• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unrestored, eh?

152 posts in this topic

Dice:

I'll give you a f'rinstance. Look at the pad on your index finger. Look at anyone elses. At 12" away, they look alike. You might be able to see the loop and a whirl but no real detail. Enlarge those two fingerprints and the differences become clear.

Same with a TV. Put your face on the screen and what do you see? Red, green, blue dots. You have to step away from the tube to see the big picture but think of this: For every individual image that appears on your TV, the same dot pattern will never appear exactly the same again. Each fleeting image had its own dot pattern.

Same with a comic. Each and every different title and number has its own dot or scanned pixel pattern that is not duplicated on any other comic exactly the same way except on the same issue, printed from the same plate at the same time. Besides wear, creasing, demarcations, wrinkles on the surface, the same issue should have the same pixel pattern showing up on a scanned image, by and large, of another of the same issue.

Now there will be AF15s that have a lighter brown area, or darker brown area as color hues do vary on issue to issue due to storage, fading, etc. but the patterns of light and dark and color differences that give the cover its fingerprint should still be present on each same issue.

Any attempt to apply color to the cover can and will be picked up at the proper saturation level and size modification as visible in the interlaced pixels.

If someone can host these images I've worked with, you'll all say a collective, "Ahhhhhhh, that's what that nutty smoking squirrel is talking about. Now I see it."

JT,

I've been here for almost a month! I just havn't had anything informative to contribute as an asset to the Board. I'm still learning basically. But, I think that I can make up for that with what I've discovered here if we can host my work in some way, which is really based on your post which got me thinking and FFs which presented the idea of anolomies.

I think that I can arm you with an important procedure tool for examining raw books from scans if an ebay image is large enough not to obliterate pixel detail.

I think you have it wrong.

I see what you're saying, but you don't quite have it right.

For instance.

You can scan the same book on two different scanners and get different "pixel patterns".

Nice try though.

Dice:

Nope! The images I have were taken right from Ebay on the same scanner. My scanner. They were both saturated with the same settings and the patterns, right down to the individual pixels are identical (except for where there is a crease or defect that obliterated the surface level).

Can you host these images? They'll make a believer out of you in my findings.

Two different AF15s imaged on the same scanner. A pixel pattern unlike any other book I processed the same way (scanned 4 other brown areas from different issues so far). Colors on adjacent pixels that are identical! That's not a coincidence. The beat up AF15 matches the nice one, right down to the pixel level without variance.

Also, a color touch area washed out adjacent pixel borders on another experiment. You see pixels or individual surface "cells" and then suddenly what looks like a brush stroke (didn't use a brush). Very easy to see on the saturated, enlarged scan. I think that my methodogy is sound as the results will show.

Thank you for the stars. But I wish someone would host these pics. It might really help someone by changing the way you examine Ebay images.

This is a very easy procedure. Just a couple of adjustments to the brightness, size, sharpness, and contrast. If I can do it, anyone can and the results are startling.

I tried it on an AF15 on Ebay that is advertised as restored. The entire brown area is a combination of clearly evident individual pixels, then suddenly all the pixels disappear where the color was applied. The restorer used the same color brown! But that AF15 brown is made up of many different colors that are consistant on each issue on adjacent pixels. To color touch an AF15 undetectably, yo'd have to accurately color each individual pixel the exact correct value consistantly to escape detectability when you examine the image at this level with this saturation!!

The way to make this type of detedtion almost foolproof would be to have a library of high saturation, enlarged images of a book available that is undisputabley not color touched. Like issues should display the same fingerprint (pixel patterns) of color and hue, consistantly.

Oops! Back to one star?? OK. I tried to present something here with clear results that show what I thought would be an important tool to arm oneself to fare better in persuing raw issues. Swing the odds of favorable outcome in the buyer's direction.

This isn't going too well though and obviously, nobody wants to hear it, or see the results that was made evident by my work.

Like Gilda Radner used to say on SNL: "Never mind".

What the heck do I know? I'm just a squirrel with a scanner and a pair of opened eyes.

Otis:

I wish I could afford either of the AF15s I used in my work! I didn't realize that my findings would be disregarded based on the seller's identity rather than the material I analyzed.

I was wondering why nobody even wanted to see the results! Now I understand.

If the opportunity arises again in a situation on books that aren't being offered by a particular seller then possibly someone will be more interested in seeing what I believe to be an excellent tool for analyzing scanned images if I run the same methods.

Lesson learned. My apologies to the Forum.

Otis:

I didn't know I was defending anybody! Because of two posts way up above, I started thinking about ways to examine a cover scan that panned out very positively. I myself was surprised at the vivid results!

Looking back at a few other recent threads, about 5 other plebes were accused of being this person (Blueadept, Batfan, and a few others). All I can say is that if you don't want new Forum members to come aboard as is professed, just close the membership. Tell newbies outright, "get lost, peddle your papers elsewhere" and at least that way no effort is put forth by newbies to try to contribute very informative info here in trying to be a Forum asset.

Leave it a closed community. When someone dies, open up a seat and take resumes. That seems to be the mindset here.

Otis:

I didn't know I was defending anybody! Because of two posts way up above, I started thinking about ways to examine a cover scan that panned out very positively. I myself was surprised at the vivid results!

Looking back at a few other recent threads, about 5 other plebes were accused of being this person (Blueadept, Batfan, and a few others). All I can say is that if you don't want new Forum members to come aboard as is professed, just close the membership. Tell newbies outright, "get lost, peddle your papers elsewhere" and at least that way no effort is put forth by newbies to try to contribute very informative info here in trying to be a Forum asset.

Leave it a closed community. When someone dies, open up a seat and take resumes. That seems to be the mindset here.

Plenty of contributing new members here but if you want to make generalizations then go ahead. I'm a fairly new member here too and everything has gone smoothly for me on this bizarro message board. Honestly, I don't see the problems you cited but then again I have not spent as much time here as you.