• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your ONE-OF-A-KIND CGC SS books, or lone top census CGC SS books!
21 21

4,517 posts in this topic

On 8/26/2024 at 8:08 PM, scburdet said:

Last one from Heroes Con (for now). I have looked (unsuccessfully) for years for a high grade copy of Modeling with Millie 44 to send to Roy Thomas. I accidentally stumbled across this one, which appears to be even rarer based on a census of 0. Unfortunately, I didn't get to take this to Roy personally, but my facilitator said he was quite interested b/c he'd never seen a copy of this version before, and he even took a photo for his personal archive.

CGC4461928-001_OBV.jpg

That's an awesome addition! I was curious if it was also a different cover? And if so, did he speak enough Spanish to somewhat remember that particular story somehow?

Maybe I'm making something simple complicated haha still kudos for bringing into show and tell some "1sts!"

On 8/26/2024 at 9:32 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

if it was also a different cover

Here's my PGM of a low grade US copy of the same book. The story contents are the same, just translated into Spanish. All the Mexican editions I've seen have unique content in place of the advertisements. If memory serves, this one had some 1-page educational comics & humor strips. I photo-archived the entire contents. The funniest thing is that the original book had reader submissions of fashion designs. The same designs pages are in this book, but with different names attached. I don't know if that means they made up the names for the Mexican version, or the submission for the US version weren't really from readers in the first place.

On 8/26/2024 at 9:16 PM, scburdet said:

Here's my PGM of a low grade US copy of the same book. The story contents are the same, just translated into Spanish. All the Mexican editions I've seen have unique content in place of the advertisements. If memory serves, this one had some 1-page educational comics & humor strips. I photo-archived the entire contents. The funniest thing is that the original book had reader submissions of fashion designs. The same designs pages are in this book, but with different names attached. I don't know if that means they made up the names for the Mexican version, or the submission for the US version weren't really from readers in the first place.

^^

On 8/28/2024 at 4:42 PM, scburdet said:

Coincidentally, another Starlin is coming back today, but this one from the in-house signing. Technically, this was cheating b/c I bought a Universal 9.0 since it was only the 2nd copy I'd ever seen for sale (both cheaper & higher grade than the other, which was a raw copy). Two very lucky collectors have Universal copies in higher grade, but the next highest signature is an 8.0. This one looks great even with some light bending of the cardstock cover. To the best of my knowledge, this is Starlin's first cover. He does most of the interior penciling too, including two George R. R. Martin stories.

CGC4431258-001_OBV.jpg

:luhv:

On 8/28/2024 at 4:42 PM, scburdet said:

Coincidentally, another Starlin is coming back today, but this one from the in-house signing. Technically, this was cheating b/c I bought a Universal 9.0 since it was only the 2nd copy I'd ever seen for sale (both cheaper & higher grade than the other, which was a raw copy). Two very lucky collectors have Universal copies in higher grade, but the next highest signature is an 8.0. This one looks great even with some light bending of the cardstock cover. To the best of my knowledge, this is Starlin's first cover. He does most of the interior penciling too, including two George R. R. Martin stories.

CGC4431258-001_OBV.jpg

Great signature placement. Congrats!

On 9/1/2024 at 11:38 AM, twoseezy said:

Anyone seen any cool Chadwick Boseman signed books in this thread? 

there might be some, but if that was something I was interested in, there's a 'celebrity' signature thread that would likely be more apt.

Penultimate Heroes Con slab. Seraphim 4 with the back cover signed by Don Rosa. I met Don last summer & he directed me to this book as his first published work in a comic or fanzine (as opposed to cartoon strip where there is earlier stuff). I sent him two copies, this one came back the highest, so the 8.0 on the census is also mine (for now). First two copies on the census.

template.png

Last one from Heroes Con. Maybe the last top signature from me for a bit. UK Avengers 29 reprinting Marvel Special Edition 15 (part 2 of the story). Issue 28 with part 1 maybe something for a future signing with the cover artist. I got it signed by both of Shang-Chi's creators (Starlin & Englehart) as well as the cover & interior inker Milgrom (at least of that story). These books collect several parts of different comics, and I forget the other comics reprinted in it. Two 8.0 Universals, but this is the only Signature. The sad part is, this was at least a grade higher prior to shipping. Even though the UK seller packaged it well, the couriers crunched a corner of the box pretty badly. It's a small corner crunch on the book that pressed pretty well, but you can see the color breaking crease from the crunch on the back cover. At least from the front side it looks quite pristine, which is rare for these flimsy magazine-size reprint books.

CGC4461913-003_OBV.jpg

On 9/9/2024 at 5:21 PM, scburdet said:

Penultimate Heroes Con slab. Seraphim 4 with the back cover signed by Don Rosa. I met Don last summer & he directed me to this book as his first published work in a comic or fanzine (as opposed to cartoon strip where there is earlier stuff). I sent him two copies, this one came back the highest, so the 8.0 on the census is also mine (for now). First two copies on the census.

template.png

Congrats, do you know how rare of a book you now own??!! Don Rosa for YEARS refuses to do CGC signature series ever since he sold his collection and had it pedigreed. He is an awesome guy with great stories and worth the line wait. The ones for sale were he did allow signature series are reaching almost twenty years ago.

On sketch covers he will literally write on the sketch Not to be slabbed. Has he changed philosophy or did you catch him on a really good day! Bought these two years ago and plan on doing JSA.  

Screen Shot 2024-09-09 at 5.54.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-09-09 at 5.55.12 PM.png

On 9/9/2024 at 5:57 PM, cgcsketcherz said:

do you know how rare

Very aware as someone who got a lecture last summer when I tried to get a couple of Scrouge books signed. He didn't mention his collection as the reason, but I learned about it later. I definitely sympathize with his feeling that he was taken advantage of by pedigreeing his collection & selling it for a profit. On the other hand, it doesn't seem like that buyer did anything technically wrong. As that con was wrapping up, he came to the booth of the shop I work with. They bonded over shared interests & they got him to sign those books with the understanding it was for a fan who wasn't going to try & sell them. Those can be found in my galleries. Apparently, he didn't have any reservations signing these, and it was for a different facilitator. Possibly it was such a unique thing to be brought to him. He took some interest in them and even "fixed" the printing error on the second copy. His signature from the original printing was supposed to be underlined, but the printers messed it up somehow. Here's the certification page for that copy. Even though I don't need two copies, I want to be respectful & not repeat history. And of course he made the unique mark on the lower grade copy doh!

https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/4461913002/