• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some questions about grading.

11 posts in this topic

I'm rather new to comicbook collecting and have been trying on my own to grade my comics as best I can. I was wondering if there might be some pictures that might help me determin the color (yellow, brown) of pages? I can say for sure that a few of my comics have yellow pages, but not quite brown. It's a bit hard to tell what would be considered a light tan as compared to a yellow for example. I'm thinking maybe some pictures might do the trick and clear things up a bit.

What exactly defines a NM comicbook to a Mint one as far as wether or not the book has been read? Say for example I bought a comicbook, read it once causing no wear of any kind. Is it still considered mint, or is it now NM? Obviously there would be wear just by opening it, but if it was not noticeable?

And finally, what about printing defects, and serrated pages? How does this take away from the overall grade? I have a few older comicbooks that have serrated edges at the bottom of some pages, and some others that have of center printing, and other like minded mistakes that where made during the actual comic manufacturing.

Thanks for any assistance.

While I have qualms with the size of the photots, I do agree the OS Grading Guide is the way to start. I DO like that checklist concept they introduced in the new one.

When you start getting into the really high end - 9.8 and above, very often it isn;t reading problems but that term you will see bandied about from time to time here - QP (Quality Of Production). In the upper ranges things like perfectly centered covers, right on the edge of the spine staples etc. start becoming factors as well.

Hopefully it will help a bit, but unfortunately what you bought was a PDF version of the Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide, *not* the Grading Guide. Two separate books. There *is* of course a section on grading in the Price Guide, which was cut down quite a bit from the more expansive material in the Grading Guide, but it will at least give you a start.

Arnold

Geez, Arnold, I was just layin' a guilt trip on ya! ...If I drop 20 lbs. and 20 years and move to the mountains, will ya send me a copy too? Might be worth it... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Seriously, what a nice gesture on your part - did the guy PM you, or just drop off the face of the earth?