• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please Grade This Hulk #1- Not Great Pics So Be Warned!

What Grade Is This Hulk #1?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. What Grade Is This Hulk #1?

19 posts in this topic

Hey all! First, I have to apologize for the pics- best available. To compensate, I've tried to include some detailed notes. So, what do you experts think?

100_0548.jpg

100_0549.jpg

100_0550.jpg

100_0551.jpg

-Staples are attached but a little loose

-C-Fold detached at top staple, but tight on bottom

-Noticeable moisture along top of front and back cover; also found on front splash (though less noticeable)

-Foxing on front cover, mostly along top edge

-1/16-1/4" spine split

-2x 1/2" tear on FC

-1 3/4" tear on FC

-A little bit of writing in the "U" of HULK

-slight blunting on corners

-Two 1/2"x1/16" triangle pieces missing on BC

-One 1/16"x1/16" rectangle missing on BC

-OW to Creamy pages (more towards creamy)

Insides look good, but its the front cover that brings it down IMO. Back cover isn't in bad shape, just a little wear on par with a low-grade. Still, a readable copy to be sure.

Water damage is most visable on the front and a little on the back- top only though. There really isn't any waviness, just the markings. You know the deal. There is some (though not as much) moisture markings on the top part of the front splash page, but that really seemed to be the extent of it.

This actually isn't from the LCS I normally frequent, but a collector I've gotten to know from our local show. He's asking around book value on it. He also had a really, really nice looking Avengers #1 but was missing an ad page (didn't affect the storyline) and was asking around $225 for it- a little bit below guide for a 2.0. Anyhow, a fellow ASM collector was in the market for this, but wasn't sure where the grading sat so I thought I'd toss it up here for a board verdict. :)

I'll say 2.0 because it's Hulk #1 but if it was your average SA book then it would probably get a 1.8. CGC just hammers water stains! I bought a book that looked like an 8.5 but was given a 3.0 because of water stains on the BC. It was much more affordable though and is the best looking 3.0 I own!

You thinking of picking this one up? Good luck!

The doobie your avatar is smoking is almost finished? :shrug: lol

Zappa was a notorious straight-edge crusader. He didn't do drugs or drink. (Copious amounts of nicotine and caffeine apparently didn't count.).

Those staples look rusty to me, especially the bottom. That'd be a deal-breaker for me, unless the book was cheap enough to warrant replacement costs.