• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When DOES The GA End?

25 posts in this topic

I picked up this book today. It is the first pre 1960s book that I have ever owned and it started me thinking, 'Is this a GA book?'

I'd be very interested in everyone's opinion. Are the EC books GA or Atomic Age and is the Atomic Age a sub-set of the GA?

It seems to me that these 50's books, like the ECs had a distinctly different feel to their predecessors making them a different era.

Feel free to educate me on this matter, thanks

Frontlinecombat-5558x780.jpg

Congrats on your purchase. Excellent choice :applause:

For me, the Atom Age has always been a subset of the GA. That's probably since when I started collecting there were only 3 ages: Gold, Silver and Modern. At that time ECs were definitely GA books. I have no problem with AA being its own age--that's just not how I think of those books.

Well, that certainly clears things up hm

So is the Atomic Age a clear and distinct age unto itself, or is it widely considered a part of the GA?

I have seen the Atomic Age mentioned on the Boards, but it doesn't have any thread dedicated specifically to it, so I have this feeling that there isn't any clear cut distinction, or am I simply trying to put too fine a point on it?

For me, the Atom Age has always been a subset of the GA. That's probably since when I started collecting there were only 3 ages: Gold, Silver and Modern. At that time ECs were definitely GA books. I have no problem with AA being its own age--that's just not how I think of those books.

Thanks (thumbs u

That's pretty mush how I feel about it, that AA is a subset of the GA, but I wouldn't be surprised to find it defined as it's own distinct era soon.

I picked up this book today. It is the first pre 1960s book that I have ever owned and it started me thinking, 'Is this a GA book?'

I'd be very interested in everyone's opinion. Are the EC books GA or Atomic Age and is the Atomic Age a sub-set of the GA?

It seems to me that these 50's books, like the ECs had a distinctly different feel to their predecessors making them a different era.

Feel free to educate me on this matter, thanks

Frontlinecombat-5558x780.jpg

Congrats on the book. I see 143ksk already answered your question. A lot of hard-core GA collectors do see a difference and don't collect Atomic Age books while some other focus on the AA, that non-heroic age that offers so much variety. Welcome to the craziness.

You must have bought the purple variant cover on Frontline Combat 5 b/c my copy's colors are different. That's the first thing that stroke me when I saw your book -

46550-FrontlineCombat5ss.jpg.c203babf418bc4da6961fba3f195cb40.jpg

Thanks Scrooge!

So, is there a known 'purple variant' or am I just looking at a seriously faded copy?

In hand it certainly doesn't appear to be faded, but the copies on your copy are certainly sharper.

Thanks (thumbs u

That's pretty mush how I feel about it, that AA is a subset of the GA, but I wouldn't be surprised to find it defined as it's own distinct era soon.

The GA was heavily superhero centric while the Atomic Age was relatively balanced amongst genres, with the added dose of elements that inspired the comics code. Thus Atomic Age seems to me to be a useful distinction.

Thanks Scrooge!

So, is there a known 'purple variant' or am I just looking at a seriously faded copy?

In hand it certainly doesn't appear to be faded, but the copies on your copy are certainly sharper.

No there is no known purple variant. It was a joke as you understood. I was debating between a) fading or b) yours didn't get its dose or the proper dose of blues. Note how the yellows on your copy are strong and don't look faded and that the reds aren't punched up because of a lack of something in them. I believe it isn't fading but that it happened during production. In fact, the color scheme works quite well with the cover!

According to Heritage:

Golden Age (1938-1955)

Silver Age (1956-1969)

Bronze Age (1970-1979)

Modern Age (1980-Present)

I'll leave the details to the experts.

these are indeed the popularly held distinctions, and I concur. Those who collect 1950's books may disagree however......

According to Heritage:

Golden Age (1938-1955)

Silver Age (1956-1969)

Bronze Age (1970-1979)

Modern Age (1980-Present)

I'll leave the details to the experts.

these are indeed the popularly held distinctions, and I concur. Those who collect 1950's books may disagree however......

I agree Bill (thumbs u

Well, that certainly clears things up hm

So is the Atomic Age a clear and distinct age unto itself, or is it widely considered a part of the GA?

I have seen the Atomic Age mentioned on the Boards, but it doesn't have any thread dedicated specifically to it, so I have this feeling that there isn't any clear cut distinction, or am I simply trying to put too fine a point on it?

There is a 73 page thread dedicated to the Atomic age. It just got somewhat buried.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=747121&page=6&fpart=1

Thanks for everyone's input!

I definitely feel that the AA stuff is different in style than it's GA predecessors, So I can say that I have finally crossed over into the Atomic Age but not quite in the GA, and who knows if I will ever take that final step.

I'd have to agree that generally Atomic Age issues are a bit different than what I would consider Golden Age (basically WWII plus a little for me).

Here's a pickup from the CLink auction that is actually my first Atomic Age (and first Cold War cover):

Wings_123.jpg

I would first look into the conversions to even start answering that question. Others would point out to the new genres first: First Horror, First Romance, ... but of more interest would be the likes of the More Fun changes, Thrilling changes, MMCs to Marvel Tales, ... too many for me to catalog right now. Maybe later this week ...