• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade this GL 76... I'm passing... LMK if anyone wants it?

19 posts in this topic

Grading Opinions please...

I have an opportunity to buy this raw GL 76 a little under the VF OS price... $125ish. Maybe a little lower.

I'm trying to determine if its worth the effort to CGC. I was permitted to take it home and scan it... (and read it)

insane.gif

Recent CGC sales:

CGC 7.0...$089…4/7/03

CGC 7.5...$145…4/5/03

CGC 8.0...$203…9/7/03

CGC 8.5...$225…1/5/03

CGC 9.0...$332…8/4/03

I called CGC in reference to the "pen mark" on the cover and was told it would not be much of a factor in the VF or lower range...

What you can't see (or see very well):

• Bottom Left FC has a small bindery tear

• Very small color fleck off under "n" in Lantern

• Tiny piece of Upper Right FC missing

• 1/16" non color-breaking indentation/crease along top edge

• Minor? surface wear/ abrasion in GL's right upper thigh (in the black)

• a few "flake-away" interior page corners... lower right

• of the 2 marks along the left edge BC... one is ink, the lower is a light indentation/crease about 1" long

1. What is the grade "ignoring" the Pen mark?

2. What is the grade "factoring in" the pen mark in your standard (not CGC's)

3. What will CGC grade this?

4. What's the right "buy price"?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

268958-GL76rawFC.jpg

268958-GL76rawFC.jpg.a1ccb8fa83749780167f6104f6d22229.jpg

1) VF+

2) VF

3) VF+

4) $125

For your reference...here's the front and back cover of my outer cover for my double cover VF/NM 9.0. Outer cover graded a VF+.

GL76%20-%20Front.JPG

GL76%20-%20Back.JPG

1. 8.0

2. 8.0 - thats a fairly sublime pen marking

3. 7.5(maybe 8.0) I don't think CGC would take off at this level for a relatively inobrusive pen mark.

4. I think the "buy price" varies greatly on whether it is slabbed or not.

If slabbed and 8.0 I would say it should go for around $200-210.

If not - probably $120-$140.

What's the page quaility?

Hard to tell from the scan, but it looks like it might get a Cream to Off-White.

Whenever deciding on sending a late Silver-Age or newer book to CGC, page quality becomes very important.

Cream to Off-White books will have significantly less bidders willing to pay for the book. While I wouldn't mind owning a CGC VF copy of this book, I wouldn't bid unless the page quality was Off-White or better.

I'd give it a VF-. The pen mark may be "sublime" and "unobrusive" (sic) to some, but it's still there and it ain't going away. The back cover looks ready for a good wonder bread facial. Still a nice book, but I can't see CGC giving it better than 8.0, and that seems optimistic to me...

What's the page quaility?

Hard to tell from the scan, but it looks like it might get a Cream to Off-White.

Whenever deciding on sending a late Silver-Age or newer book to CGC, page quality becomes very important.

Cream to Off-White books will have significantly less bidders willing to pay for the book. While I wouldn't mind owning a CGC VF copy of this book, I wouldn't bid unless the page quality was Off-White or better.

Believe it or not, although the very edge may be cream, the interior looks a bit better than OW to me.... but I suppose CtoOW is a probable CGC PQ.

I think I'm going to pass, sooner or later I'm gonna find a killer SA book Mike Shuley wants and then he'll offer his 9.4 in trade. If any regular here likes the book aroud the $115-125 price range (or make a close offer and I'll relay it), I would pick it up for them and send it off?

LMK

=======================================

ATTN: DAM60

Hey David.... I just had a bit of brainstorm (good or bad) to raise additional funds for the ongoing charity drive. If CGC would have no objection (and they might)... we start a thread specifically offering an "Unofficial CGC Forum Grading Service". We'd ask for a small contribution per book... $3 a pop, $5 for 2, $10 for 4, etc. for our "unofficial" opinions. Funds raised go to the same comic causes as before.

We'd take 15 nominations, and conduct a poll electing (3) "forum pre-graders" and maybe (7) "forum graders" (rotating in a 1-3 process like CGC ). The graders would be the 7 with the most votes, while the last 3 become pre-graders.

