• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman ashcan sells for $90,000!!!!!

91 posts in this topic

I've gotten to know Matt really well over the past month or so. And while it is true that he has a lot of money to spend, he is a very smart guy!

Adam, Matt is in very good hands dealing with you.... but please make sure he is aware of the Nic Cage scenario; I'd hate to see yet another big money collector/investor fall victim to ___________________.

You mean the Nic Cage scenario where he was supplied with a letter for each individual book he bought. A letter that stated if a book was unrestored or restored and gave details of what that restoration was. You mean that scenario?

Would anyone like to view the letters? I have the copies.

S

:popcorn:

I agree with you that restored books are not likely to triple in value in the next five years again. That was almost certainly a one-time thing. Where I disagree is your assumption that PLODs have already fully recovered. I think they still have a ways to go.

As a non-customer of restored books, I was acknowledging the market swing back from the abyss that PLODs took early on. But still not being a fan of them compared to their untouched cousins, I was stating it simply as a market correction that has already occurrd, or 90% of it anyway. The easy money in buying distressed PLODS has come and go and future profits will be slower and smaller.

but then again, for Action and Tec 27 who knows. Demand may keep even the franken copies flying off the shelves.

I've gotten to know Matt really well over the past month or so. And while it is true that he has a lot of money to spend, he is a very smart guy!

Adam, Matt is in very good hands dealing with you.... but please make sure he is aware of the Nic Cage scenario; I'd hate to see yet another big money collector/investor fall victim to ___________________.

You mean the Nic Cage scenario where he was supplied with a letter for each individual book he bought. A letter that stated if a book was unrestored or restored and gave details of what that restoration was. You mean that scenario?

S

well sheeeoot, steve. you might as well post em now that youve offerred to do it. Im sure people are interested in seeing them.

S

well sheeeoot, steve. you might as well post em now that youve offerred to do it. Im sure people are interested in seeing them.

I have 3 files full of them. If someone stops by the office, I will be happy to show them. Keep in mind they are copies. Not sure where the originals are they days. They were sent to a gentleman named Jack Oliver. It is possible he still has them.

S

S

I have 3 files full of them. If someone stops by the office, I will be happy to show them. Keep in mind they are copies. Not sure where the originals are they days. They were sent to a gentleman named Jack Oliver. It is possible he still has them.

S

Am I the only one thinking "next key item in Heritage's Signature Auction" ?

S

S

Show me a couple on the bigger ticketed items like Marvel 1 letter. I, being a lowly collector of good to very good Golden Age books can barely afford to collect what I have, let alone fly out to your place of residence to look at something that you've mentioned here almost in defiance. (shrug)

I agree with you that restored books are not likely to triple in value in the next five years again. That was almost certainly a one-time thing. Where I disagree is your assumption that PLODs have already fully recovered. I think they still have a ways to go.

As a non-customer of restored books, I was acknowledging the market swing back from the abyss that PLODs took early on. But still not being a fan of them compared to their untouched cousins, I was stating it simply as a market correction that has already occurrd, or 90% of it anyway. The easy money in buying distressed PLODS has come and go and future profits will be slower and smaller.

but then again, for Action and Tec 27 who knows. Demand may keep even the franken copies flying off the shelves.

I'll be happiest when franken books are more clearly distinguished from their other restored cousins, and not heaped onto the same pile.

But hey... don't let little things like not knowing the seller, not knowing the buyer, not knowing anything about the deal you are discussing, not knowing anything about the books in question, and not knowing anything about the prices paid stop you from spewing whatever the hell that garbage was...

And here I thought jumping to conclusions based on incomplete information was the whole point of these sorts of threads. (shrug)

There is no middle position. If he bought an unrestored 7.5 Superman 1 and unrestored 8.5 Detective 27, I`d congratulate him for entering the hobby in the right way, getting good advice and making great decisions.

If he bought restored copies of the same books, he made a terrible decision and got terrible advice (I`m assuming he didn`t get them for bargain basement prices). For the cash he probably had to splash out to get those pieces of PLOD toxic waste plus the ashcan, he could`ve acquired some fantastic big ticket high grade unrestored GA keys.

IMO, I have to disagree with you on this. There is nothing wrong with buying restored books, as long as you know what you are getting. In fact, with restored books seeming selling at record lows over the past few years now seems to be the time to buy before they increase, especially slight and moderately restored copies. hm

West

During my conversation with Matt he had nothing but praise for Adam. In fact he went out of his way to praise him for "making sure I understood completely everything I was buying. I couldn't believe how honest he is." I don't believe anyone would say something like this unless they were very experienced in buying high-end collectibles.

He also asked my opinion of restored books. My answer was almost exactly the same as West's. I added that the eye-appeal of slight/moderately restored keys is a major element of their value. Knowing that this beautiful book is indeed beautiful and not artificially created gives the owner great satisfaction.

Stephen,

If you don't mind, can we also please see scans of the Superman Ashcan you own? Thats pretty big news about a book that has been thought not to exist for over 20 years.

Maybe it's the exact same situation as the alleged copy of Double Action (that suddenly popped up out of nowhere) which turned out to be a frankenbook cover proof with false interiors...gee, I wonder what Greed Merchant tried to peddle that book? (shrug)

Fishler - maybe aman just meant the "nic cage situation" in terms of the hired help making off with the goods.

Exactly Bronty...any time that mega expensive books are around, theft by the "hired help" should be of serious concern (the Crippen situation would be another example).

Why do you suppose Stephen Fishler became so defensive when Nic Cage and the spectre of being ripped off casually came up?

Gee, I just can't imagine... (shrug)

Stephen,

If you don't mind, can we also please see scans of the Superman Ashcan you own? Thats pretty big news about a book that has been thought not to exist for over 20 years.

Maybe it's the exact same situation as the alleged copy of Double Action (that suddenly popped up out of nowhere) which turned out to be a frankenbook cover proof with false interiors...gee, I wonder what Greed Merchant tried to peddle that book? (shrug)

I will gladly pay $100,000 for authentic copies of Double Action 1 and Triple Action 1.

Stephen,

I will gladly pay $100,000 for authentic copies of Double Action 1 and Triple Action 1.

I will gladly pay $100,010.99 for authentic copies of Double Action 1 and Triple Action 1. :devil:

Stephen,

I will gladly pay $100,010.99 for authentic copies of Double Action 1 and Triple Action 1. :devil:

$12 each!

gator