• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unrestored, eh?

152 posts in this topic

See, what I did there was create a little mini-comic book for you, Pov. Note the sequential form as I express my wide range of emotions upon receiving flowers from you.

Stan Lee would be proud!

confused.gif893whatthe.gif893frustrated.gifmad.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Would Eisner? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Get REAL, man! 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Sigh...POV has dissed me this one last time! Ignoring me via PMs. Too bad, as it was a sweet...sweet deal that I was offering. Notice the operative word "WAS". It was so sweet that it would do well as Khaos' sugar fix when we secretly increase his dosage! shocked.gif

Pov, I find that if you call greggy "Mistress", he loosens his grip on those sweet, sweet DCs.
gossip.gif don't want OUR secret to be exposed to the peanut gallery! 893blahblah.gif

Pov, I find that if you call greggy "Mistress", he loosens his grip on those sweet, sweet DCs.
gossip.gif don't want OUR secret to be exposed to the peanut gallery! 893blahblah.gif

>sigh< if only I hadn't so recently given up comic books for a sweet, sweet iPod... confused-smiley-013.gif

>sigh< if only I hadn't so recently given up comic books for a sweet, sweet iPod... confused-smiley-013.gif

Boy...you must be TJ! You say you have to go but you are still around! What's with that? confused-smiley-013.gif

Boy...you must be TJ! You say you have to go but you are still around! What's with that? confused-smiley-013.gif

I'm doing your bidding up in the 'Cooler, Human In-Sink-Erator!

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to actually pick up those 180 pound dumbells off the floor with the same ease that you grab the 60s, and be able to walk over to the incline bench nonchalantly with them and pound out a set of 8 to 10 reps without a spotter instead of looking at them every time you go to the gym and saying to yourself, "Gee, I wonder what it must feel like to be strong enough to do inclines with them?".

OK - I have to ask - what does that have to do with the ability to properly and accurately grade a comic book?

foreheadslap.gif

C'mon POV! I was using a quote from him to make a joke about the fact that Hammer always seems to throw in something about his supposed physical superiority, even in the middle of a comic related debate.

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to actually pick up those 180 pound dumbells off the floor with the same ease that you grab the 60s, and be able to walk over to the incline bench nonchalantly with them and pound out a set of 8 to 10 reps without a spotter instead of looking at them every time you go to the gym and saying to yourself, "Gee, I wonder what it must feel like to be strong enough to do inclines with them?".

OK - I have to ask - what does that have to do with the ability to properly and accurately grade a comic book?

foreheadslap.gif

C'mon POV! I was using a quote from him to make a joke about the fact that Hammer always seems to throw in something about his supposed physical superiority, even in the middle of a comic related debate.

foreheadslap.gif I sudder! I burn! I foreheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gif

Sorry Cap - you were so convincing I forgot who the poster was!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! flowerred.gif

The brown areas of AF15 quite often have natural discoloration due to some kind of printing anomaly that doesn't affect every copy...where exactly do you suspect the CT to be?

I can't really pick out the potential color touch. Too busy admiring the unusually fresh edges of this key.

The two of you have to be kidding, right? It's a hack-job. I followed Pov's lead and played with the Gamma, Hue, and Saturation of the image, and the areas stand out pretty plainly. If anyone wants the pic I can send it to you, or you can try and see it for yourselves.

If it's of any help, the same 4 dark areas are on all AF15s mixed in with lighter areas. I have no way to host the pics if someone wants to do so for me, I'd be glad to send saturated scans. I experimented with settings that showed the identical color traits, right down to individual pixels, present on this AF15 in question against a control copy (auction #2192967396).

It seems that this isn't a printing analomy that effects some AF15s. It appears to be on all of them. There are many different colors present that make up waht appears to our eye to be a uniform dark brown, ranging from yellow, even yellowish green to four or more deep brown areas that border more on black than brown (dark chocolate).

If someone wants to host the images, which I'm sure would prove very enlighteneing as to the printing/color characteristics of AF15 for future reference, I'll be glad to send the scans. Just tell me how and where to send them.

i don't see it, but if this book is not colour touched, what do you think about the clean/sharp edges? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif270417-15.jpg

Just trim it down to the top of the word "AMAZING".

Then trim it on the right side to the CCA box.

Viola. Instant 9.0!

thumbsup2.gif

Supa:

I learned alot today about print mechanics by doing these exercises. I believe that high saturation scanning is the ultimate color detection tool.

Each of these comics has a printing fingerprint. A pattern of color differences that is constant from specific issue to issue. Beinf able to examine individual pixels at high magnification is the key.

It's like taking a chessboard and coloring each square in a slightly different way. Even though when you see the chessboard at arm's length, there are drastic differences in color, from 30 feet away, the board would appear as say a brown board. Then, as you get closer, the squares take on the true appearance of different shades of brown and other colors as well!

I took a bronze age beat up rag, and tried my best with a needle to color what would turn up what I thought the size of individual scan pixels would be when magnified. Even with a needle, the color touch was evident, not only as the wrong color, but as breaking up the pixel pattern (printing fingerprint) in the color applied saturating across more than 1 pixel. Therfore it's easy detection. Now this was with a sewing needle just dabbed in acrylic paint and barely touched to the cover.

AF15s have a definite interlaced zig-zag pixel pattern and no two adjoining pixels are exactly the same color, even though they all make up a brown color. The one in the other auction and this one in question here have the same constant pixel pattern only disturbed of course, where there is actual wear to the surface (the color broken).

Further, under high mag (approx 9.5 mb and saturated with high brightness), the edges are definitely not trimmed. It's very difficult to make out the top edge because the book's edge is dark (dark chocolate) and very close to the color of the scanning shadow (blackish brown). There is normal overhang wear along the top consistant with the grade in my estimation and the right and lower edge also appears very normal.

If you have a way to host these enhanced images to see visually what I'm trying to describe verbally, I'd be glad to send themn to you.

Now, that "Perry" is here, I think its time to leave this thread alone. Needless to say, I stick by my assertion of color touch, based solely on the various AF15s (both restored and not) that I've held in my hands compared to what I see in the pic. Of course, since this one in particular is not available for first-hand inspection, I will certainly concede the possibility that I could be wrong.

As always, Buyer beware without CGC.