• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A very public pressing

120 posts in this topic

Can someone explain why additional pressings are not performed? Just curious.

BTW... I already have Matt's number and e-mail. :)

Yes, perhaps someone could...and you already seem to have his number and email. :makepoint::grin:

The only reason I am asking is because I have this old house with an attic and... :whistle:

Really nice looking books Steve!

The talk of disassembly has raised a couple questions in my mind. I hope to not start a debate and am really just curious.

Is it possible for a professional to remove staples and reinsert them with the end result appearing as if nothing had ever been done? Also, is disassembly ever noted on a slab label?

Thanks,

-Bob

...now infamous in the GA section of the Boards, these are the 2 "coffee can" comics I purchased on eBay several months ago.....so nicknamed due to them having been stored in a coffee can for 50+ years according to the seller. The 1st few pics were taken by the seller for the auction, and the last 4 I took..... the books just arrived back to me today from Matt Nelson.

The point of this thread......with all the questionable negative threads and "press" over pressing in our hobby, who here thinks that this is not the best case for pressing 2 books............ever? :popcorn:

Steve

Seriously, that's the best he could do? :insane:

Are coffee cans acid free? The PQ on those books look amazing.

Cans maybe. Coffee no.

Boy, that's for sure. I love coffee, I love tea.....err...I can only drink so much cofee because it will irritate my tummy. I'm trying some Celebese Kalossi because it is supposed to have less acid. We'll see if that helps.

Cans maybe. Coffee no.

Boy, that's for sure. I love coffee, I love tea.....err...I can only drink so much cofee because it will irritate my tummy. I'm trying some Celebese Kalossi because it is supposed to have less acid. We'll see if that helps.

Personal information. :eek:

Cans maybe. Coffee no.

He said tummy.

lol

Cans maybe. Coffee no.

He said tummy.

lol

The grandkids are over...Speech gets modified..... sorry about the personal information. I'll check back in later, I have to go potty.

I am a self-proclaimed "PQ Superfreak", and WHITE, supple, sweet smelling pages on a GA book are absolute :cloud9:

I just love books with great PQ !!!!

We spend all this time and effort on covers / cover condition etc etc, but the cover only represents maybe 5% of a comic?

I am a self-proclaimed "PQ Superfreak", and WHITE, supple, sweet smelling pages on a GA book are absolute :cloud9:

I just love books with great PQ !!!!

We spend all this time and effort on covers / cover condition etc etc, but the cover only represents maybe 5% of a comic?

I couldn't agree more. Nothing in comic collecting bothers me more, than seeing a dark paged , tanning book in a slab. Or a shiny restored book with old, tanned pages. I'd rather have a vg cover with white pages than a fine with tan pages. That's why so many of the Crippen book are abhorent to me. I also think grading standards are way out of whack when it come to page quality and that a lot of suckers are holding on to slabbed, ticking time bombs. So of course, buy the book not the grade. Let's be careful out there, people.

Nice books, very fresh looking.

What would you say their grades were pre and post pressing?

My assessment:

MF67 4.5 WHITE

HT12 7.0 WHITE

CGC's grade / just completed today

MF67 4.0 OW/W

HT12 7.0 OW/W

It doesn't get much closer than that!

( although I REALLY think a different grader on a different day would have gone with WHITE pages, but OW/W on any GA book is still pretty darn nice PQ )

Steve

Nice books, very fresh looking.

What would you say their grades were pre and post pressing?

My assessment:

MF67 4.5 WHITE

HT12 7.0 WHITE

CGC's grade / just completed today

MF67 4.0 OW/W

HT12 7.0 OW/W

It doesn't get much closer than that!

( although I REALLY think a different grader on a different day would have gone with WHITE pages, but OW/W on any GA book is still pretty darn nice PQ )

Steve

:applause: