• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman issues from 1948-1954

23 posts in this topic

Michelle Nolan has a great article in today's CGC newsletter, on her favorite Batman issues from the 1948-1954 period. I loved her piece and if you don't get the newsletter you can see it here:

http://www.cgccomics.com/news/enews/2007/November/article7.asp

Does anyone have any comments or want to share their favorite issues?

I just acquired the #75 (gorilla cover) she mentions but haven't read it yet.

When I was collecting Batman in my teen years I had about half of 1-100 but the issues ones from 50-100 were a lot harder for me to get so I don't know most of them. My personal favorite has to be #86. I love the Batman Indian Chief cover and two of the stories were in Batman from the 30s to the 70s so they are two of the first Batman stories I ever read. I probably read them ten times each during the summer when I was eight years old. The Indian Chief story and even better, the Bat-Sub story. Which introduced me to octopus ink and "the bends." :)

Marc

Here is my lone Batman issue from the 1948-1954 time period: #68, circa 11/51...great Two-Face cover :)

Bat68.jpg

Michelle Nolan has a great article in today's CGC newsletter, on her favorite Batman issues from the 1948-1954 period. I loved her piece and if you don't get the newsletter you can see it here:

When I was collecting Batman in my teen years I had about half of 1-100 but the issues ones from 50-100 were a lot harder for me to get so I don't know most of them. My personal favorite has to be #86. I love the Batman Indian Chief cover and two of the stories were in Batman from the 30s to the 70s so they are two of the first Batman stories I ever read. I probably read them ten times each during the summer when I was eight years old. The Indian Chief story and even better, the Bat-Sub story. Which introduced me to octopus ink and "the bends." :)

Marc

Marc

I just read that article from my email. (thumbs u And I was just reading "First Voyage of the Batmarine" this weekend.

I've found enjoyable Batman stories from most any era, but I do have a soft spot for some the later pre-code Bats.

Batman81-2.jpg

Batman75.jpg

Batman73-1.jpg

Batman78.jpg

Great article! I've signed up for the newsletter now, but is it possible to find archived issues online.....?

First time at trying to post some images, so hope this works.... here are a few of my favourites:

Batman48sfront.jpg

Batman52sfront.jpg

Batman58sfront.jpg

Batman59sfront.jpg

Batman61sfront.jpg

Batman63sfront.jpg

Batman66sfront.jpg

Super books Alien!!!! I love #66. My favorite Joker cover though is #55!!! Do you happen to have that one??

No Joker cover here, but Surprise!!! A Joker story inside!!!!

Batman86.jpg

Great article! I've signed up for the newsletter now, but is it possible to find archived issues online.....?

First time at trying to post some images, so hope this works.... here are a few of my favourites:

Batman66sfront.jpg

That's the notorious Joker's boner story, right?

Did you have to pay a premium for it because of that?

Funny that it's a fairly phallic cover!

Jack

Thanks!

No 55 (yet!) or 86, but I do remember that Batman Indian Chief story from my 30's to the 70's book!

I was reading World's Finest 72 today and it had a house ad for Batman 86. Neat to see. That's got to be my second favorite issue (after #1) with the two 30s to the 70s stories plus the "bonus" Joker story.

Love all the covers posted. Anything with the Batcave or Batplane are tops in my book.