• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mile High Comics

307 posts in this topic

"Chuck beat them all"? I don't know about that... opportunity has a lot to do with whether you make or don't make a deal. If there were other major collections like Allentown or Bethlehem, was Chuck beaten? No, because I never got the sense he was offered those collections. Chuck was really the only dealer we know of who had a shot at Mile High I. As for Mile High II he was able to make the deal and did so with some embellishments when telling the story of how it got done... nonetheless... he had the capital and the opportunity to pull it off.

My issue with Chuck is his incredible self inflation as some sort of comics savior. As a business person, he got incredibly lucky with his first Mile High find. Luck is part of life. But Chuck doesn't seem to have a whole lot of humility in him, and instead boasts of his "incredible" finds and his great work as an ambassador of comics.

Look, there's obviously two people here who are defending Chuck, and I respect your opinion concerning the matter. I think you're dismissing far too easily the fact that many (not all) of the people on this board for having negative dealings with this company and those opinions come from collectors who've been at it a long time. I can only tell you that I wasn't happy with my dealings with Mile High either.

This insistence on proof is ludicrous. Nobody can offer concrete proof on either side sufficient to satisfy either side. There's always holes and questions that can be asked. People rely on each other's "testimony" or testimonials concerning Chuck because some of us know each other and trust their opinions. That is evidence. Because others here dismiss it as evidence, doesn't magically mean that there isn't any. You want direct proof... I don't think that's feasible on an internet message board.

if you really read the threads you would have seen my hard evidence....and nmy stories of the 300 comics I bought fron MH and the results I received back. drop it already. youre looking silly...and more and more familiar with every post you guys make.

Look, there's obviously two people here who are defending Chuck, and I respect your opinion concerning the matter. I think you're dismissing far too easily the fact that many (not all) of the people on this board for having negative dealings with this company and those opinions come from collectors who've been at it a long time. I can only tell you that I wasn't happy with my dealings with Mile High either.

Well at least you have dealt with Chuck before. I got my package back, was happy with the results and said so in a post. Next thing I know fifty people show up to tell me their three year old is smarter than I am and as soon as I call it like I see it they run away. "Oh yeah, I hate Chuck too. Teehee. Bye!" A couple of people at least made real posts, but several just show up like lemmings, throw out insults and leave. I gave you and FF 5-stars but Joke of Lecter deserves a face full of [!@#%^&^].

well stated, foolkiller .. and, I hope, nuff said as well. Perhaps my first reply here could have been stated better. It just seemed like a challenge for a new poster to come here and defend Chuck based on one little order of modern books.

...unless the purpose was to start a flame war...

I don't collect those books so I don't know what their worth, but it looks to me like a bunch of your grades were a grade or two off one way or the other. And you're a tight grader I am sure that's true but that also means even tight graders will disagree by a grade or two on a lot of books. Plus I am sure you make more than what a comic store person makes if you can afford books like this so Mile High couldn't afford you anyway if they wanted to sell books at good prices. It probably took you a while to grade all these books so I don't see why it's so bad if people grading thousands of books are a couple grades off. They could probably grade all their books better but they would have to charge more to do it.

Actually, i'm a poor student. Those books are cheap compared to what people have here on the boards.

Anyways, being off by .2-.4 on the high end of the grading scale is no big deal, but it is a major problem when dealers pass off 7.5-9.0 books as "NM" or "NM/MT." Ignorance is bliss in cases like this, but it hurts the hobby when this poor fellow sends in his books to be professionally certified to sell and discovers that his NM books are not actually NM.

I understand that it is hard to grade every single book in a huge inventory extremely tight, but that should not be a valid excuse to call a 6.0 book a 9.4 (I've had it happen before from another dealer, doh!). Chuck needs to train his staff a little better or lower prices if his staff cannot properly grade their inventory. NM prices should yield NM books.

So your proof is that one book? Sorry, but everyone can make a mistake. CGC has even admitted to making one every once in a while. I know how to grade and I've bought from Mile High over the years. They have never been that far off on any of the books I bought.

I have no opinion on MH's grading, having never made any purchases from them...

