• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age Comic Book Prices 2002 to 2006

How did you like the 2002 - 2006 SA price report?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. How did you like the 2002 - 2006 SA price report?

21 posts in this topic

Thanks to sckao for setting up comicpriceindex.com . The first report shows silver age comic book value growth of 39% from 2002 to 2006.

The SCPI is the Silver-Age Comic Price Index. It is a composite of prices for 32 frequently traded key Silver-Age books.

scpi2002to2006summarysmall.jpg

From 2002 through 2006, the SCPI grew 388 points or 38.8% This is an average of approximately 9% per year. The period from 2002 through 2004 saw growth of 295 points, while the period from 2004 to 2006 accounted for only 93 points. In other words, prices rose steeply for the first two years, then grew slowly for the next two years. Note: in another post I will show that 2007 is looking strong so far.

To read the article, go to comicpriceindex.com

After you've seen the article, please let me know what you think by taking the quick poll below.

If you have suggestions or comments, you can post them in this thread where sckao and I will see them.

In a few days, I will be adding a report on price performance for 2007 January through September.

I think despite all of the random threads we have floating around on the forum, these is one of those rare gems that is really noteworthy and useful for collectors. Kudos to the both of you for putting this together. With as many OSPG advisors present on this forum, I'm surprised something like this doesn't garner a nod come May. ;)

I also appreciated seeing a healthy representation of books in your survey. While I wonder if it is possible to compare books of different grades, the fact you keep in mind the vast majority of us who don't collect the ultra high grades is definitely noticed :) and I think realistic. I know a number of us were jawing back and forth in the SA Forum about whether low-grade comics are a good investment idea... :wishluck: here's to hoping for a definitive answer :)

Keep up the great work, and will continue to look forward to the updates!

Excellent work. The CAGR is 8.54%, not 9%, but that's relatively inconsequential.

Thanks for the clarification, Donut. I didn't want to make an error on the calculation, so I just used simple ROI, not annualized. 1.388^(0.25) Got it now. I'll use CAGR in the future.

:applause:

I'd be interested in hearing more about the data set you used (i.e. data sources, number of data points). I'm looking forward to your future articles!

Excellent work, thank you...I never bought low grade as an investment, I bought them to read, and because I could afford them without hocking the house...but I have a good friend who is a math professor, who has been touting LG for years...he feels the base able to afford the books is greater...something I always thought made some sense.I found this very helpful, sometimes I find myself in High grade Envy...;) now I can use this to validate some of my purchases...(besides the fact I love the covers..;)

Nice work, you make a pretty good case for the appreciation of the major SA titles. Comparing the majors to blue chip companies is a pretty good analogy, as is the rotation of investments from overbought books to lesser keys and grades.

One thing that jumps out from the table of selected titles is the almost complete absence of DC titles - it begs the question as to how the top SA DC books performed over the same period.

Great stuff, Rhonda

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone.

The poll results were interesting. I'm definitely going to pull in some data for non-key books and also some lower value books. Perhaps some books in the $100 range. Also, I'll be creating some title-specific indexes.

Expect the 2007 year to date report in about a week. The other stuff will come later in November and December.

Rhonda