• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mile High Comics

307 posts in this topic

So your proof is that one book? Sorry, but everyone can make a mistake. CGC has even admitted to making one every once in a while. I know how to grade and I've bought from Mile High over the years. They have never been that far off on any of the books I bought.

I have no opinion on MH's grading, having never made any purchases from them...

Just curious - have you ever bought any comics from MH that you thought were UNDERgraded? If so, what is the percentages of comics you've bought that you thought were overgraded, graded right, and undergraded?

I thought I already answered that, but perhaps you're not bothering to read the thread. The majority of bronze Hulks and Spideys I've bought from him are pretty much right on the mark. Some look closer to VF/NM to NM- to me, but only maybe 10 percent of them. Granted, there weren't many that I thought were going to hit the NM+ to NM/M range, but most of them were solid copies.

I keep hearing a lot of hearsay and words like "testimonials" thrown out, but so far I've only seen one piece of evidence. And this wasn't even a book that was submitted to CGC by the person that posted it. It was just one they "supposedly" recognized in a CGC case later AFTER they returned it to Mile High. Please. This is the so called evidence that gets you people so eager to jump on the Bash Chuck Train everytime it enters the station. I think some of you need to take up additional hobbies.

Speaking of monkeys, the people in here seem to be responding like well trained animals. I wonder how many of you have truly gave Mile High a decent chance and how many are just repeating what they've heard. Maybe next you all can show me how you balance a ball on your nose.

In my case, I'm repeating what I've seen from other collectors I've encountered in person and whose scans I've seen in e-mail or in these forums. Would you like to share some scans of the comics you've bought from them? A greater shared source of information on the subject would definitely be helpful.

So now the employees of Mile High are monkeys? Do you people listen to yourselves? I mean really I get your point but why do you have to insult everybody all the time.

No, they're not monkeys. It was an attempt at levity, but a bad one since you're getting rather defensive about your position now...my fault.

I'm sure Chuck himself is a great grader; certainly the essay I linked to shows that he must be. But based upon the 10-20 samples I've seen of them overgrading, I question whether he trains his employees in grading.

I didn't try to start a fight I just posted that I had gotten good books from Mile High and here come fifty people to call me an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. You would think the slogan of CGC is "We hate Mile High" because anyone who comes here and says anything gets all these people telling them they are an insufficiently_thoughtful_person and they are being taken advantage and they just don't know it yet so they must be naive too. I try to tell people I had a good experience and here are all these people to tell me how stupid I am for not knowing any better. It's no wonder there's so many grumpy people here. And I am sure you people are all gonna point and laugh about me later and how stupid I was for liking Mile High.

If you were pleased with your purchase from Mile High then I say that's great. I don't have any problem with what anybody else does with their money. In my experience, I bought over the years several books (more than 25) from them because when I was younger, they were the biggest ad I saw. I didn't go to shows, and they had way more than any local shop. I bought a number of what were then relatively inexpensive books that I was happy with, but I wasn't looking to grade them or anything else... they were fine, NMs and modern. A few years later (maybe 4 or 5 years ago) I bought about 5 or 6 books (silver/bronze) and was very disappointed with the grading. Now, the books I bought were grossly overgraded and I haven't ordered from them since.

Put this board aside for a second. Before I ever joined this board, the reputation of Mile High among the silver/bronze collectors I knew was don't buy from them unless you can see the books up close, and be prepared to pay through the nose. I never met any collector who didn't feel they weren't taking a risk by buying from them.

If you are satisfied with Mile High's service... then fine. There's obviously many people who are just fine with it. They don't see it as overgrading. If you try reselling those books, I think you'll have a hard time with them. Of the major dealers I deal with, I've had a difficult time saying that there's a respectable comparison of the grading and price of the Mile High books than from the dealers I deal with on a regular basis.

I for one, don't like Mile High's service regarding back issues, and I don't really like Chuck Rozanski from the little I know of him... therefore, I divert my business elsewhere.

Speaking of monkeys, the people in here seem to be responding like well trained animals. I wonder how many of you have truly gave Mile High a decent chance and how many are just repeating what they've heard. Maybe next you all can show me how you balance a ball on your nose.

In my case, I'm repeating what I've seen from other collectors I've encountered in person and whose scans I've seen in e-mail or in these forums. Would you like to share some scans of the comics you've bought from them? A greater shared source of information on the subject would definitely be helpful.

I would be glad to but I don't have a scanner. I'd still like to see this mountain of evidence against them that everyone always seems to insinuate is out there. So far, I haven't seen much except for a lot of people jumping on the bash Mile High bandwagon.

We both know that's not going to happen. I use that same trick when my union members start complaining about not getting everything going their way.

