• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF Fans - Waid Back On Fantastic Four

18 posts in this topic

Good news ! Although I don't get the politics behind all this.

Don't tell me it was yet another example of HYPE-SHOCK-HORROR-SCANDAL that Quemas are so good at.... confused-smiley-013.gif

And of course this also means that Priest is still in there with a shot to write Iron Man cloud9.gif

Just a smart business decision if you ask me. Why f-up a good thing?

Well Priest is a Waaaaay better writer for one thing. How can arguably one of Marvel's best writers be constantly thrown garbage and not supported by management while guys like Waid get the cream of the crop. I say put Waid where he belongs - on Trouble, marville, Captain Marvel, Ultimate Dakota North - whatever, and make way for a real writer that knows what a real storyline is.

I honestly think Marvel's executives heads should really be called stomachs since they are so far up their backsides.

Just a smart business decision if you ask me. Why f-up a good thing?

Well Priest is a Waaaaay better writer for one thing. How can arguably one of Marvel's best writers be constantly thrown garbage and not supported by management while guys like Waid get the cream of the crop. I say put Waid where he belongs - on Trouble, marville, Captain Marvel, Ultimate Dakota North - whatever, and make way for a real writer that knows what a real storyline is.

I honestly think Marvel's executives heads should really be called stomachs since they are so far up their backsides.

Well everyone is entitled to their opinions though its hard to defend a writer who has had the kiss of death on almost every book he's touched(i.e. Priest).

When I got back into modern comics I picked up Black Panther because a vocal minority raved about it and the book put me to sleep.

Mind you this was before I even knew a controversy surrounding Priest existed.

As far as Waid being on FF, wonderful news! He brings a great sense of fun to the book.

to each his own concerning priest... but i think waid is the stronger writer if you look at their overall body of work. I'm sure priest could be even better if given more opportunity, but really, there isn't anything that he's done that's been all that impressive. Waid has done Kingdom Come (even if you didn't like it, it seems to be a pretty big success) and his run on Flash, JLA and FF have all been solid.

But again, a matter of personal taste, and in fact, I'm sure partly opportunity.

to each his own concerning priest... but i think waid is the stronger writer if you look at their overall body of work. I'm sure priest could be even better if given more opportunity, but really, there isn't anything that he's done that's been all that impressive. Waid has done Kingdom Come (even if you didn't like it, it seems to be a pretty big success) and his run on Flash, JLA and FF have all been solid.

But again, a matter of personal taste, and in fact, I'm sure partly opportunity.

I was actually just a little bitter when I wrote that first post. I have nothing against Waid - in fact, if I hadn't read a few FFs - I wouldn't even know who he is.

But looking at their body of work...Prist/Owsley's run on Powerman/Ironfist I think(even though it got cancelled)was easily the strongest portion of that title's run.

He took a character(Black Panther) that was a fringe marvel hero at best and turned it into a somewhat successful title - in spite of Marvel.

Black Panther(especially during the Enemy of the State story arc) was critically acclaimed, and said by many to be the best book/series marvel had going at the time.

Priest deserves a major character.

If nothing else, he deserves Marvel to at least promote something he is working on. Imagine what Black Panther COULD have done had Marvel chosen to promote it even 1/10 of Daredevil or Ultimate Spiderman. sign-rantpost.gif

But i digress...

Waid off, Priest on, Waid on is not so much the point for me - it's the art! Weiringo's still drawing the book? He's terrible on FF. He was terrible on Spider-Man. He should do his own creator-owned character that would look right with his style. Same with Salvador Larroca, he sucked on FF. Put Alan Davis or Carlos Pacheo back on the book and I'll buy it.

I'm not disagreeing with your take that Priest did some good work in his career... and I think that he would have had a good take on the FF, and I hope he gets a shot at another book (maybe the Avengers after Johns leaves) where he can put Black Panther in a role that Johns was sort of gearing him up for during his run...

But... Waid's Kingdom Come is one of the best mainstream comic works to come down the pipe in a long time, and with the Alex Ross art, I found to be one of the best special projects outside of Marvels and Watchmen.

Waid also revitalized the Flash before Johns took over, and in my opinion, started the Flash on a run where it has been consistently one of the best super hero books produced.

