• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Got any cool comic stuff from the 1960s or 1970s

79 posts in this topic

Finally, the Blue Bat series:

100_0644.jpg

100_0645.jpg

100_0646.jpg

100_0647.jpg

100_0648.jpg

These are from an Original Owner collection. I know this for a fact as the original purchaser was me in (ahem) 1966. :blush:

Thanks for the opportunity to show this stuff off. It is nice to break them out of the albums and relive the magic. (thumbs u

P.S.The "Black Bat" series was not released in Oz to my knowledge.

You bring up an interesting point regarding their origin. They were issued by an Australian company, Scanlens, as a "bubble gum premium", however on the back of each of the cards, in addition to the usual copyright stuff is the notation "PRTD IN U.S.A."

I figure the following could have happened:

1. The cards were printed and cut in the US and shipped here for packaging with the gum.

2. The uncut sheets were shipped here and then cut and packaged

3. The cards were printed here, however the "PRTD IN USA" notation was (erroneously) left on the masters that would need to have been supplied.

I do not know what theory is correct. If pushed, I would go with the first in a photo finish (ho ho) because TMK no uncut sheet has ever surfaced here. Wouldn't surprise me if #2 was proven but least likely is #3.

And yes, we did have a lot of interesting card sets. I've got a LOT of them. :grin:

Davenport, those are killer! Never seen anything like them.

DCplacemat1.jpg

Thanks! I agree, wish I knew more about them. Only one's I've seen, but I've seen those Pepsi Glasses at almost every convention and flea market I've been to.

I can't help but think of all those DC Pepsi Glass collectors that think they have a complete collection. But they don't. Not without these, they don't. MWAH-HA-HA! (rubs hands together) :devil:

:grin:

Glass and Pepsi collectors are fairly certain that the placemat promos had nothing to do with the glass promotions. But they sure look great together. Back in the early days of ebay, I picked up the entire set from one seller. Haven't seen most of them since then.

Here's some other Pepsi stuff related to the actual glasses.

First a crappy photo of one of the window posters that went with the set. I have about 5 of these so far: Supes, Robin, Wonder Woman, the Penguin, and the Joker. I've seen about 4 others.

46911-prglasspromo1.jpg

Here's one of the counter stands from the 1978 DC set. I have two versions of this--the other one is die-cut and can hold the round bottom versions of these glasses.

46913-pepsi4b.JPG

46911-prglasspromo1.jpg.dc33bbb6ace9e0930488b5025e7ab36e.jpg

46913-pepsi4b.JPG.f0524dc6772e46171b6d3811b80c1a18.JPG

Marvel1966Set-166-Card.jpg

Marvel1966Set-1Sample.jpg

I would have sworn that I never had any of this stuff, but those Marvel cards look incredibly familiar. I wonder whatever happened to mine.

They were corny enough that Stan may have written the gags himself!

Jack

And here's one that I strongly doubt anyone else here still has -- the second poster in the Bill Graham Fillmore Auditorium series (from March 1966). Far-out, Man!

BG-002-RPC-B.jpg

Big Brother and the Holding Company March 18 1966.

Big Brother and the holding Company with Janis Joplin April 1966

Missed it by THAT much :frustrated:

Great poster. "Win a talking mynah bird" lollol

Great Thread! I usd to have tons of stuff like this, but alas no longer. So fun to see it all again. I would LOVE to find the Monsters Valentine stickers again Topps put out in the 60's...

I do have lots of pictures of me as a kid playing withcool stuff, or eating it like this Mego Cap...

46940-m_7fd62694b9368496ac15b7944ca44f48.jpg.9385f3d784eeb5a3a52ecb3dffc09561.jpg

Ooh, I had one of those when I was little. Kept it for years and then sold it for big bucks on eBay. :insane:

I sold off my favourite Shogun Warrior many moons ago. Wish I still had him..... :(

Here's some of my Shogun Warriors (you can't see near all of them, but these were the best pics I had on hand).

2005FunPics065.jpg

2005FunPics064.jpg

I have all mine from childhood still including the 24 inch Mazinga and Raydeen as well as the Godzilla. However, they're in very well played with condition and I've been trying to add MIB versions to my collection as I can.

Ooh, I had one of those when I was little. Kept it for years and then sold it for big bucks on eBay. :insane:

I sold off my favourite Shogun Warrior many moons ago. Wish I still had him..... :(

I received Godzilla as a present one Christmas. The tail wouldn't quite fit over the back end and snap on. So, Dad put it in the microwave for a few seconds to warm it up and then it just popped right on. I thought it was the coolest thing.

Every morning I had to watch the Godzilla cartoon with Jana of the Jungle.

Mine was a Christmas present from the folks as well. :cloud9:

Wish I still had all my megos. Stupid collectors & their stupid money.... :pullhair:

Godzilla cartoon :cloud9:

Ha, my Godzilla was a Christmas present too! How funny that we all likely share the cool experience of getting these on the same Christmas morning all those years ago? What would this have been, about 77'-78' give or take a year? Unfortunately, my Godzilla suffers the very common fate of having the broken off flame tongue handle. :( I can still pull the lever down with the "nubb" that's left though. lol

One of these days I'm going to drop about $400 and get one MIB to go alongside my weathered friend.

One of these days I'm going to drop about $400 and get one MIB to go alongside my weathered friend.

And this is the key. No NM+ specimen purchased as an adult will ever have the same emotional impact as our "weathered" childhood friends. So upgrade for aesthetics and functionality, if you must. But be very careful about trying to replace the irreplaceable.

And always look to your local rescue shelter first when you're ready for a new four-legged friend!

:luhv:

And this is the key. No NM+ specimen purchased as an adult will ever have the same emotional impact as our "weathered" childhood friends. So upgrade for aesthetics and functionality, if you must. But be very careful about trying to replace the irreplaceable.

And always look to your local rescue shelter first when you're ready for a new four-legged friend!

:luhv:

So true. I love to display my old played with sentimental toy next to an aquired "new" MIB/MIP version. Gives a nice full circle effect.