• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Larson Marvel Comics #1

65 posts in this topic

Wasn't Superman # 1 printed on three occasions, none of which are decernable from the actual first printing?

Theagenes provided the particulars regarding that several months ago here on the boards:

The 1st printing of Superman 1 includes a full page house ad for Action 14 with an announcement that it is "On Sale June 2nd."

The 2nd and 3rd printings have the same ad with the notice stating, "On Sale Now!"

.....but they all sell for the same price per grade. :acclaim:

Last time this was for sale on Heritage (doesn't seem that long ago)

Last listed on Heritage last November, according to the archives. Sold for $101,575.00.

Incidentally, am I misremembering or didn't we note when the Pay Copy was up recently that it did not sell at the auction? Perhaps it sold after the auction, it is now listed as sold for $204,999.99.

The "recent" sales picture for the top 4 copies looks like:

Pay Copy 9.0 $204,999.99. Aug 2007

Pay Copy 9.0 $201,250. Jan 2006

Denver 8.5 $172,500. Aug 2005

"Other 9.0" $161,000. Oct 2005

Larson 8.0 $101,575. Nov 2006

Source & more info:

http://comics.ha.com/common/auction/pricesrealized.php?&hdnSearch=true&src=&cboSaleNo=&col=&ord=&txtSearch=marvel+comics+1&cboDenomination=Golden+Age+%281938-1955%29%3A&col=Amount&ord=DESC&stage=1

Has Marvel # 1s become a day traders comicbook? I mean these books are flipped at an incredible rate. How many times has the Pay copy, Larson and Denver copies been sold in the last 5 years.Their the books that keep on FLIPPIN.

The Lason copy was once a beautiful deep Blue. It was indeed sun faded to a dull grey[as many Marvel ones are if you didnt know that] Yep, im old enough to know.

Any long range holders for a Marvel 1 out their?

Wasn't Superman # 1 printed on three occasions, none of which are decernable from the actual first printing?

Theagenes provided the particulars regarding that several months ago here on the boards:

The 1st printing of Superman 1 includes a full page house ad for Action 14 with an announcement that it is "On Sale June 2nd."

The 2nd and 3rd printings have the same ad with the notice stating, "On Sale Now!"

.....but they all sell for the same price per grade. :acclaim:

The Guide (generally) follows what collectors do (or what Bob happens to own). It currently doesn't break out prices between the different Superman 1 printings because collectors have not meaningfully differentiated between them thus far. If influential collectors/dealers suddenly started making a big deal out of it and prices actually started to meaningfully diverge because of the different printings, then the Guide would probably follow and start breaking them out (unless Bob only owns a 2nd printing :kidaround:). Once the Guide recognized the distinction, of course, then the divergence would accelerate because other collectors who didn't know about the difference would start making a big deal about it because the Guide did.

Same thing with the Oct/Nov Marvel 1s.

I remember the LARSON copy being listed for sale in the full page ads that Mr. Roter used to have in the Comic's Buyer's Guide.

This was years ago, but I seemed to remember it went under guide....maybe less than 30K. Anybody remember that ?

It's really a shame that the cover is faded now.

:hi:

When I get one, I will be!! :wishluck:

...better hope subprime comes back with guidelines better than a 720 score / no FTHB / 38 DTI / 14 tradelines / no condos, THS, Mobile, SDT / 60% LTV max / full-doc only / owner-occ only / 18 mos. reserves / 10 years seasoning on source of funds / no seller closing help / suburban only with 8 comps within 1 block of the subject / $0 deffered maintenance max / 10 BPS max compensation to you and 0x30 for the past 15 years! :baiting:

Steve

...better hope subprime comes back with guidelines better than a 720 score / no FTHB / 38 DTI / 14 tradelines / no condos, THS, Mobile, SDT / 60% LTV max / full-doc only / owner-occ only / 18 mos. reserves / 10 years seasoning on source of funds / no seller closing help / suburban only with 8 comps within 1 block of the subject / $0 deffered maintenance max / 10 BPS max compensation to you and 0x30 for the past 15 years! :baiting:

Steve

This may help with the last post. (thumbs u

Free online Greek to English Translator

:banana:

...not meant to sound negative / unappreciative of the Larson Marvel #1, but it seems to have a combo of 'less than ideal' attributes.....

November copy, faded cover, glue, previous but corrected PLOD......I don't know....I guess for the reasons I'm stating here, the book doesn't do much for me.......but I don't plan to bid, so it all worked out OK

Steve, RE: November copy

I know this has been covered in other threads so I am assuming this is just your personal opinion. But the fact that it is a November copy is not a negative. Faded, glue, resto removal are all things that are possibly "negatives". But anyone who would say that because it has the November overstamp it is undesirable, "less than ideal", or on the same level as the above "negatives" is, at the least, uninformed. Certainly the October copies have some cache over Novembers, but the November stamp does not make it less of a book in the eyes of most knowledgable collectors.

Steve Fishler has stated on a previous thread I was very involved in that he believed ( at least at that time ) that the November copies are a 2nd printing, and I also share this belief. I think when this was previously debated in a thread about Marvel #1, he and I were the only 2 to share this mindset......maybe it's a "Steve" thing.

I am also of the Ocotber is a 1st print camp simply because Ocotber comes before November (shrug) but what do I know?

Steve

Steve - I seem to be the only one who understands your post. I'm in between jobs right now because my former employer (a very large subprime lender) went bankrupt. Are you in the business?

Steve

Steve - I seem to be the only one who understands your post. I'm in between jobs right now because my former employer (a very large subprime lender) went bankrupt. Are you in the business?

I understood it from a Canadian perspective but I sure hope Steve is joking about some of those qualifying terms. I have been following this sub-prime stuff pretty closely and oddly enough they were saying that some firms were going to have to hire people because they are being bombarded by calls from people hoping to refinance. On the flip side a lot of that high ratio paper/product probably isn't available anymore. :eek:

...not meant to sound negative / unappreciative of the Larson Marvel #1, but it seems to have a combo of 'less than ideal' attributes.....

November copy, faded cover, glue, previous but corrected PLOD......I don't know....I guess for the reasons I'm stating here, the book doesn't do much for me.......but I don't plan to bid, so it all worked out OK

Steve, RE: November copy

I know this has been covered in other threads so I am assuming this is just your personal opinion. But the fact that it is a November copy is not a negative. Faded, glue, resto removal are all things that are possibly "negatives". But anyone who would say that because it has the November overstamp it is undesirable, "less than ideal", or on the same level as the above "negatives" is, at the least, uninformed. Certainly the October copies have some cache over Novembers, but the November stamp does not make it less of a book in the eyes of most knowledgable collectors.

Steve Fishler has stated on a previous thread I was very involved in that he believed ( at least at that time ) that the November copies are a 2nd printing, and I also share this belief. I think when this was previously debated in a thread about Marvel #1, he and I were the only 2 to share this mindset......maybe it's a "Steve" thing.

I am also of the Ocotber is a 1st print camp simply because Ocotber comes before November (shrug) but what do I know?

I am of the camp that says I'll take either one! Not picky enough to care about oct/nov. you know, I like Mr. Bedrocks view on things, I'll take both!