• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking To Identify Important Copper Covers & Stories

23 posts in this topic

I am looking to identify specific books with covers or stories that are either historically important/symbolic or simply completely strange/humorous (i.e., double entendre covers).

By historically important/symbolic I am referring to books that reflect covers and stories that truly represent the culture of the time, and reflect how that culture has changed over the years.

I have done a lot of this work already but this forum is awash with substantive knowledge and I would be foolish not to take advantage of it. If you can post a picture of the cover, that would be great. If you do not have the cover available and can simply refer me to the title and issue, that is fine as well.

Feel free to suggest anything and everything, but please explain why you are doing so in order for me to consider whether that is what I am looking to catalogue.

As my purpose is not restricted to only the Copper Age, I will be cross-posting this request in the other forum sections so if you have suggestions for other eras, please post them there.

Thanks! (thumbs u

Here's a few more, Mark.

In the 1980's, DC helped with Nancy Reagan's "Just Say No" campaign by providing these books which were given away to elementary students:

86246253836.1.NO.PRICE.gif

86246253836.2.gif

86246253836.3.gif

Also, Marvel did a Spidey giveaway that tackled the issue of Child Abuse. I'll see if I can't dig up the scan.

Now that I think about it, checking into Giveaways/Promo comics might yield quite a few for your project. hm

Mark - Here are 10 Copper books off the top of my head that reflect the culture at the time:

1) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 - This book started the Black & White comic explosion and introduced a new type of superhero to kids that grew up in the 80's.

2) Watchmen #1-12 - The "happy face" from Watchmen became a symbol of counter culture in England (and in other parts of the world) in the 80's. The story summarizes how things changed from high flying days of the 1940's to the grim reality of the 80's.

3) G.I. Joe #1 - This showed the success of tying a comic book to toy line. This book helped give personalities to the new line of smaller G.I. Joe figures that Hasbro was launching. The Joes were the Star Wars figures of the 80's. The book also demonstrated the optimism in America in the 80's and how good wins over evil. Ironically, the first few issues of that book still had the Russians as the enemies and Afghanistan as our ally.

4) Dark Knight #1-4 - This crossed politics with a bleaker looking future and grittier superheroes. It started the graphic novel craze and widely drew attention to what was going on in comics. At the time, many people were upset that Miller was altering the public's perception of icons such as Batman and Superman. Up until that point, their images were pretty squeaky clean.

5) Captain America #286-289 - Okay, this is a strange one, but this Deathlok storyline showed what the nuclear future was supposed to look like only 10 years later. We were on the verge of George Orwell's 1984. Luckily the future isn't as dismal as it was forecasted to be.

6) A-Team #1 - That was one of the most popular shows of 80's. Comics, lunch boxes... they were everywhere! Any comic with Mr. T on the cover is a classic!

7) The Life of Pope John Paul II - Another odd choice here, but it shows that the love and respect for a pope could cross-over into mainstream comics. Also, it shows the prevalence of the Catholic religion in America.

8) Reagan's Raiders (from Solson) - Ronald Reagan portrayed as Rambo. It portrayed a strong America and even a stronger president.

9) Punisher #1 (Limited Series) - The rise of the anti-hero! The Punisher looked a lot like Arnold Schwarzenegger in the Zeck mini-issues. Not only was Arnold the movie idol at the time, but this series reflected the love for the anti-hero that was arising in pop-culture.

10) Raw #1 - Another odd choice here, but this book was a fusion of 80's graphic design and comics. It brought the talents of Art Spigelman and his narrative Maus to the forefront.

Other honorable mentions:

X-Men #141-2 – Days of Future Past – more visions of what the world could be like

Love & Rockets – Hispanic life in America

Mr. X – A view of counter-culture at the time

Alf – ET, Alf… aliens were popular!

Kool-Aid Man – Oh Yeah!!

ASM #252/SW #8 – Changing an icon

Iron Man #128 - Alcoholism

Death of Captain Marvel – Focused on the world’s fear of cancer

Consider the story 'Runaways' from New Teen Titans 26/27. It dealt with the issue of teenage runaways and touched on drug use, at a time when Nancy Reagan's just say no campaign was in full force, and the war on drugs was a common headline theme. It was a topic not touched upon since the ASM 'not code approved' issues 96-98 and the O'Neil/Adams GL 85/86.

Frank Miller also addressed the topic in Daredevil 183/184, with a storyline that starts with a teenage overdose on angel dust.

What's the project Mark (if you don't mind my asking)?

I don't mind at all!!!

For the last couple of years I have been slowly putting together a power point presentation on the history of comics, particularly how comics have responded to or influenced social commentary.

I want to make sure I'm not missing anything worthwhile which is why I really appreciate the input from the boards! (thumbs u