Waid's also done some notable work on JLA and the Tower of Babel storyline that was probably the best story (if not better) than Grant Morrison's first four issue storyline.

Compile that with the run he just completed with the FF (where a very strong reintroduction of Dr. Doom was done) and I think you have an impressive resume.

I'm not even basing this all on personal preference, while I've enjoyed a lot of Waid's stories, I don't really pick up a book cause he's on it...

I would like to see Priest get some more opportunities, but while Black Panther was a pretty good read (I'd usually flip through it on the shelves, and occassionally buy it) it wasn't as good as Ultimate Spider Man has been...

That being said, I don't disagree with your basic statement that you want Priest to get a book with an A character. Marvel's current stable of writers isn't all that great outside of Waid and Bendis, so I'd be all for giving Priest a shot.

I rather like Wieringo, he makes Sue look real purty. grin.gif His art isn't very daring or highly expressive, but it's quite aesthetically pleasing in a simple, cartoonish kinda way. I don't feel uplifted by it, but it's a lot nicer to look at than most artists. I can't get into a lot of the more abstract artists like Sienkiewicz, Miller, Janson, and some others, but I enjoy looking at Wieringo's character depictions and facial expressions.

I want to hear Jemas eat some crow, publicly!!! This news would be a lot more satisfying if he'd come out and say "yep, I know, I know...I'm an arrogant arse, sorry about that." cloud9.gif27_laughing.gif

I'm not disagreeing with your take that Priest did some good work in his career... and I think that he would have had a good take on the FF, and I hope he gets a shot at another book (maybe the Avengers after Johns leaves) where he can put Black Panther in a role that Johns was sort of gearing him up for during his run...

But... Waid's Kingdom Come is one of the best mainstream comic works to come down the pipe in a long time, and with the Alex Ross art, I found to be one of the best special projects outside of Marvels and Watchmen.

Waid also revitalized the Flash before Johns took over, and in my opinion, started the Flash on a run where it has been consistently one of the best super hero books produced.

Waid's also done some notable work on JLA and the Tower of Babel storyline that was probably the best story (if not better) than Grant Morrison's first four issue storyline.

Compile that with the run he just completed with the FF (where a very strong reintroduction of Dr. Doom was done) and I think you have an impressive resume.

I'm not even basing this all on personal preference, while I've enjoyed a lot of Waid's stories, I don't really pick up a book cause he's on it...

I would like to see Priest get some more opportunities, but while Black Panther was a pretty good read (I'd usually flip through it on the shelves, and occassionally buy it) it wasn't as good as Ultimate Spider Man has been...

That being said, I don't disagree with your basic statement that you want Priest to get a book with an A character. Marvel's current stable of writers isn't all that great outside of Waid and Bendis, so I'd be all for giving Priest a shot.

You're right - it is all personal preference, because I would take Enemy of the State or the Panther/Namor/Magneto/Doom(not sure if there is an officially dubbed storyline arc name for that) storyline over ANY USM Benis ever wrote.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate Bendis, and his writing style, but he simply cannot create storylines and plots as intricate as Priest.

If you want to read any of that stuff, I can send you the books, or the Enemy of the State TPB and you read it all and tell me what you really think after reading it cover to cover. It's really a whole different ballgame when you look at the breadth of Priest's plots. Bendis and his dialogue and simplicity is great, too, but not epic like Priest.

I really appreciate the offer... maybe this weekend I'll pick up the entire storyline of "enemy of the state"... I've been looking for something new to read (although I have piles of stuff not read) but I'll pick it up this weekend and take a look and read it at one time. Thanks for the recommendation.

I rather like Wieringo, he makes Sue look real purty. grin.gif His art isn't very daring or highly expressive, but it's quite aesthetically pleasing in a simple, cartoonish kinda way.

You summed Weringo's art up in one word...cartoony. foreheadslap.gif

For me his artwork is terrible, perhaps if I was 11 years old I my appreciate it more, but it really does seem to be aimed at kids and we all know that no kids are reading comics. 893blahblah.gif

Waid and Weringo just don't fit.

I am glad to hear that Waid is back on board though, why fix something that isn't broken?

Now put a decent artist on the title and the book can really go places.