The difference here is that I meant what I said. It wasn't a trick, it was an attempt to get you to understand what has gone into the grading standard that Overstreet and CGC have perpetuated through the industry. If you're not interested in it, that's fine...but condemning it without even having studied it is narrow-minded.

I accept that but we both know that no grading committee is going to be filled with normal everyday collectors. It will be dealers and big spenders who decide what the standards are. You wouldn't have the power to invite me anyway and no one would listen to what I said because my wallet wasn;'t big enough. They wouldn't want 200 guys like me there in the ffirst place.

I have a few hundred comics I have bought from a lot of different people and Mile High grades as well as any of them.

Were they mostly Moderns? Or would you like to share some dealer names? Many of us are aware of tight-grading dealers you may have encountered.

I mostly buy at stores and at the Austin Collector's Expo. I go to Houston sometimes and buy from Bedrock but they stopped having their books where you could see them so I have bought a few from a guy called Black Cat and a guy named Fairluss and some other dealers at shows and then some from eBay but most of those I just by reader copies anyway so the grade doesn't matter much.

So your proof is that one book? Sorry, but everyone can make a mistake. CGC has even admitted to making one every once in a while. I know how to grade and I've bought from Mile High over the years. They have never been that far off on any of the books I bought. It's like you people just have something against chuck. He found the Edgar Church Collection. Well he must be a jerk then. Then he found the Mile High II collection. Well, that auctomatically makes him a double jerk. Then he found the Dallas Stephens collection. Well, he's now a triple jerk and everyone should make fun of him some more. Sounds like a bunch of bitter hypocrites to me who are angry at the guy because he found all of these great collections and all you people can do is complain about it.

I take issue with the bold - he certainly didn't find either the MH2 or the Dallas Stevens collections - those were both publicly marketed.

The issue with Chuck is his distortion of the objective truth.

DAM

I'm looking for hard evidence. You say their books were overgraded. I say I've received a lot of accurately graded books from them. Where's all the hard proof that causes the people in here to all think the same way? Seems like I could talk to a roomfull of taperecorders playing the same message and not even be able to tell the difference.

So your proof is that one book? Sorry, but everyone can make a mistake. CGC has even admitted to making one every once in a while. I know how to grade and I've bought from Mile High over the years. They have never been that far off on any of the books I bought. It's like you people just have something against chuck. He found the Edgar Church Collection. Well he must be a jerk then. Then he found the Mile High II collection. Well, that auctomatically makes him a double jerk. Then he found the Dallas Stephens collection. Well, he's now a triple jerk and everyone should make fun of him some more. Sounds like a bunch of bitter hypocrites to me who are angry at the guy because he found all of these great collections and all you people can do is complain about it.

I take issue with the bold - he certainly didn't find either the MH2 or the Dallas Stevens collections - those were both publicly marketed.

DAM

Even emphasizes my point more. Everyone had an opportunity at these collections and Chuck beat them all. Sounds like a smart guy that is running a successful comic business and supplying a lot of happy collectors with nice books. Quite a different picture from what you people try to portray him as in here.

stop demanding hard evidence already. Youre happy with MH? go right ahead. Both of you guys are showing so much attitude about this and getting so sensitive about this. The other guy came out of nowhere and stated that MH treated him correctly and therefore the rest of us must be wrong! He KNEW we had already made up our minds about MH. and STILL shoued in defiance how well he was treated by MH

WHAT DID YOU EXPECT????

have you read the many threads with lots of personal anecdotes and tales of woe about comics we have bought from them in the past?? THERES your evidence. Go back and read it and dont expect u sto retype everything said over MONTHS here on the boards.

I swear, ONE of these guys is DEFINITELY HAMMER!!!

So now the employees of Mile High are monkeys? Do you people listen to yourselves? I mean really I get your point but why do you have to insult everybody all the time.

No, they're not monkeys. It was an attempt at levity, but a bad one since you're getting rather defensive about your position now...my fault.

I'm sure Chuck himself is a great grader; certainly the essay I linked to shows that he must be. But based upon the 10-20 samples I've seen of them overgrading, I question whether he trains his employees in grading.

I didn't try to start a fight I just posted that I had gotten good books from Mile High and here come fifty people to call me an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. You would think the slogan of CGC is "We hate Mile High" because anyone who comes here and says anything gets all these people telling them they are an insufficiently_thoughtful_person and they are being taken advantage and they just don't know it yet so they must be naive too. I try to tell people I had a good experience and here are all these people to tell me how stupid I am for not knowing any better. It's no wonder there's so many grumpy people here. And I am sure you people are all gonna point and laugh about me later and how stupid I was for liking Mile High.

