be making offers at this point (too late) and 2. the seller shouldn't be ending it early to accept offers after bidding has begun.

Now, if I see Seller X is listing a comic here in the Seller's thread but I don't want pay his listed price, I'll send him a PM with an offer. In the meanwhile, another board member sees the same book and posts an :takeit: sign. What are the generally accepted rules on who should get the comic? The one who posted the :takeit: sign. If the seller dismissed this person in favor of the PM, sure it's his/her perogative, but I think it's safe to say there would be some general negative reaction to this decision.

So, consider the bid placed on an eBay auction like the :takeit: sign here. Once that gets posted, there's no more room for Best Offers (unless it gets relisted). But, what the hey, maybe I'm flying solo on this one? :shrug:

I believe the Seller has the (ethical) obligation to contact the PMer and state "at present, someone else is offering the BIN or otherwise (higher offer than yours)"...you get the right to match it...if you don't, the Seller has the right to sell it to the BIN buyer...

asking a seller to end an auction early is wrong. ending an auction early because a buyer has asked to do so is wrong. if you have agreed to sell an item via the auction format, and the auction is set to run for a specified number of days, any action used to try and circumvent that is evidence of a poor ethical choice. how we choose to conduct ourselves when things aren't a life or death situation shows our true nature. if you're willing to screw over the rules because you don't deem them important enough to follow, then who is to say you won't do the same when the stakes are slightly higher?

EBay's rules allow you to end an auction early. Why?

asking a seller to end an auction early is wrong. ending an auction early because a buyer has asked to do so is wrong. if you have agreed to sell an item via the auction format, and the auction is set to run for a specified number of days, any action used to try and circumvent that is evidence of a poor ethical choice. how we choose to conduct ourselves when things aren't a life or death situation shows our true nature. if you're willing to screw over the rules because you don't deem them important enough to follow, then who is to say you won't do the same when the stakes are slightly higher?

well, i'm glad you asked. there are multiple, legitimate reasons why you would want a system in place by which a seller may wish to end an auction early. but the primary reason i am going to go with is that eBay is a bunch of imbeciles. :sumo:

well, i'm glad you asked. there are multiple, legitimate reasons why you would want a system in place by which a seller may wish to end an auction early. but the primary reason i am going to go with is that eBay is a bunch of imbeciles. :sumo:

Could it also be that they want to put their sellers to the ultimate eBay ethics test?

In this test if you fail nothing really happens because eBay doesn't care.

Could it also be that they want to put their sellers to the ultimate eBay ethics test?

i think "eBay" and "ethics" are words from two different languages

Richie you are cracking me up. Your sarcasm volume is almost one louder then 10.

Ze-

Richie you are cracking me up. Your sarcasm volume is almost one louder then 10.

Ze-

My detached amusement knob goes to 12!

At the risk of being called names...;)

I thought of a reason to end an auction...and YES...Ebay does allow it...

Last year a friend asked me to do him a huge favor and sell some VERY expensive basketball tickets for him..(floor seats), his son was getting married and he forgot about them ...it was very late...and he wanted them on Stub Hub AND Ebay...to see if he could find a buyer...this was before we had a clue that Ebay was buying Stub Hub...Stub Hub sells in a different way and would have charged my credit card if I failed to produce the tickets...so, it was important that if they sold before the end of the Ebay auction, that I could end it...

But I had never done that before...and...

I didn't know if that was legit...so, I called Ebay and asked...and I was told, it was fine...as long as I put in the auction..."This auction may be ended at ANY time"...

So, I did that...Sold them all on Ebay anyway, Stub Hub was a waste...but...that's what happened...

OK, so...just don't hit me, and have a great night!

Sharon

As far as I know it is Auction House protocol to end the auction early with any bid (emailed, faxed, silent nod, whatever...) I'm pretty positive ethical outfits such as Christy's and Sotheby"s observe that protocol)...the Seller must have some control, it's their item and they have obviously entered into a process to maximize their sales price...I revert to my earlier statement that I would always give current bidders the right to match price...otherwise finalize the sale. The thoughts expressed about "gee, I'm just watching for now and want to put in my snipe bid at 3 seconds and you robbed me of that opportunity to win that item..." are lame and extremely whiny at best!