Just curious - have you ever bought any comics from MH that you thought were UNDERgraded? If so, what is the percentages of comics you've bought that you thought were overgraded, graded right, and undergraded?

I don't know if you were talking to me or Batman but I would say that about 1 in 5 books are nicer than they say. I get books from them that are better than the ones I get from Eddie each week. A few are a little dinged up and one time I called to complain and they gave me free shipping on my next order but other than that they're real close. As close as anyone I buy from.

I know a lot of you hate MHC. I bought from them 3 times. I returned the books all three times. NM/M books should be like new, fresh off the newstand. I received corner creased, torn, generally VF type comics.

Here is the big problem. They do not have trouble grading books after 1977. Prior to that time all books were returnable to the publisher, there was no real direct type market. Books pre 1977 are harder to find becasue the did not stay around, they were sold or sent back for credit. After that time the colkic stores bought and kept any books that did not sell. This created a back room full of comics to choose from.

It's not hard to find a NM/M DD 305, try and find a nice NM/M DD 94?

The supply of pre 1977 boooks is pretty scarce. I know that I can find a NM/M book from 1985. Every comic shop has a back room full of overstocked books. Mile HIgh Has one of the largest if not the largest warehouse of books made after 1980.

I am looking for earlier books in top shape and they always disappoint me.

If you bought some 1980s books they should have been in great shape. I won't buy any older books from them anymore.

Anyways, being off by .2-.4 on the high end of the grading scale is no big deal, but it is a major problem when dealers pass off 7.5-9.0 books as "NM" or "NM/MT." Ignorance is bliss in cases like this, but it hurts the hobby when this poor fellow sends in his books to be professionally certified to sell and discovers that his NM books are not actually NM.

I understand that it is hard to grade every single book in a huge inventory extremely tight, but that should not be a valid excuse to call a 6.0 book a 9.4 (I've had it happen before from another dealer, doh!). Chuck needs to train his staff or whoever grades these things a little better or lower prices if his staff cannot properly grade their inventory.

A 6.0 and a 9.4 are a long way off but I just pulled out my Daerdevil #7 which I have had for several years now and graded it. I grade it at VG- but I could see people calling it a VG or a GVG and I wouldn't complain. It took me almost four minutes to really grade the book right and I don't grade as well as some of you here but if I can only grade fifteen books an hour it adds a lot to how much the book costs doesn't it? I cant imagine trying to grade hundreds of books every day.

So your proof is that one book? Sorry, but everyone can make a mistake. CGC has even admitted to making one every once in a while. I know how to grade and I've bought from Mile High over the years. They have never been that far off on any of the books I bought.

Just curious - have you ever bought any comics from MH that you thought were UNDERgraded? If so, what is the percentages of comics you've bought that you thought were overgraded, graded right, and undergraded?

I thought I already answered that, but perhaps you're not bothering to read the thread. The majority of bronze Hulks and Spideys I've bought from him are pretty much right on the mark. Some look closer to VF/NM to NM- to me, but only maybe 10 percent of them. Granted, there weren't many that I thought were going to hit the NM+ to NM/M range, but most of them were solid copies.

I did read the whole thread before posting, and I saw no comment from you saying that any issues you purchased were undergraded, hence my question.

Soooooo... still didn't see the answer I was pursuing. You've saidmaybe 10% overgraded, the "majority" were on the mark, and there "weren't many" at NM+/NM/M. Does that translate to about 10/80/10 for under/right on/over graded in your experiences?

if you really read the threads you would have seen my hard evidence....and nmy stories of the 300 comics I bought fron MH and the results I received back. drop it already. youre looking silly...and more and more familiar with every post you guys make.

If you've really been burned with 300 comics from Mile High, then why did you keep buying from them? That makes about as much sense as chicken fried ice cream. Wouldn't you have stopped much sooner? At this point, I SERIOUSLY doubt if you've ever even bought from Mile High. The only problem that exists here is that it's CHUCK, and even with NO SOLID PROOF after all this time, people are still so eager to jump all over him based on what a few people on this board say. The rumor mill gets started by a few people with a vendetta and then it just expands from there and everyone becomes like sheep. Everyone has their own theory on why Mile High is bad but there seems to be a major lack of hard evidence to support them. And the problem persists because nobody in here will question it.

