• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$$$$$$$ Turtles

93 posts in this topic

Does someone really want to plunk down 9k for this book?

I was never a fan of the turtles, even when I was young, so I've never really understood the hub bub over this book.

Hell no

Me either

Please add me to the list. If I ever stumbled across one of these, I wouldn't be able to flip it fast enough. :grin:

and i'll add further angst to this thread by asking the following; WHY is this a "significant" book? why? I could never understand it?

Because its the 1st app. of TMNT???? WHO CARES????(shrug) Personally, I find the "myth" behind this book, to be truly bizzare...

NOT interested!

Thanks for sharing. (thumbs u

I personally find it significant as I was there for the premiere in May, 1984 at the Sheraton Hotel in Portsmouth, NH to pick up my double signed copy. :acclaim:

Small print run

Extremely tough to get in HG

1st appearance of the most popular character(s) to come out after 1980

Lots of fans

O.K. MK...lets take each of these points individually...

1) small run- so what? LOTS of things have small prints and have no value, because there is no demand. This points to my overall my query, I have NO idea how this BOOK became popular? because I can hypothesize with a solid degree of confidence, that the kiddies of the 90's that grew up on these turtles, are NOT looking for HG copies of TMNT#1...I seriously doubt it.

2) Tough in HG-I hope so, there are barely any printed, and were not the originals printed in like, a basement or something?

3) Most popular charcaters since 1980- that has GOT to be debateable. I'm not going to deep think the subject at this moment, but i'll come up with something.

4)lots of fans-REALLY???? whom? i've never met a one? oh, I realize obviously there are some, but LOTS? really? over thr age of 12?

i'm flummoxed (shrug)

Small print run

Lots of fans

1) small run- so what? LOTS of things have small prints and have no value, because there is no demand. This points to my overall my query, I have NO idea how this BOOK became popular? because I can hypothesize with a solid degree of confidence, that the kiddies of the 90's that grew up on these turtles, are NOT looking for HG copies of TMNT#1...I seriously doubt it.

2) Tough in HG-I hope so, there are barely any printed, and were not the originals printed in like, a basement or something?

3) Most popular charcaters since 1980- that has GOT to be debateable. I'm not going to deep think the subject at this moment, but i'll come up with something.

4)lots of fans-REALLY???? whom? i've never met a one? oh, I realize obviously there are some, but LOTS? really? over thr age of 12?

i'm flummoxed (shrug)

Does flummoxed mean full of sh*t?

Are you insane?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles

Take everything on Wikipedia with a grain of salt.. but look at the market penetration.

Yes, understood...but maybe i'm not elucidating my point well enough. What does the popularity of the TMNT themselves, and all the success of the merchandise, have to do with this comic? and YES, i'm serious. I bet MOST of the kids that grew up with these turtles, didn't even KNOW they started in a comic book?

I sucess of the characters and franchise I can understand, but its the BOOK I cannot for the life of me get? Why is the BOOK valuable? The overall proliferation of the franchise, has almost ZERO to do with the original comic book? and as I personally believe, I seriously doubt, the majority of those same 'kids' that grew up with these characters from TOYS, FILMS, and CARTOONS...are actively seeking this book?

I'm sorry, call me what you may, I just don't get it zzz

that's a pretty copy of a significant book. i have to wonder why so may haters? my uncle would call all the silver marvel books "new junk" while he bought his gold dcs and duck books. you sound like him.

i wasn’t hating, more just surprised. and i really can imagine Spawn 1 being valuable one day, 10, 15 years down the line. i know a million we’re printed, but they have had such a bad rap for such a long time there may not be as many super high grade issues out there. but there will be people nostalgic for the series at some point.

Small print run

Lots of fans

i'm flummoxed (shrug)

Does flummoxed mean full of sh*t?

No, and after reading many of your posts, I believe you should brush up on your own personal vocabulary...it's lacking :makepoint:

Are you insane?

Take everything on Wikipedia with a grain of salt.. but look at the market penetration.

Yes, understood...but maybe i'm not elucidating my point well enough. What does the popularity of the TMNT themselves, and all the success of the merchandise, have to do with this comic? and YES, i'm serious. I bet MOST of the kids that grew up with these turtles, didn't even KNOW they started in a comic book?

I sucess of the characters and franchise I can understand, but its the BOOK I cannot for the life of me get? Why is the BOOK valuable? The overall proliferation of the franchise, has almost ZERO to do with the original comic book? and as I personally believe, I seriously doubt, the majority of those same 'kids' that grew up with these characters from TOYS, FILMS, and CARTOONS...are actively seeking this book?

Because of the giant fanbase.....comic collectors assume the book is a good investment? (shrug)

Are you insane?

Because of the giant fanbase.....comic collectors assume the book is a good investment? (shrug)

Why do you always assume people are investing?

That is a poor argument, as the same can be said for Spider-Man today. How many kids that enjoy the TOYS, FILMS, and CARTOONS know about and actually read the comics?

Are you insane?

I always assume this? Please feel free to cite a sample of the multitude of examples....

I would LOVE to own that book in that high of grade, but I don't have 9K of free spending money. I know that 9K is chump change to some but to me it's quite a lot of money to throw around. It is a very Very VERY nice book and It would be GREAT to have this 9.6 white copy...but not now or in the forseeable future.

Othe stuff to get before this.

Great book though and thought TMNT were great reads.

Are you insane?

I always assume this? Please feel free to cite a sample of the multitude of examples....

You have too many posts, but ive seen you write this a couple of times. You know there are true fans and collectors out there :gossip:

That is a poor argument, as the same can be said for Spider-Man today. How many kids that enjoy the TOYS, FILMS, and CARTOONS know about and actually read the comics?

Actually, with all due respect, YOUR analogy is far more poor. SPIDER-Man, came out in 1963, and the COMIC was the ONLY way you could find entertainment involving the character. There were NO cartoons, NO toys, NO films, ect, ect....it makes a TON more sense why Spider-man COMICS are popular, IMO...and the same goes for many other "comic" related characters.

Now, what about these fools? what's the RATIONAL excuse? other than what BEYONDER wrote about "investor" collectors basically CREATING a market?

A simple answer to why TMNT #1 is so "valuable" is that collectors want it. Not all fans become comic book readers. Not all comic book readers become "collectors".

Collectors collect.. and if they collect TMNT, #1 First Printing is the grail. (thumbs u

You can see this with the Buffy fans. They've glommed onto the comic books as the only place to see a continuation of the Buffy series... and the latecomers are going back and trying to buy all the way back to #1.

Are you insane?

You have too many posts, but ive seen you write this a couple of times. You know there are true fans and collectors out there :gossip:

I know ;)