Just as I thought... there's dozens of people to act high and mighty and condescending when I start the thread and when I call you out for the playground bullies you are you run away. Mr "Lottery Ticket" throws his one insult and then goes back to beating up puppies and kittens. I take back what I said a few days ago. You are a tool, Joke of Lecter.

DAM

Even emphasizes my point more. Everyone had an opportunity at these collections and Chuck beat them all. Sounds like a smart guy that is running a successful comic business and supplying a lot of happy collectors with nice books. Quite a different picture from what you people try to portray him as in here.

My definition of success wouldn't include selling over graded books to people that don't know any better at 2-3x near mint guide values. That would be taking advantage of them. Kind of reminds me of a story I once heard of this guy who found a great golden age collection and only paid $2K for what was estimated at the time to be worth in excess of $600K?

My advice: look over both shoulders.

DAM

The Dallas Steph was TURNED down by many top dealers. Did you know that?

MH collection was another story.

The MH2 warehouse was acquired fairly, it seems to me, though the tale was greatly embellished.

The MH2 warehouse was acquired fairly, it seems to me, though the tale was greatly embellished.

The original MH collection is ancient history at this point I don't think anyone will ever really know what happened with that and yeah Chuck paid too little for it but if that collection had been thrown away I don't think there would be a CGC today since that was the best collection of any kind ever found. Without those books in the marketplace collecting might not have taken off like it did. I still think Chuck should have paid more than what people say but how do we know he didn't. And the other two he got fair and square. If whiny crybabies want to complain they should have made a better offer.

I'm looking for hard evidence. You say their books were overgraded. I say I've received a lot of accurately graded books from them. Where's all the hard proof that causes the people in here to all think the same way? Seems like I could talk to a roomfull of taperecorders playing the same message and not even be able to tell the difference.

Well obviously I didn't buy their trash books at NM prices, so I wouldn't have a scan of them. However, I do have a list of pre-grades and grades received from CGC on my last submission to them. If you ask board members on here, they can vouch for my tight grading skills. If I call something a 7.5-8, no way in hell will it receive a NM grade from CGC period tongue.gif

If you think MH grades accurately, feel free to keep on buying, but be prepared for a rude awakening when you send those puppies into CGC and receive grades that are lower than expected.

Amazing Spider-man #238 CGC 9.4 OW (Pre-grade 9.4-9.6)

Marvel Team-Up #29 CGC 9.4 ow/w (Pre-grade 9.4)

Marvel Team-Up #29 CGC 9.2 ow/w (Pre-grade 9.4)

Marvel Team-Up #34 CGC 9.4 ow/w (Pre-grade 9.4)

Marvel Team-Up #34 CGC 9.4 ow/w (Pre-grade 9.2)

Marvel Team-Up #35 CGC 9.6 ow (Pre-grade 9.6-9.8)

Marvel Team-Up #36 CGC 9.4 ow (Pre-grade 9.4)

Marvel Team-Up #40 CGC 9.6 ow (pre-grade 9.2)

Marvel Team-Up #42 CGC 9.6 ow (Pre-grade 9.2)

Marvel Team-Up #43 CGC 9.4 ow/w (Pre-grade 9.2)

Marvel Team-Up #52 CGC 9.6 White (Pre-grade 9.4)

Marvel Team-Up #55 CGC 9.2 ow (Pre-grade 9.4)

Marvel Team-Up #56 CGC 9.2 ow (Pre-grade 9.4)

Marvel Team-Up #58 CGC 9.6 ow/w (Pre-grade 9.4)

Marvel Team-Up #61 CGC 9.2 ow/w (Pre-grade 9.4)

Marvel Two-in-one #20 CGC 9.2 White (Pre-grade 9.2)

Marvel Two-in-one #21 CGC 9.6 ow/w (Pre-grade 9.4)

Marvel Two-in-one #22 CGC 9.6 White (Pre-grade 9.6)

Marvel Two-in-one #23 CGC 9.6 White (Pre-grade 9.4)

Marvel Two-in-one #24 CGC 9.4 White (Pre-grade 9.4)

Marvel Two-in-one #26 CGC 9.6 White (Pre-grade 9.6)

Marvel Two-in-one #27 CGC 9.4 ow/w (Pre-grade 9.4)

Marvel Two-in-one #28 CGC 9.0 ow/w (Pre-grade 9.6)

Marvel Two-in-one #29 CGC 9.6 ow/w (Pre-grade 9.4)

Powerman & Iron Fist #84 CGC 9.4 ow/w (Pre-grade 9.4)

Tomb of Dracula #44 CGC 9.4 White (Pre-grade 9.4)

The original MH collection is ancient history at this point I don't think anyone will ever really know what happened with that and yeah Chuck paid too little for it but if that collection had been thrown away I don't think there would be a CGC today since that was the best collection of any kind ever found. Without those books in the marketplace collecting might not have taken off like it did. I still think Chuck should have paid more than what people say but how do we know he didn't. And the other two he got fair and square. If whiny crybabies want to complain they should have made a better offer.

