• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! MLJ Publishing and Golden Age Archie only!
22 22

3,914 posts in this topic

Here's the poor man's #34

compep16_zpsb45w2ffs.jpg

I have a 7.0 of that one. Yeah, I "settled" for that when it became obvious the ship for 34 had sailed. Funny thing though, the no. 16 is actually the hypodermic needle cover. No. 34 the baddie is actually spraying gas, no needle involved. The baddie on 16 is actually drawing blood, so the Shield is too late on this one. On no. 34 he's just in time to save the day ( I think). Goes to show, it's not not the message it's the messenger. The baddie on no. 34 is just waaay more scarier. So hence a more notorious "syringe" cover.

Yeah, hard choice between the 34 and the 20. Both just outrageous covers!

Here's my beater 20. (at least it has white pages)

compep20_zpsnzktmkqx.jpg

Originally I preferred #34 with it's over the top fanged nazi, despite the awkward composition and anatomy on the cover. Now I prefer the graphic symbolism of #20, a more powerfully anti-Axis cover.

compep16_zpsb45w2ffs.jpg

I have a 7.0 of that one. Yeah, I "settled" for that when it became obvious the ship for 34 had sailed. Funny thing though, the no. 16 is actually the hypodermic needle cover. No. 34 the baddie is actually spraying gas, no needle involved. The baddie on 16 is actually drawing blood, so the Shield is too late on this one. On no. 34 he's just in time to save the day ( I think). Goes to show, it's not not the message it's the messenger. The baddie on no. 34 is just waaay more scarier. So hence a more notorious "syringe" cover.

I actually like this cover as well and think the Vulture (If memory serves) is a super neat baddie in his own right!! Almost a villainous Dark Knight in appearance. So many great Pep covers. I think (and I could be wrong) one of the reasons the 34 is pricier is not just the cover as it doesn't out swing this one by much at all but the interiors. The splash on the Hangman is All Time and let's not forget Americas favorite teenager and the mirth of a nation also has a story so it kind of crosses paths of both collectors. Wartime and Archietime. Either way I want em both!!!! :D(thumbs u

compep20_zpsnzktmkqx.jpg

Wow!!! When you're ready RM!!! When you're ready!! :baiting::applause:

Whoa, whoa Gino. Classic cover, scarce book AND some spine pieces missing? That's my turf! :slapfight:

I've been focused exclusively on Zips these days, but damn... you guys are swaying me back. Great stuff here. :headbang:

compep16_zpsb45w2ffs.jpg

I actually like this cover as well and think the Vulture (If memory serves) is a super neat baddie in his own right!! Almost a villainous Dark Knight in appearance. So many great Pep covers. I think (and I could be wrong) one of the reasons the 34 is pricier is not just the cover as it doesn't out swing this one by much at all but the interiors. The splash on the Hangman is All Time and let's not forget Americas favorite teenager and the mirth of a nation also has a story so it kind of crosses paths of both collectors. Wartime and Archietime. Either way I want em both!!!! :D(thumbs u

Well said Gino :D best to have em both! And yes, the villain on Pep 16 is the Vulture, who had three other kick a** covers in the run he graced. Tied with the Rattler, and both of them bested by The Skull, who I think takes the crown as MLJ top baddie cover boy.

compep20_zpsnzktmkqx.jpg

Wow!!! When you're ready RM!!! When you're ready!! :baiting::applause:

Whoa, whoa Gino. Classic cover, scarce book AND some spine pieces missing? That's my turf! :slapfight:

I've been focused exclusively on Zips these days, but damn... you guys are swaying me back. Great stuff here. :headbang:

lol Honestly I figured all the COOL kids already had one which would mean you weren't in the market :foryou: I think we are fishing from the same pond brother :grin:

compep16_zpsb45w2ffs.jpg

Well said Gino :D best to have em both! And yes, the villain on Pep 16 is the Vulture, who had three other kick a** covers in the run he graced. Tied with the Rattler, and both of them bested by The Skull, who I think takes the crown as MLJ top baddie cover boy.

good stuff C!! agreed

Haha, come on now, it's really not that shocking is it? The king of misspelled and poorly-punctuated rants is just trying to sell his book again ... a far fall from his original 10k asking price. The fact that the 4k reserve has been met is also not surprising as it is likely him under another name. If it goes no higher he will pull the book, or post something on the boards like he did after he tried to auction it on CC and the winning bidder mysteriously backed out after the close. :insane:

Haha, come on now, it's really not that shocking is it? The king of misspelled and poorly-punctuated rants is just trying to sell his book again ... a far fall from his original 10k asking price. The fact that the 4k reserve has been met is also not surprising as it is likely him under another name. If it goes no higher he will pull the book, or post something on the boards like he did after he tried to auction it on CC and the winning bidder mysteriously backed out after the close. :insane:

Ah, now it's coming back to me. :D