If you've really been burned with 300 comics from Mile High, then why did you keep buying from them? That makes about as much sense as chicken fried ice cream. Wouldn't you have stopped much sooner? At this point, I SERIOUSLY doubt if you've ever even bought from Mile High. The only problem that exists here is that it's CHUCK, and even with NO SOLID PROOF after all this time, people are still so eager to jump all over him based on what a few people on this board say. The rumor mill gets started by a few people with a vendetta and then it just expands from there and everyone becomes like sheep. Everyone has their own theorey on why Mile High is bad but there seems to be a major lack of hard evidence to support them. And the problem persists because nobody in here will question it.

I think the 300 comics was a SINGLE purchase by that buyer...

Hello and welcome to the boards.

I have a been a member of the forums for about four months and I have never bought from Mile High nor do I intend to. Why? Because I have met and bought from several forum members and have been thoroughly impressed with their ability to grade a book. Having said that, I would consider it common sense to not buy from a dealer who does not meet their grading standards. The advice, and that is what it is, to not buy from Mile High or any other dealer is freely given here. You can take it or you can leave it. There is a reason these people are members of the CGC forum. They have high standards when it comes to comics. This is what CGC has attempted to bring to the market and has, in my opinion, succeedded in doing.

I would encourage you to take aman's advice and continue to buy from Mile High. You are obviously pleased with the service. Good. I am genuinely glad your experience with them was a positive one.

Russ

I thought I already answered that, but perhaps you're not bothering to read the thread. The majority of bronze Hulks and Spideys I've bought from him are pretty much right on the mark. Some look closer to VF/NM to NM- to me, but only maybe 10 percent of them. Granted, there weren't many that I thought were going to hit the NM+ to NM/M range, but most of them were solid copies.

I did read the whole thread before posting, and I saw no comment from you saying that any issues you purchased were undergraded, hence my question.

Soooooo... still didn't see the answer I was pursuing. You've saidmaybe 10% overgraded, the "majority" were on the mark, and there "weren't many" at NM+/NM/M. Does that translate to about 10/80/10 for under/right on/over graded in your experiences?

I'd say it's more like 10/88/2. Maybe about 10 percent of the books bought as NM would really be VF/NM to NM-, about 88 percent would be accurate NM copies, and only about 2 percent that I think might actually be a little better than NM.

I'd say it's more like 10/88/2. Maybe about 10 percent of the books bought as NM would really be VF/NM to NM-, about 88 percent would be accurate NM copies, and only about 2 percent that I think might actually be a little better than NM.

Have you sent them to CGC for grading yet? If so, what were the grades?

[quote

This insistence on proof is ludicrous. Nobody can offer concrete proof on either side sufficient to satisfy either side. There's always holes and questions that can be asked. People rely on each other's "testimony" or testimonials concerning Chuck because some of us know each other and trust their opinions. That is evidence. Because others here dismiss it as evidence, doesn't magically mean that there isn't any. You want direct proof... I don't think that's feasible on an internet message board.

Exactly my point. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Hello and welcome to the boards.

I have a been a member of the forums for about four months and I have never bought from Mile High nor do I intend to. Why? Because I have met and bought from several forum members and have been thoroughly impressed with their ability to grade a book. Having said that, I would consider it common sense to not buy from a dealer who does not meet their grading standards. The advice, and that is what it is, to not buy from Mile High or any other dealer is freely given here. You can take it or you can leave it. There is a reason these people are members of the CGC forum. They have high standards when it comes to comics. This is what CGC has attempted to bring to the market and has, in my opinion, succeedded in doing.

I would encourage you to take aman's advice and continue to buy from Mile High. You are obviously pleased with the service. Good. I am genuinely glad your experience with them was a positive one.

Russ

I don't know that the reason all the people are here is because of high standards, but I gave you five stars anyway because you understood why I started the thread in the first place.