• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Calling out all the Rockies Fans.

21 posts in this topic

Ok, were did you all run off to?? I heard some competetive comments about my choaking Tribe and it were all true. Anyone want to step up and tell us what the deal is with a potential sweep of a team that went 21 out of 22??

I would have really liked to have seen a Tribe vs Rockies World Series since it would have probably came down to game 7. But as it is right now, the Tribe looks to be the 2nd best team this year and if your counting - Cleveland and Columbus have combined for a second place finish in 4 major sports. Maybe our slogan could be "2nd - Hell its better than a burning river".

Easy! all you need is 3 words.

eight

day

layoff.

end of story

unfortunately. for you, and the Yankees in 04, you were up 3-1 and dont HAVE as good an excuse. Sorry. This WS has an unfortunate stigma due to the cooling off of an amazingly hot team. The Sox are playing at their best right now. It would have been cool to see the Rockies at their best as well.

The series is OVER. Unfortunately, it'll just be the Packers & Broncos in Denver Monday night!

Aman619, did you get those scans of YOUR books uploaded...everyone is anxiously awaiting in my other threads...By the way, I uploaded (esp. for you) another scan.

Thanks!

Ah Hah!! A true blue Californian!

Let me rephrase...I'm a L.A. Rams fan since BIRTH ('61). Come hell or high water, I'm Gabriel, Snow (just passed away), Cappaletti, Olson (both of 'em), Everett, Dickerson, Ellison, all of 'em!!

I wood-framed the most most exciting play in SB history....Tha Tackle by Mike Jones!! (O-fense wins crowds and D-fense wins championships!)

Mom always said they'd be good years and bad years...

Its the freakin Rockies for God sakes. I can't remember that last time they were competive. Even though they got swept by the Bo-sox they had one heck of a season second half. They made a krapload of extra money and played very well for a team which experts predicted to finish in last or second to last place.

eight

day

layoff.

hm Interesting theory.

So in your opinion, lets say the Sox swept Cleveland and Rockies went the distance with Arizona and still lost in the WS, the excuse would have been,

Boston was well rested (shrug)

Here is my theory, the better team prevailed :makepoint:

eight

day

layoff.

hm Interesting theory.

So in your opinion, lets say the Sox swept Cleveland and Rockies went the distance with Arizona and still lost in the WS, the excuse would have been,

Boston was well rested (shrug)

Here is my theory, the better team prevailed :makepoint:

No doubt the Red Sox were better on the field and on paper (except defensively).

But you have to wonder what the series would have been like if the Colorado momentum was not interrupted by the 8 day layoff. Players get into and out of rhythm. That's simply a fact. If players could roll out of bed in April and just start playing without working their way into form there would be no need for spring training. Players need to play to play well.

The experience of the Sox taking Cleveland to the limit and knocking them out got their momentum and rhythm going. The sleeping giant woke up.

The Rockies beat (destroyed, swept) 2 teams that were "better" than they were on the way to the world series. They rolled through 20 wins in 21 games and then had a giant 8 day layoff.

The Sox were still prohibitive favorites regardless, but I think if the layoff did not occur and they both rolled in evenly it would have been a much different series.

C

Well, they were an 89 team win that got hot and peaked right before the WS. Then they cooled off for a week and played 4 games. It's pretty simple. They're not all that great, just capable of getting hot. And then cold. Whereas Boston was a 96 win team that could have been a 100+ win team had Manny and Schilling not missed a chunk of time. Cleveland was not really an underdog given their 96 wins and really not shocking anyone with the good season they had (well, ok, Detroit getting left in the dust was surprising, as was the Whitesox collapsing and Minnesota not really competing)

They were tremendous underdogs and played like it against a loaded team.

Hey, the Padres and Braves got swept in 98/99 and they both had good teams. Sh*t happens.

The Sox were still prohibitive favorites regardless, but I think if the layoff did not occur and they both rolled in evenly it would have been a much different series.

C

Yup, would have been Sox in 6.

C

No doubt

No doubt

---------------------------

Yup, and then maybe the jokers at espn.com wouldn't be writing articles like the Red Sox are a lock to win the next 10 World Series (yeah, because Big Pappy is going to age REAL well). You read that website and Dice-K, Lester and Wakefield are first ballot HOFers rather than guys with mid-4 eras on a team that can score a lot of runs. And Beckett is Bob Gibson or Sandy Kaufax in his prime rather than a guy who had a very nice season, but who is still probably going to be 3, 4 or 5 in Cy Young voting.