• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When DOES The GA End?

25 posts in this topic

Great topic!! However, is there a comic book that ends the Golden Age and one that starts the Atomic Age?

Great question! Any of you historians out there have any thoughts on that?

"What time did the Dark Ages begin?"

As in other discussions of silver/bronze and such, I think that the "Age" changes have to be treated as gradual. One book can slide into the Atomic Age early while another remains in the Golden Age much longer.

That being said, Sensation Comics 106 (last Wonder Woman) to 107 (Johnny Peril, Jan-Feb 1952) is a useful marker at DC. Flash Comics 104 (Feb 1949) isn't a bad GA ending, and corresponds well with Marvel Mystery Comics 92 (June 1949).

Jack

I'd have to agree that generally Atomic Age issues are a bit different than what I would consider Golden Age (basically WWII plus a little for me).

Here's a pickup from the CLink auction that is actually my first Atomic Age (and first Cold War cover):

Wings_123.jpg

Wonderful colors on that book! :applause:

Welcome to the Atomic Age! :hi:

Great topic!! However, is there a comic book that ends the Golden Age and one that starts the Atomic Age?

Great question! Any of you historians out there have any thoughts on that?

"What time did the Dark Ages begin?"

As in other discussions of silver/bronze and such, I think that the "Age" changes have to be treated as gradual. One book can slide into the Atomic Age early while another remains in the Golden Age much longer.

That being said, Sensation Comics 106 (last Wonder Woman) to 107 (Johnny Peril, Jan-Feb 1952) is a useful marker at DC. Flash Comics 104 (Feb 1949) isn't a bad GA ending, and corresponds well with Marvel Mystery Comics 92 (June 1949).

Jack

I generally place the major inflection point in the 1946/47 time frame as you start to see superhero titles dropping like flies to be replaced by teenager books, romance books, crime books, funny animal books, and good girl books. The switchover from hero titles to others started in 1946 (maybe even 45) and continued through 1951.

The Golden Age ended in my opinion in 1949 with Captain America Comics 74, the dimise of the GA really was much earlier around mid to end of 1946. The proliferation of Atomic based covers, horror, Sci-fi, really didn't hit stride untill 1950.

I personally group comics into these groups.

Up untill Action 1 Plat. Age

Starting with Action 1 June 1938 and ending with Captain America Comic 74 Oct. 1949 Golden Age

The Atomic Age is 11/1949 Until Sept./Oct. 1956 with Showcase 4

So with 9/1956 or Showcase for we have the what I like to call Pre-Silver Age Until Marvel Comics began publishing the Atlas titles in around 10/1959. The reason I do not include comics from Showcase 4 to this point is the style and type of books reflected had not changed, DC continued this style well into the 1960's, it was Marvel this point which forever changed the industry and style.

11/1959 Strange Tales, Tales of Suspense, and Tales to Astonish along with a few Western Titles started a change. The attitude reflected the youth of America which Culminated in the birth of Fantastic Four, Hulk, Spiderman ect... and forever changed comics....The Silver Age! Which would continue upto Green Lantern 76.

Bronze Age begining with GL 76 4/1970 is perfect, and this is why. The story lines had alread changed along with art and style for DC, but Neal Adams compelling art and the fantastic story and subject matter shook the comic world. At this time Marvel books really had not changed much in style or content from the mid 60's. This book GL 76 ushered in a new realm and style more than any other book. This age continued in my opinion until Frank Miller's run on DD begining with issue 159 5/1979.

The Copper age in my opinion starts with Millers run of DD, and culminates with the Watchmen/Crisis on infinate earths/AMZ 252 with the rebirth of DC characters. The Coper age ends with Batman Killing Joke in 1988.

The Modern Age then begins with Amazing Spiderman 300, and goes untill Ultimate Spiderman in 10/2000.

Current- Ultimate SPM to present.

Just my take on the comic timeline....

Schommy