Interested outsiders would post FC/BC scans to our specs and they would receive some decent pre-grading recommendations. They would receive the individual grades and an average... and maybe a valuation too. We do this from time to time anyway?

Am I off my rocker or would this bring in some funds for the cause, keep us busy, and further hone our grading skills? We can ask "customers" that have CGC graded their books afterwards to report back... and then compare against the forum graders opinons to rank the graders. They will have to perform accurately to keep the position... or a pregrader or new nominee could bump them down a notch, or off entirely.

Maybe I am nuts? confused-smiley-013.gif

ATTN: DAM60

Hey David.... I just had a bit of brainstorm (good or bad) to raise additional funds for the ongoing charity drive. If CGC would have no objection (and they might)... we start a thread specifically offering an "Unofficial CGC Forum Grading Service". We'd ask for a small contribution per book... $3 a pop, $5 for 2, $10 for 4, etc. for our "unofficial" opinions. Funds raised go to the same comic causes as before.

We'd take 15 nominations, and conduct a poll electing (3) "forum pre-graders" and maybe (7) "forum graders" (rotating in a 1-3 process like CGC ). The graders would be the 7 with the most votes, while the last 3 become pre-graders.

Interested outsiders would post FC/BC scans to our specs and they would receive some decent pre-grading recommendations. They would receive the individual grades and an average... and maybe a valuation too. We do this from time to time anyway?

Am I off my rocker or would this bring in some funds for the cause, keep us busy, and further hone our grading skills? We can ask "customers" that have CGC graded their books afterwards to report back... and then compare against the forum graders opinons to rank the graders. They will have to perform accurately to keep the position... or a pregrader or new nominee could bump them down a notch, or off entirely.

Maybe I am nuts? confused-smiley-013.gif

Bruce, you are the man for always brainstorming. I like the idea of forum pre-graders! The only thing is, how is that different than what this entire forum is except now people have to pay????confused.gif

DAM

yeah, but for the cause... not really paying.

Point is... we give a more structured analysis to new forumites, lurkers that have limited grading capabilities and may benefit from some pre-screening.

In hindsight, the idea is flawed because we would need a way to draw out a decent amount of new people and CGC probably wouldn't like it much even if we could draw interest. Oh well, I have ideas that hit me over the head and sometimes i need to run with the concept for a short time until I realize it sucked.

27_laughing.gifstooges.gifforeheadslap.gif

Keep em coming Bruce. Even bad ideas are good for generating discussion. grin.gif

In this case, I'd have to go along with Dave, the pre-grading is already happening on the boards for free. Also as soon as you think about charging people (even for charity) you will effectively be going into competition with CGC, and it may hurt their business if the pre-grades dicourage people from submitting their books... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Here's something that I'd be game for, assuming CGC and the forum are in:

1) We pick a run or runs. Nothing serious, but some that could bring in some charity bucks. ie. McFarlane ASM, Miller DD, etc.

2) Forum members who have these books raw sign up. Exact numbers/rules to be decided.

3) We each send these books to CGC, coded somehow for the charity drive, or addressed to Steve, etc.

4) CGC provides the grading and posts the numbers on the forum.

5) The books are then sent back to Person X who's in charge of the auction, and he/she sells them on EBay and distributes the money to charity.

5) The Big Kahuna who brings in the best grades and the most bucks gets showered with praise and immortalized in Bronze.. or something like that. Maybe even greggy can give up his Forum Legend title...

yeah, but for the cause... not really paying.

Point is... we give a more structured analysis to new forumites, lurkers that have limited grading capabilities and may benefit from some pre-screening.

In hindsight, the idea is flawed because we would need a way to draw out a decent amount of new people and CGC probably wouldn't like it much even if we could draw interest. Oh well, I have ideas that hit me over the head and sometimes i need to run with the concept for a short time until I realize it sucked.

27_laughing.gifstooges.gifforeheadslap.gif

Bruce, at my old job one of my bosses once gave me sage advice: "if you never make mistakes, it means that you aren't exploring enough options or opportunities"

This is by far NOT a mistake and I appreciate the suggestion! smile.gif

DAM