• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I dont understand.. PT2

13 posts in this topic

I hate to say it, and not sure if you want to hear it, but here are my thoughts:

1. Reserves can deter bidders

2. Prime pieces always get big bucks, but less prime ones don't, people could be holding out for a better page and willing to pay much more.

3. People could be saving up for christmas present spending, or big thanksgiving sales

4. Maybe the sub prime market is affecting OA after all!

Malvin

Plus pages in this range are hit or miss, in terms of your percentage gain or loss. Let's say you paid $200 for the page, just for an easy example.

It's a page that most mid-high end collectors aren't looking for, but that doesn't mean it isn't a nice example from a good book, and a reasonably hot artist. On any given week, it could fetch anywhere from $100 - $250, depending on who's looking to buy. So that's a 50% loss v. a 25% gain. I think a lot of people get hung up on "losing money" and feel bad when they lose even $100 on a piece (though when you lose 50% of your value on something it makes you feel raw, I know)

There's more and more of this OA stuff out there all the time. Every month, most of the art from most of the new books becomes available, and to be honest, I'm shocked that modern artists can be charging what they're charging for the stuff. After 2 years in the hobby, it's all starting to look the same to me!! :D

This is an easy page to break even with someday. You just need to marry the piece to someone who actually wants it. See if EVS will let you post it on the Jinxworld or Comic Bloc forums where he (and his fans) hang out...

I bid CND$75 on your page and I decided not to bid again for a couple of reasons, (1) I committed money to something else (paying my bills), (2) I already have a page from Rebirth that I like and paid Van Sciver $150 for two years ago and (3) while yours is a nice page, there are few costumed characters on it and there were other things on eBay at the time I would have felt were better value in the same price range like the Scott Kolins double-page Thing splash that didn't sell for $200.

Try not listing in Canadian dollars for a start, there's a reason why they recommend you don't.

Personally I avoid reserve auctions like the plague - whether listing items or bidding on items. If you don't want less than $200 for it, start the auction at $200, and if it goes, it goes. I don't like playing the guessing game when it comes to reserves and I don't like "what's your reserve?" e-mails.

I bid CND$75 on your page and I decided not to bid again for a couple of reasons, (1) I committed money to something else (paying my bills), (2) I already have a page from Rebirth that I like and paid Van Sciver $150 for two years ago and (3) while yours is a nice page, there are few costumed characters on it and there were other things on eBay at the time I would have felt were better value in the same price range like the Scott Kolins double-page Thing splash that didn't sell for $200.

Try not listing in Canadian dollars for a start, there's a reason why they recommend you don't.

Personally I avoid reserve auctions like the plague - whether listing items or bidding on items. If you don't want less than $200 for it, start the auction at $200, and if it goes, it goes. I don't like playing the guessing game when it comes to reserves and I don't like "what's your reserve?" e-mails.

Good ideas

I'm not sure I can live in a world where the Canadian dollar is 6.55% stronger than the American dollar... :sorry:

Jon I started collecting when it was the opposite - a US$1000 cover cost almost CAN$1600!

Now that's a world I can live in!!

(thumbs u

(I grew up in Niagara Falls, on the US side, for perspective.)

Kevin makes some great points. However, I've found that the reserve auctions I've posted have done better than those I've listed with a high starting point. It seems to encourage some bidders to at least look at the item...and then start wanting the item...and then start justifying to themselves why the item truly IS worth more than they'd intended to bid.

At least, that's what happens when I'm the bidder....

With OA I just don't see the point of setting a reserve on something you would value at 200 or less. I can sort of understand the need for a reserve if it's worth thousands... or say, over $500.

But with the current "wait to the last minute" style of eBay bidding, I find most people hesitate to bid high for fear of raising the price too high or being outbid. Bidders are out to get it as cheap as they can and wait until the last minute to bid on it. Bidding with the hope of finding the reserve price may just mean you've helped someone else find out what the reserve is.