This is, on the face of it, a ridiculous question.

The answer is simple:

You can end the auction because you no longer wish to sell your item.

The answer is NOT "you can end the auction because you wish to sell it offline to someone who found you via eBay".

This is one stoopid freakin' thread . . . The reality is that you can end your freakin' auction for whatever reason you choose . . . it's eBay and it's stoopid, and who the freak cares. :insane:

For all of you who think there are ethics on either side of the equation, you are extremely naive.

:makepoint:

This is, on the face of it, a ridiculous question.

The answer is simple:

You can end the auction because you no longer wish to sell your item.

The answer is NOT "you can end the auction because you wish to sell it offline to someone who found you via eBay".

Thanks for a valid answer to my ridiculous question. That's why I asked it.

So you see, it ain't so ridiculous after all.

(BTW, your answer, while not completely ridiculous, is only partially correct.

What you should have said is...

You can end the auction because you no longer wish to sell your item through eBay

It's every man and woman for himself/herself freckles!

I fixed that for you. ;):hi::foryou:

Personally I don't agree with ending auctions early as a seller and have

never asked for a seller to do it either. I have tried very hard to get know

excellent sellers and try to buy off-line if they're really good with some

success so they save money and hopefully I save money too.

fay

i think you can be wrong, and not be a total dirtbag loser.

well, some of you can. i'm beginning to wonder about others.

:sorry:

anyway, i'd still gladly share a beer with most any of you, except the ones who truly and utterly annoy the living mess out of me, none of whom have appeared in this thread so far (thumbs u
:acclaim:

it's like you're telepathic or something. quick, how many fingers am i holding up?

One, the same as me. meh

bah. two, actually. i was giving you the double handed salute

Be careful, Sal. You're treading into "clever" territory. thshameonyou-1.gif

sckao I really hoping your kidding. In this forum you never know.

It has nothing to do with ethics or morals at all... I'm just saying it was a bad example.

It was a perfect example, you're just not drunk enough to understand it.

It was a perfect example of what? Please spell it out for me... (shrug)

Are we to accept the blanket statement "Never at the risk of others" as well? Is that some sort of universal truth?

Everything I, and Mr.Bedrock, say should be taken as universal truth. To do otherwise is blasphemy.

Our hobby is comic books. Comic books people, fricken comic books. Little miniature books with colored pictures in them. One step away from children's pop up books. Think about it.

If you're going to steer this away in another direction.. that's fine.

But to limit this to "comic books" is to do a disservice for the business practices that are the underlying basis for this discussion.

We have a business that provides a service between sellers and buyers for a fee. A seller and buyer attempt to circumvent that business arrangement. If this happens on a consistent basis, the business will fail. The platform for the exchange of goods linking buyer and seller will go away.

It doesn't matter that we're talking about comic books.

Is it okay to shoplift from a large store versus a small mom-and-pop store because the larger "can afford it?"

Before you start predicting the crash of eBay, shouldn't you keep in mind that they charge a fee simply for listing the item for sale in the first place?

Holy cow!! I can't post at the hotel but it sure was fun to watch the daggers fly. This has turned out to be a very touchy subject and I would have never guessed that it would start my first "fight". I'm glad to help some people vent a little and others to enjoy being drunk.

I actually have been swayed with all the conviencing arguments that what I did was wrong on a couple different levels. I'm going to contact the two sellers and explain the cituation to them since they are both newer sellers and hopefully we can work out an agreement. The short-term satisfaction of making a great deal just isn't worth the guilt associated with taking advantage of a couple new sellers.

Thanks again for all the input.

I see nothing wrong with what you are doing and apparently neither does eBay. If they wanted to fix the sniping issue all they would have to do is automatically extend the auction another 5 minutes if the last bid comes in with less than 5 minutes left in the auction.

It would be benificial to everybody - the sellers would get more $$$ and the regular buyers would have a chance to up their bid without having to watch the second hand of the clock.

Tough cookies for the snipers...