• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Old comic catalogs & lists - post 'em if you got 'em

53 posts in this topic

Has anyone done a thread or set up a website devoted to scans of old comic catalogs? I did a search and found some old Rogofsky catalogs and I know that Robert Beerbohm had some really neat scans in the Jerry Bails thread but I was wondering if there were any more out there.

I know that I had a collection of about 100 catalogs and lists mainly from the late 70s and early 80s from the likes of J&S, Mile High, Rogofsky, David Yaruss and plenty of others from that era but they were destroyed by hurricane Hugo in the late 80's.

There were plenty of others that I have never seen such as Bill Thailing, Richard Alf, Clint's books, Grand Book and tons others that I think would be neat from a historical perspective. There were probably plenty of other folks who never advertised in the comics at that time as well and seeing those would be great too.

Sorry if this horse has been beaten but it would be neat for some of us 'newer' collectors to see what was what back in the day. Some of the scans that have been posted bring me back when I see the hand typed ads with things hand-written in or crossed out. So if you have any old catalogs or lists grab a scanner and put 'em up!

And if you have any information on what happened to some of these old dealers pass that on for the record books too!

Thanks,

Jerry

Has anyone done a thread or set up a website devoted to scans of old comic catalogs? I did a search and found some old Rogofsky catalogs and I know that Robert Beerbohm had some really neat scans in the Jerry Bails thread but I was wondering if there were any more out there.

I know that I had a collection of about 100 catalogs and lists mainly from the late 70s and early 80s from the likes of J&S, Mile High, Rogofsky, David Yaruss and plenty of others from that era but they were destroyed by hurricane Hugo in the late 80's.

There were plenty of others that I have never seen such as Bill Thailing, Richard Alf, Clint's books, Grand Book and tons others that I think would be neat from a historical perspective. There were probably plenty of other folks who never advertised in the comics at that time as well and seeing those would be great too.

Sorry if this horse has been beaten but it would be neat for some of us 'newer' collectors to see what was what back in the day. Some of the scans that have been posted bring me back when I see the hand typed ads with things hand-written in or crossed out. So if you have any old catalogs or lists grab a scanner and put 'em up!

And if you have any information on what happened to some of these old dealers pass that on for the record books too!

Thanks,

Jerry

Good thread!!! I mentioned Howard Rogofsky in a recent thread as well concerning comic book grading in the 60's. I thought his books were very decent but I don't remember actual grades being given to any of them. I just remember that he mentioned coverless © books in his catalog. At the time late 60's I was buying Marvels and I remember buying daredevil #1 for $3.00 (almost mint) and a JIM #88 for about $3.00 also in VF-. ASM #1 was selling for $20.00. He (Howard) also had a decent amount of Golden Age also (especially Timely's) but I didn't pursue those then (#@o&8%$).

I don't have any of the catalogs left, but I'd love to see a couple of them if somone has them.

I also remember Grand Comics or something like this from New York (or was it Brooklyn), but they had a huge catalog ten times as big as Rogofsky's. Also Robert Bell who had a checklist of Marvel Comics for $0.25.

I will post a few RBCC here so you can see some of the fantastic covers they put out on their publication. Also if I can find it a memographed list from Marvel of back issues they had still in stock from around 1967 or 68. I bought a lot from them and the condition of these books were incredible.

Anyway a few RBCC!!!!

RBCC112cover.jpg

RBCC117cover.jpg

RBCC73-1.jpg

RBCC86.jpg

Thanks,

Jerry

Good thread!!! I mentioned Howard Rogofsky in a recent thread as well concerning comic book grading in the 60's. I thought his books were very decent but I don't remember actual grades being given to any of them. I just remember that he mentioned coverless © books in his catalog. At the time late 60's I was buying Marvels and I remember buying daredevil #1 for $3.00 (almost mint) and a JIM #88 for about $3.00 also in VF-. ASM #1 was selling for $20.00. He (Howard) also had a decent amount of Golden Age also (especially Timely's) but I didn't pursue those then (#@o&8%$).

I don't have any of the catalogs left, but I'd love to see a couple of them if somone has them.

I also remember Grand Comics or something like this from New York (or was it Brooklyn), but they had a huge catalog ten times as big as Rogofsky's. Also Robert Bell who had a checklist of Marvel Comics for $0.25.

