• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Beowulf on the big screen.

35 posts in this topic

Been meaning to look for the comic book adaptation of the movie as one 32-page issue is supposed to be released each week in October leading up to the film’s theatrical release on November 16, 2007. Been watching the previews for this. Looks like it may be pretty cool. Thoughts?

Possibly not office friendly.

Link

I don't really like the "look" of stuff like this. 300 and Sin City have their own style... but people can generally tell when another human looks "fake." Those films still use real people though in a surreal world.

I think this is also why we instinctively know and react negatively when someone has had bad plastic facial surgery. There's something that just registers "false" there.

I don't really like the "look" of stuff like this. 300 and Sin City have their own style... but people can generally tell when another human looks "fake."

I think Beowulf's characters may fall into that disturbing zone that's sometimes called the "uncanny valley". It's the paradoxical point at which a simulation of a person becomes so good it's jarring or disturbing, because the eye picks out when the face or movement is just a little bit off. :gossip:

I don't really like the "look" of stuff like this. 300 and Sin City have their own style... but people can generally tell when another human looks "fake."

I think Beowulf's characters may fall into that disturbing zone that's sometimes called the "uncanny valley". It's the paradoxical point at which a simulation of a person becomes so good it's jarring or disturbing, because the eye picks out when the face or movement is just a little bit off. :gossip:

I haven't heard of this before,but I found 300 very disturbing. It took me about a dozen sittings to get thru it.Something just wasn't right.

Same with this trailer.

Don't get me wrong... I liked 300 and Sin City's "look." Liked Sky Captain too.

This Beowulf movie falls into that category that I'd slot Polar Express into: A movie I don't want to see based on the trailers. I think they call it "3-D performance capture." But yeah, I find the technology in these two movies to be visually disturbing.

Both movies are by Zemeckis.

Gaiman's Mirrormask is also odd but I found that much more palatable than an entire digital world. (I also liked Pan's Labyrinth.)

I think they call it "3-D performance capture." But yeah, I find the technology in these two movies to be visually disturbing.

motion-capure (or mo-cap)

you pretty much get people in black jumpsuits with small white balls attached to various joints and film his/her movements. Those movements are then used as various animations for a 3D character. Same deal with video games (namely sports games)

Im not digging the look either. Was this the plan all along? Or dictated by budget? Wouldnt it have looked better with live actors CGed into a computer generated bkgnd, like 300 or even Sky Captain? Was this film started AFTER 300 became a hit? 300s profit/success was said to have spearheaded a new wave of similarly inexpensive=produced CGI + live-action productions. Is this one?

This is a CGI flick that falls in with the likes of those Final Fantasy movies as far as look and feel. I read the budget is huge and there are many big names (voice actors) involved. I think Neil Gaiman wrote the -script. I'm looking forward to it.

I thought it looked good, and will be watching it when it's released.

With the likes of Final Fantasy and this, they definitely a separate category unto their own, and to be measured and appreciated accordingly.

For the Inklings out there, you would know Tolkien was heavily influenced by the Beowulf story.

Personally I think it looks like complete krap; just another Hollywood rape of classic literature. It's a Robert Zemeckis film for christsakes...the same genius that brought us cinematic gems like Bordello of Blood, Gothika and House of Wax. :sick:

Personally I think it looks like complete krap; just another Hollywood rape of classic literature. It's a Robert Zemeckis film for christsakes...the same genius that brought us cinematic gems like Bordello of Blood, Gothika and House of Wax. :sick:

:applause:

I was originally excited to see this until I saw the previews. I just can't get into watching a "video game" for a movie.

I loved 300 which I wouldn't compare in style to this at all. While it had CGI scenes and backgrounds, it had real live actors, not video game CGI appearing actors - that changes everything for me.

Zemeckis = Back to the Future movies. You must like those?

Zemeckis = Back to the Future movies. You must like those?

Yeh - talk about selective reasoning..............

I don't think it looks bad at all and Angelina looks even hotter (as if that were actually possible)............ :cloud9:

besides, the individual clips are so short and dark that it's pretty hard to really see or even get a feel for what the finished product will be.............I'll give it a chance.