• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Video of CGC-graded book?

25 posts in this topic

Total newbie question here. I've never even seen a CGC-graded book in person, so I don't understand how it works and how you have access to the inside while keeping it encapsulated. IF CGC has a video showing off this feature, I couldn't find it. Can anyone here point me to such a video demonstration of someone flipping through a CGC-graded book (or make one and put it on Youtube?!) Thanks. I'm mainly into coins, but am curious whether having some of my comics slabbed would be worthwhile.

If I understand your question, it seems like you are wondering if you can read a book that has been slabbed and then reslab it? If so, the answer is no. If you're wondering how to get one out of the slab to read, then Chromium did a video (youtube maybe?) showing how to open it. Just don't bend the spine the way he did. (tsk)

Total newbie question here. I've never even seen a CGC-graded book in person, so I don't understand how it works and how you have access to the inside while keeping it encapsulated. IF CGC has a video showing off this feature, I couldn't find it. Can anyone here point me to such a video demonstration of someone flipping through a CGC-graded book (or make one and put it on Youtube?!) Thanks. I'm mainly into coins, but am curious whether having some of my comics slabbed would be worthwhile.

Video on CGC Books

Very nice production and content. :golfclap: I must say there was a Cringe-factor though. :eek: Not your fault. It's those terms "independent" or "independently" used repeatedly to decribe grading companies and what they do.

I think "independent" must strictly refer to a business structure/tax entity/LLC or something. Other than that the whole evolution seems to have be based on selling influences. From whether there's notes on the label to Wizard First, from what's now considered resto to phoning for grading notes, from co-ownerships to marketing partnerships.

I just don't think the term "independent" is used in the same way a Consumer Reports or a CarFax type business might. You know, as in "independent of retailing influences".

I could be wrong, probably a pet-peeve. Just seems extemely misleading when I hear/read it (cringe :eek: ).

did anyone else worry about how he slides the book into the mylar? Often if you dont hold the mylar top edge of the opening away from the comic cover, it can slice into the comic..

maybe though the video about sliding comics into mylars covers that. : )

did anyone else worry about how he slides the book into the mylar? Often if you dont hold the mylar top edge of the opening away from the comic cover, it can slice into the comic..

maybe though the video about sliding comics into mylars covers that. : )

Believe me there was no chance of that...I used the fullback as a wedge which makes a nice little pocket that allows the comic to slide in without touching the mylar's edge.

Over 150 slabs cracked and not a single mishap... (well I did cut my finger once when I still used a razor blade)

[font:Times New Roman]the above statement only applies if made to my video and not to the Mark Z. series.

Guarantee does not cover misuse, accident, lightning, flood, tornado, tsunami, volcanic eruption, earthquake, hurricanes, alien invasion, meteor impact, plague, holy war and other Acts of God, neglect, incorrect line voltage, improper or unauthorized use, broken antenna or marred cabinet, missing or altered serial numbers, electromagnetic radiation from nuclear blasts, sonic boom vibrations, customer adjustments that are not covered in this list, and incidents owing to dropping the item, falling rocks, leaky roof, broken glass, mud slides, forest fire, or projectile (which can include, but not be limited to, arrows, bullets, shot, BB's, shrapnel, lasers, napalm, torpedoes, or emissions of X-rays, Alpha, Beta and Gamma rays, knives, kidney stones, etc.). NOTE: Other restrictions may apply.[/font]

Very nice production and content. :golfclap: I must say there was a Cringe-factor though. :eek: Not your fault. It's those terms "independent" or "independently" used repeatedly to decribe grading companies and what they do.

I think "independent" must strictly refer to a business structure/tax entity/LLC or something. Other than that the whole evolution seems to have be based on selling influences. From whether there's notes on the label to Wizard First, from what's now considered resto to phoning for grading notes, from co-ownerships to marketing partnerships.

I just don't think the term "independent" is used in the same way a Consumer Reports or a CarFax type business might. You know, as in "independent of retailing influences".

I could be wrong, probably a pet-peeve. Just seems extemely misleading when I hear/read it (cringe :eek: ).

I hear you. There is a degree of inaccuracy in the use of the term "independent" with CGC. The fact of the matter is that there is very much a level of "dependent", i.e., dependency, between CGC and its customers, dealers, etc., that, on some levels, taints the notion of independence. A topic for another day in another thread!

That said, obviously the term "independent" in the general context is that CGC assesses a grade without input or influence from the submitter, or the ultimate buyer or seller. An neutral arbitor of sorts.

Very nice production, Mark. Good job. I like how you put everything into layman terms for the non-collector type.

Thanks! :hi:

Glad you said that as this was the whole purpose of the video. Essentially an introduction to the hobby. Hope it brings people in! (thumbs u