• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SA ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES: RD.4

SA ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES  

213 members have voted

1. 1. SA ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES

37 posts in this topic

Given the number of Adams fans on these boards, the lack of support for Gene Colan's work is baffling. They're both working in similarlly "organic" styles, and neither was afraid to push the boundaries of narrative weirdness. The Colan/Palmer Doctor Strange issues are just wonderfully bizarre.

doctor_strange_174a.jpg

doctor_strange_18201a.jpg

:juggle:

I'm embarassed to admit how many of the artists on this list I'm not familiar with their work. In a couple more rounds, I can begin voting! doh!

BTW - Gene Colan's work on DD was great!

Crumb again, he'll be gone soon enough, i suspect.........

Red Hook has finally ( :grin:) produced a large print of my MIS cover for issue # 90 (as scanned by someone in the 3d round). i will get Carmine Infantino to sign it at the National on Saturday - one of the Giants of the SA............ :cloud9:

now if i could only find a way to get Joe Kubert to sign the big print of my B&B #44........... :wishluck:

I haven't chimed in much, but I wanted to say that you're doing a great job, Watcher. I don't know enough of the more obscure names but I'll probably weigh in more when it comes down to the big guns.

Yes, this is turning out fun.

I'm surprised to see Ross Andru getting a lot of votes. OK, maybe he couldn't draw like Frazetta, but a lot of his work was quintessentially Silver Age. Here are some examples from several genres, early to mid-Silver Age.

Early DC historical adventure:

47725-1247_4_10.jpg

A long run of classic Wonder Woman covers ranging from classic to goofy.

Peter wasn't the easiest act to follow!

47724-277_4_095.jpg

Lots of soldiers/ task force vs. dinosaur covers.

47723-945_4_0092.jpg

47722-1098_4_038.jpg

And a long run of Metal Men covers that I like a lot! A really different, lighter book. Here's a nice fanciful example. shiverbones might like this one.

47721-1554_4_04.jpg

I wasn't crazy about his later-SA Marvel work, but I bet some people here would call it some of his best. Maybe they'll post some examples.

Jack

You know, these threads should be prefaced by a gallery of thumbnails with a classic example of each artists' work for us to reference.

Frankly, there are still more than a few artists whom I'm not very familiar with, so it ends up being a lot like those ballots where we get to vote on which judge should retain their seat.

Lucey - sorry, never been a big fan of the Archie style - and Ayers. Ayers was good, but outside of his great early Western work, i've never enjoyed his work.

i recognise why some love Colan, but his style really de-emphasizes accurate anatomy - rather like Kirby in that sense - and his stylishness can't overcome that for me. i'll be voting for him next, most likely

It's all about exposing people to art they've never seen before :grin:

Who is this art you speak of, and why are you exposing him to people? :o

Great job on the poll btw. :golfclap: Now I must go look at that list and give somebody the axe.

Ze-

George Tuska & S.Clay Wilson have left the building :hi: Let's see whose next to go. Same rules as previous rounds: VOTE OFF YOUR TWO LEAST FAVORITE ARTISTS. .

I've been trying to get rid of Andru and Grandenetti for 3 rounds - make this 4...