• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Phoenix ComicCon

17 posts in this topic

Lou Ferrigno is now coming. the Guest list keeps on growing. This sounds like its turning into the best Con Phx has ever had.

Who is going?

I'm going. I just purchased tickets this past week. I'm not sure if we will have enough people enough for a supper, but if so, I propose Saturday night for it. The Lone Star seemed like a good, nearby restaurant for it too.

I went to the show both days. It seemed like more people attended than last year. Unfortunately, the increase in attendance was mostly due to cosplay kids coming out in greater droves. Of all the comic book conventions I have attended over the last 10 years, I'm not sure I have seen a higher proportion of kids dressed in costumes running around a show. These kids have little to no interest in collectible comics, but they may well be the lifeline for the show.

The dealers room seemed stale. It was basically the same group of sellers from last year, and they were almost all at the same exact locations in the room. Some of them even seemed to have the same inventory. Prices were typically high on quality books, and there was little in the way of decent deals. I bought a small amount of what I consider junk comics and trade paperbacks. If you had been looking for trade paperbacks, you would have found some good deals at this show.

The best thing about the whole show for me was the CGC booth. I was able to submit some comics I had been meaning to have graded for some time, and the customer rep was very helpful when there was a small snafu regarding insurance on the order form. I hope CGC will continue to attend this show. They did seem to have a decent stream of business at the booth.

While I am happy to see Phoenix finally have an annual comic book convention, I might consider cutting down to attending one day. With the lack of merchandise and new sellers and programming and guests that don't appeal to me too much, I think one day well may be plenty.

I think the Phoenix Con was good event this year. Yes the deals were HARD to find on quality back issues but not for trades.

I did stand in some long lines to get my comics signed Rob Liefeld and Arthur Suydam. The Mcguiness and Jeff Loeb line was way to long.

I also stood in some short lines Don Rosa (sketch on a Captain America Fallen son blank cover turned in to CGC for SS), Matt Wagner (Batman head sketch also cgc ss). The people at the CGC booth were Great! Thank you.

It was also nice to see Lou Ferrigno with a small line at times (3 people).

I did like to see the kids in their costumes of people I never heard of. Reminded me of when I was a kid collecting comics and my dad said you are doing WHAT?

They are the new blood of the shows.