• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Percent Of Books ....

66 posts in this topic

I've asked for a handful of partial refunds,but there has only been one book I wanted to return.Jerk claimed I should have asked for a scan of the entire book if I was concerned about missing coupons,dispite the fact that the book was described as whole and intact.Needless to say,we exchanged negs.

I return very little from eBay, as those bastiches at Ground Zero Comics in Grass Valley, California taught me a lesson - returned the books and no refund - $140 lost on overgraded and restored Doom Patrols, and I no longer have the crappy books to show for it. They carefully stretched out the shipping times to make it unrecoverable from Paypal - now I do almost everything by credit card through Paypal.

linky

All the books I've ordered on the boards are within a half grade over/under, so no returns. Of course, with the large scans here on the boards, you know who is usually safe to order from.

Dealers: Books over $50, about a 30% return rate.

Ebay: Almost zero as I buy slabbed or consider overgrading in my bid.

Board Members: Only 1 return in maybe 50 purchases. However, a few partial refunds and I ate a $100 lot of $5 - $10 "NM" books with rusty staples. I was so disgusted, I just tossed them in a reader box.

So how do those dealers/sellers treat you when/if you decide to buy from them again.

Do they welcome you with open arms or just say "ugh not this guy again"?

So how do those dealers/sellers treat you when/if you decide to buy from them again.

Do they welcome you with open arms or just say "ugh not this guy again"?

Typically no problem. It's not a high volume of purchases, and it's spread over several dealers, so it's not like I'm someone they have to deal with all the time. I'm basing this on about 20 purchases over the last year or two.

My philosophy is that when I buy a $500+ book at premium prices, it damn well better be graded tightly. Otherwise I'm paying a super premium for a significantly lower graded book! As the price gets lower I may allow a little more wiggle room, but I've returned $20 books on principle if they were WAY off.

Ebay: Almost zero as I buy slabbed or consider overgrading in my bid.

Board Members: Only 1 return in maybe 50 purchases. However, a few partial refunds and I ate a $100 lot of $5 - $10 "NM" books with rusty staples. I was so disgusted, I just tossed them in a reader box.

:o I bought a $600+ golden age book CGC 9.0 off eBay that had rusty staples. I called up CGC to get grader's notes, so I could figure out if this happened before or after slabbing -you know, poor storage conditions in a fire proof safe, etc. The grader told me that they wouldn't even note such a flaw (rusty staples) on a book of that grade unless it had significantly migrated into the paper. :P

The grader told me that they wouldn't even note such a flaw (rusty staples) on a book of that grade unless it had significantly migrated into the paper. :P

:screwy:

I can't believe that there are many collectors that DON'T care a great deal about rusty staples. Boggles the mind...

The grader told me that they wouldn't even note such a flaw (rusty staples) on a book of that grade unless it had significantly migrated into the paper. :P

I can't believe that there are many collectors that DON'T care a great deal about rusty staples. Boggles the mind...

Rusty staples and water damage are verboten in my collection...

Jim

Jim

And trimming and pressing and....., Just add it to the reasons that you may have not to trust CGC grading. I couldn't believe this one either.

Ebay: Lately, about a third of the RAW books I purchase, even though I try to ask the seller specific questions, and request scans to be sent to me. It is a crapshoot on Ebay. Sometimes you get some gems, sometimes you get some dogs!

When I get a minor misgrade, I request a partial refund if it is worth keeping. If a significant misgrade or major dog, I ask for a full refund and return it with Delivery confirmation. Actually, most of the time, the sellers are cooperative. You do need to keep the email language at a professional level and mention that you will be happy to provide them with positive feedback for taking care of this. Sometimes they do make honest mistakes (e.g.overlooking the popped staple, tear, writing or missing coupon). Heck, I've overlooked things myself. It's the Circle of Comic Life.

Boards: Not much problem here, Thank Odin.

I return very little from eBay, as those bastiches at Ground Zero Comics in Grass Valley, California taught me a lesson - returned the books and no refund - $140 lost on overgraded and restored Doom Patrols, and I no longer have the crappy books to show for it. They carefully stretched out the shipping times to make it unrecoverable from Paypal - now I do almost everything by credit card through Paypal.

linky

All the books I've ordered on the boards are within a half grade over/under, so no returns. Of course, with the large scans here on the boards, you know who is usually safe to order from.

why did you even bother with the horrible feedback they already had?

I have had a few returns (just missed some damage to a book Greggy had to return) and a couple of mis steps with grading. This happens frequently if I have not had a chance to carefully examine every book, but am rushing to get things up. I've also had to return books as well -- but I view this simply as a pitfall of doing business on the internet.

Generally, more expensive books I tend to be very, very careful with in terms of grading. That said, my experience on the boards is that a select few are super tight while most are either accurate or a little generous.

I find that only a few dealers are more accuarte with their grades than not. Bob Storms being one of the kings, but Sulipa, Payette and a few others. If Vinny Zurzolo tells me he graded the book himself and has rechecked it, it is almost always spot on. We may disagree about certain defects, but generally, it's an accurate grade.

Frankly, I like buying from Nik, Nick (Flaming Telepath) and Andy (october) more than anyone else... but there in bulk lots, nochips and ft88 have been incredible with their bronze sales to me.

Ive only returned one book before, to mycomicshop.com , they emailed me agreeing that the grade was way off, and offered to refund the cash or they would give me store credit. They were very good and fast about it :)

Ive only returned one book before, to mycomicshop.com , they emailed me agreeing that the grade was way off, and offered to refund the cash or they would give me store credit. They were very good and fast about it :)
You're the wuss that doesn't return anything even though they are totally fugged up. :baiting:

linky

why did you even bother with the horrible feedback they already had?

They didn't have that horrible feedback when I bid on those books - they had 100 % positive feedback. I had also ordered a couple books previously from them with no problems.

I've returned books to a couple of dealers with no problems. Recently returned an overgraded book with (undisclosed) amatuer resto on ebay. Took a couple of tries, but got a full refund. Dependent on the book and price, if it's overgraded I'll just hold on to it or ask for a partial refund. If it's undisclosed resto, then I'll return it every time.

Angelo

I've only returned one book bought off of ebay. I certainly try to limit the need for returns by sticking to big scans and sellers I'm familar with. The one return came from a spur of the moment buy that I knew better than to bid on. It hasn't taken a 2nd burn for me to learn to stick to the plan.

I've had one return as a seller. The buyer thought the grade was off by 2 grades( :screwy:). I resold it at the original grade and the new buyer was overjoyed with the book. :headbang:

Probably less than 5%. Not because I didn't disagree with the grade because I generally don't agree with most grades but because there was an egregious grading error or flaw or if it was expensive enough. I can't be bother with the smaller items you send me. ;)

I buy all Greggy's returns and castaway's . . . :grin:

Jim

Those would be second and third behind tape. I hate tape. :mad: