• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Incredible hulk #1 (High Res - 3MB total)

19 posts in this topic

new User here...I appreciate your input. If anyone has a guide handy, an approximate value would be appreciated as well. I need to get an approximate value for purposes of a cgc grading order. Thank you!

****there is a smaller version posted below if you don't want to wait fror these to load***

hulk1up1.jpg

hulk2ls0.jpg

hulk3qc6.jpg

Is it just me, or does that cover looked trimmed?

My first impression was this edge was trimmed. Since the corner curls a little it may create the illusion of it being wavy. If you can get it to lay flat would help us get a better idea of the edge.

The top edge is straight...any apparent waviness is a result of the curl near the spine, which should be relaxing now that it's stored properly. The top edge is cut a bit lower than others I've seen online...it is cut at a level about halfway through the "IND" on the TL corner. However, it seems to me that it is more likely a bindery flaw (although I am no expert). The edge looks aged and this book was found in a cardboard box that was found in the basement of a very old lady's estate, not purchased from a collector or anything.

I think the top "IND" cut is a bindery defect. Checked out the multiple copies at comiclink and all those covers have the bottom edge cut off just under Hulk's right big toe. This cover bottom is cut under Banner's foot, a pretty good shift to affect the top edge.

That being said, and still relatively new here, the major grade hit I can see is the partial detachment of the cover. Without it, I would have to guess a major run at a 6.0. But I would have to guess with the detachement, maybe 4.0 (shrug)

I think the top "IND" cut is a bindery defect. Checked out the multiple copies at comiclink and all those covers have the bottom edge cut off just under Hulk's right big toe. This cover bottom is cut under Banner's foot, a pretty good shift to affect the top edge.

That being said, and still relatively new here, the major grade hit I can see is the partial detachment of the cover. Without it, I would have to guess a major run at a 6.0. But I would have to guess with the detachement, maybe 4.0 (shrug)

You have

1) Rust on the staple

2) Detached bottom staple

3)Tears and a fairly large NCBC and curl

I don't know if would even get as high as a 4.0

You have

1) Rust on the staple

2) Detached bottom staple

3)Tears and a fairly large NCBC and curl

I don't know if would even get as high as a 4.0

Wow, totally missed the rust...yeah, that would be a major dinger too. The eye appeal is what makes this one hard to guesstimate.

Agree that this is a tough one. the pictures are a bit hazy and the fact that you guys can tell that lower staple is detached is pretty amazing.

if the staples detached and there is a bit of rust, then, what would otherwise be in the 4.5 - 5.5 range, might drop to a 3.0 - 3.5...........it does appear to have nice eye-appeal, however................. (thumbs u

The book does look pretty nice in the flesh.

The bottom staple is detached, but the spine is only broken for the length of the staple.

Thanks for clarifying the ncbc term.

FWIW, I've been told that the dark blue on this edition is notorious for really accentuating any creases...so the fact that all the "cs" are "ncb" should give you an indication of the severity of them (or lack thereof).

I picked up a FF#4 as part of this purchase too :)

They'll probably both go to CGC at some point so we'll see eventually...

keep the commentary coming folks!

I could go 4.0 on this for sure. It appears to have nice eye appeal, and that curl should loosen up after it spends some time in a bag and board. The grading guide allows a cover to be loose but not detached, and I have a 5.0 CGC book with one detached staple. The guide also allows rust on a staple.