I will post a few RBCC here so you can see some of the fantastic covers they put out on their publication. Also if I can find it a memographed list from Marvel of back issues they had still in stock from around 1967 or 68. I bought a lot from them and the condition of these books were incredible.

Anyway a few RBCC!!!!

RBCC112cover.jpg

RBCC117cover.jpg

RBCC73-1.jpg

RBCC86.jpg

(worship)

more please ...

Anyway a few RBCC!!!!

RBCC112cover.jpg

great pics, thanks! Don Newton is channeling Wally Wood here, and doing a pretty good job at it

Here's a price list from 1973/74, dated based on the Overstreet for sale. Pretty cool. I like the difference in prices for the Star Spangled #1. NM for $90 but a Fair for $70. Probaby the NM is a Fine but still.

ad1.jpg

ad2.jpg

Here's a price list from 1973/74, dated based on the Overstreet for sale. Pretty cool. I like the difference in prices for the Star Spangled #1. NM for $90 but a Fair for $70. Probaby the NM is a Fine but still.

ad1.jpg

ad2.jpg

Sweet!!! Old pages from Robert Bell. Nice to see them!!! Thanks!!!!

Like I mentioned before he also had a Marvel comics checklist (it came with prices and I think you could buy all of these issues from Bell, as I recall) for a quarter $0.25, I think this was around 1969 or 1970. This checklist was small, I'd say about 3" x 2" (it could fit in your shirt pocket), with all the info just typed out. Mine was printed on yellow paper!!!! Wish I still had it. Oh Well, maybe someone else has one they can share!!!

Oh yeah, here's another RBCC;

RBCC126.jpg

Thanks,

Jerry

Ah yes, Grand Books aka Comic Sales Company operated out of Grand Street in Brooklyn. Their ads appeared in nearly every Marvel and DC title in the 70s. I used to save up money and beg my dad for a check to get my monthly comic fix - that was before I discovered that I could get a money order from the post office!

They never listed a condition, so it was hit and miss to get a high grade book (like Rogofsky) - but at that time I didnt know any better.

Bill

Yeah that was it!!! Grand Books out of Brooklyn!!!! :/

What ever happened to them??? (shrug)

I dunno... I guess they went bust. Their ads stopped appearing in the early 80s and I never received another catalog again. Anyone?

I dunno... I guess they went bust. Their ads stopped appearing in the early 80s and I never received another catalog again. Anyone?

and does anyone have an old catalog or list they can scan.....? ;)

Love the posts sofar! That Robert Bell price list with Piracy 1 at $17 compared to a Human Torch 27 for the same price and a Mad 24 and a Weird Fantasy 10 at $30 the same or more than all of the Marvel Mystery's over issue 41. These were for "good or better." I think the last copy of Piracy 1 that I had was about a VG around 10 years ago and if I remember right I got about $20 for it!

and does anyone have an old catalog or list they can scan.....? ;)

Love the posts sofar! That Robert Bell price list with Piracy 1 at $17 compared to a Human Torch 27 for the same price and a Mad 24 and a Weird Fantasy 10 at $30 the same or more than all of the Marvel Mystery's over issue 41. These were for "good or better." I think the last copy of Piracy 1 that I had was about a VG around 10 years ago and if I remember right I got about $20 for it!

That's very true!!! I think EC's have generally not gone up like other (Golden Age-EarlyASilver Age) comics have. Even in the late 60's and early 70's they were very expensive!!!!

As far as Piracy goes, I sold two copies in the past year #1 for about $30.00 and a # 3 for around $25.00. Both were about FN (6.0).

Woo Hoo!

RBCC86.jpg

wrightson.jpg

Wrightson. Name rings a bell. Did he ever do anything besides fanzine covers? (shrug)

Killer piece. And colored! (worship)(worship)

...and check out the price on one that I have been looking for that I just noticed, Bang-Up comics #1. This was a $100 book in the 80's when I got my first copy and even now the Church copy is at Metro for $4600 and a VG copy for $180. I would have hated to have purchased that for investment back then!

And most of the Disney stuff is still available for $5-10 in low grade today - the same price it was back then!

But then again, in 1987 Fish Police 1 in NM was a $75-100 book.... :)

One should point out that FAIR, GOOD, VERY GOOD had much different conotations back in the day than now

Plus, FINE AND VERY FINE pretty much did not exist 30 years back to teh degree where it is all so "scientific" with the 10 point system now in play for most collectors

Good used to mean exactly what the term implies in the general English language