• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Not Fade Away (Letters in Comics)

16 posts in this topic

Whenever I read my Comic Books, I always make a point of reading the Letters page. Sometimes of course they're drivel, with kids arguing about who is Batman's number one fan or whatever.

But sometimes they can be genuinely informative and interesting. I've learned some useful tidbits of info over the years from fans sharing their knowlege thru' those pages, much like here.

One thing I do is always look at the writer's name, see if its anyone famous now, who wrote in when they were a kid. The obvious one is Paul Gambaccini of course who wrote copious amounts of prose during the early Silver Age period of the hobby.

Famous letters also spring to mind, like the hateful & racist letters written in to EC accusing them of 'Ni&&er Lovin' and favouring Jews in their stories etc..amongst other things. Letters that were courageously published and dealt with at the time by Feldstein & Co, defending the human rights of all members of society.

I was wondering what are other members takes on the letters pages. Do you read them or ignore them?

Indeed have you ever written in to a Comic Book and seen your letter published?

If so post it here.

I personally have never written in, and I suspect that not many here have either, but it would be interesting to know, especially your favourite letters over the years you may have read, or what now famous people you recall writing in when they were kids etc.

Cheers

Luke

Paul Gambaccini? Lord man, there are dozens more than he that went on to "professionaldom". Off the top of my head:

Paul Levitz

Mark Evanier

Walt Simonson (had a sketch published as a fan in a Gold Key Magnus.)

Roy Thomas

It's late here and I can't think (pre-emptive strike - did he ever). :insane:

I am sure others will fill the void overnight (here)

I may be wrong, but I seem to remember seeing a Marv Wolfman letter in a Strange Adventures issue just a few days ago...

Uncle Elvis seemed to have a letter published in every other Marvel book in the eighties. Did he ever become famous???

I may be wrong, but I seem to remember seeing a Marv Wolfman letter in a Strange Adventures issue just a few days ago...

Uncle Elvis seemed to have a letter published in every other Marvel book in the eighties. Did he ever become famous???

I always check the letters pages as well. Interestingly, it seems as if Wolfman is the only comic pro whose letter I've seen in the pages of a DC book. Many, many pros in Marvel letters pages.

In addition to names that have already been posted, off the top of my head, I recall seeing letters from:

Waid

Busiek

Macchio

Dave Cockrum

Bill Mantlo

Bill Saril (restoration expert)

I do remember the letter hack, Uncle Elvis. There was another guy from the Bronx whose name escapes me that was in a zillion letters pages as well.

I always read every letter sent in on my SA and BA books and

there is some interesting information sometimes. I've been

collecting DC war for a few years now and love to read letters

written in from men in the service and the odd one has their

return address as Danang, Vietnam or some other part of that

country.

I have a book, Avengers # 51 with two future comic books

creators on the same letter's page, Doug Moench and Tony

Isabella. (sp?) Well, I think it's the same guys that went onto

to successful careers in comics.

fay

Apologies if its already been done in some way, as someone once said,

'There's nothing new under the Sun'

No it's cool. I enjoy these threads. The one they had was pretty good. I'm sure someone will post the link for you.

I don't go back searching the archives when I make a post - too tedious. The guys here always bust my chops and LMK when I have infringed upon areas previously (and thoroughly) discussed lol

I always check the letters pages as well. Interestingly, it seems as if Wolfman is the only comic pro whose letter I've seen in the pages of a DC book. Many, many pros in Marvel letters pages.

In addition to names that have already been posted, off the top of my head, I recall seeing letters from:

Waid

Busiek

Macchio

Dave Cockrum

Bill Mantlo

Bill Saril (restoration expert)

I do remember the letter hack, Uncle Elvis. There was another guy from the Bronx whose name escapes me that was in a zillion letters pages as well.

Charles S. Novinskie? hm

i'm a charter member in the T.M. Maple fan club. meetings are getting kind of sparsely attended these days but back in the day it was all the rage

From late 1964:

"Dear Stan and Steve,

After reading Spider-Man #20 I have to tell you that you have hit another high peak. The Scorpion was different and there were enough side plots to keep the story moving. The death of the doctor was handled nicely, the fight scenes were good, although the Scorpion looked a bit awkward, and having J. Jonah create the villain was a novel idea. I think you'd better keep Jonah thinking about the Scorpion for awhile, because in real life, he would not forget about such an incident so easily. I hope that in your M.M.M.S. you'll let us readers know about stories on the drawing board before you mention them in your Special Announcements Sections. These tasty tidbits tend to arouse the curiousity and keep you looking for the next issue.

Don McGregor"

Sounds like a fun time to be reading Spider-Man. I started reading/collecting with #86 and the Ditko stuff was already considered classic (and hard to find) in 1970 (pre-comic book stores).

Dennis