• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Flash Comics #68 in terrible condition

8 posts in this topic

Here's a book from 1946 that I just picked up. It's in really bad shape but I'm wondering what people think... Is this even a Fair 1.0 for a Golden Age comic?

It has major pieces missing from the cover. Tears and rips. Pencil marks. Signed in ink by a Willie Haulston. Cover is totally detached although back cover is 95% complete except for the pieces missing around the staples.

Thanks for any insight.

flashcomics68.jpg

Sckao,

Good call on the grade. A textbook Overstreet example of a strict Fair. The larger piece missing from the lower right really didn't detract from the artwork therby preserving the major portion of the cover art and keeping it out of the poor range.

The size of the piece missing, plus cover detachment, the tearing and additional smaller pieces missing along the spine would definitely prevent it from grading a strict fair/good.

It is a Golden age book however and based on what I've seen, I could be wrong but I think that CGC would probably slab it 1.5 because the book appears relatively clean compared to some pretty grubby, heavily weathered (very badly stained or surface damaged) 1.0s I've noted with similar wear (pieces missing and tears).

Thanks for the replies.

Now the question is this... Should a comic of this quality even be slabbed? The only thing that's special about it seems to be its extreme age.

What do you think it's worth? I can't find much information about Golden Age books at all although there's one on Comiclink listed as Fair for $70.00

Thanks for the replies.

Now the question is this... Should a comic of this quality even be slabbed? The only thing that's special about it seems to be its extreme age.

What do you think it's worth? I can't find much information about Golden Age books at all although there's one on Comiclink listed as Fair for $70.00

I don't think it should be slabbed. It may seem very old but it is in the mid-upper 40's (around 1946 or so?) and not really extrenme age to a GA collector.

It is the ideal "reader copy", however, for someone with a high grade slabbed book. And believe you me, such reader copies are sought after by the GA CGC collectors.. I ..thin.k. .you. ..woul.d ..be. b.et..te..r. off. car.e..f.ul.l.y ...st.ori.ng it. i.n mylar/acid free board.

I concur with the sentiments of POV and SeanK, re: not slabbing but storing...

Also, IMO, this book is a FR 1.0 *at best*. The real reason I think it gets a 1.0 if submitted to CGC is 'cause they're extremely unlikely to grade it a .75 wink.gif

If the cover weren't detached, I'd say it's a pretty solid 1.0 ... but with the added 'defect' of detached cover, I would drop it to something between PR .5 and FR 1.0.

It's interesting how different people view a book like this... some take the approach of "hey, it's beat to hell, you could cut out half a page and not cause it to drop further down the condition chain." I Truly believe there are a significant % of regulars on these boards who are *better* at grading a high grade book than a low grade book like this. (Not impugning anyone who's responded on this thread; merely generalizing.)