CGC is around today because a lot of people don't know how to grade and spot resto and a lot of people were taken for a ride. CGC is the cheapest insurance policy you can get for your primo books.

DAM

stop demanding hard evidence already. Youre happy with MH? go right ahead. Both of you guys are showing so much attitude about this and getting so sensitive about this. The other guy came out of nowhere and stated that MH treated him correctly and therefore the rest of us must be wrong! He KNEW we had already made up our minds about MH. and STILL shoued in defiance how well he was treated by MH

WHAT DID YOU EXPECT????

have you read the many threads with lots of personal anecdotes and tales of woe about comics we have bought from them in the past?? THERES your evidence. Go back and read it and dont expect u sto retype everything said over MONTHS here on the boards.

I swear, ONE of these guys is DEFINITELY HAMMER!!!

I HAVE read many of the other threads. But do you know all this for a fact, or because everyone is just jumping on the same bandwagon based on what they've heard? If you know this for a fact, then you are the only person that can discern this from hearsay alone, and DON'T need to view the hard facts to make a judgement. If you are ASSUMING this all to be true just because the same people keep repeating it, then I would HAVE to stand by my earlier statement. That you're just all jumping on the same train to BashChuckieVille. Either way, you're still not contributing any hard evidence to support your accusations and are just looking foolish trying to run with the rest of the crowd.

Well obviously I didn't buy their trash books at NM prices, so I wouldn't have a scan of them. However, I do have a list of pre-grades and grades received from CGC on my last submission to them. If you ask board members on here, they can vouce for my tight grading skills.

Amazing Spider-man #238 CGC 9.4 OW (Pre-grade 9.4-9.6)

Marvel Team-Up #29 CGC 9.4 ow/w (Pre-grade 9.4)

Marvel Team-Up #29 CGC 9.2 ow/w (Pre-grade 9.4)

Marvel Team-Up #34 CGC 9.4 ow/w (Pre-grade 9.4)

Marvel Team-Up #34 CGC 9.4 ow/w (Pre-grade 9.2)

Marvel Team-Up #35 CGC 9.6 ow (Pre-grade 9.6-9.8)

Marvel Team-Up #36 CGC 9.4 ow (Pre-grade 9.4)

Marvel Team-Up #40 CGC 9.6 ow (pre-grade 9.2)

Marvel Team-Up #42 CGC 9.6 ow (Pre-grade 9.2)

Marvel Team-Up #43 CGC 9.4 ow/w (Pre-grade 9.2)

Marvel Team-Up #52 CGC 9.6 White (Pre-grade 9.4)

Marvel Team-Up #55 CGC 9.2 ow (Pre-grade 9.4)

Marvel Team-Up #56 CGC 9.2 ow (Pre-grade 9.4)

Marvel Team-Up #58 CGC 9.6 ow/w (Pre-grade 9.4)

Marvel Team-Up #61 CGC 9.2 ow/w (Pre-grade 9.4)

Marvel Two-in-one #20 CGC 9.2 White (Pre-grade 9.2)

Marvel Two-in-one #21 CGC 9.6 ow/w (Pre-grade 9.4)

Marvel Two-in-one #22 CGC 9.6 White (Pre-grade 9.6)

Marvel Two-in-one #23 CGC 9.6 White (Pre-grade 9.4)

Marvel Two-in-one #24 CGC 9.4 White (Pre-grade 9.4)

Marvel Two-in-one #26 CGC 9.6 White (Pre-grade 9.6)

Marvel Two-in-one #27 CGC 9.4 ow/w (Pre-grade 9.4)

Marvel Two-in-one #28 CGC 9.0 ow/w (Pre-grade 9.6)

Marvel Two-in-one #29 CGC 9.6 ow/w (Pre-grade 9.4)

Powerman & Iron Fist #84 CGC 9.4 ow/w (Pre-grade 9.4)

Tomb of Dracula #44 CGC 9.4 White (Pre-grade 9.4)

I don't collect those books so I don't know what their worth, but it looks to me like a bunch of your grades were a grade or two off one way or the other. And you're a tight grader I am sure that's true but that also means even tight graders will disagree by a grade or two on a lot of books. Plus I am sure you make more than what a comic store person makes if you can afford books like this so Mile High couldn't afford you anyway if they wanted to sell books at good prices. It probably took you a while to grade all these books so I don't see why it's so bad if people grading thousands of books are a couple grades off. They could probably grade all their books better but they would have to charge more to do it.