• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Numb3rs

59 posts in this topic

Numb3rs is all about a stolen ashcan comic (worth $2mil) at "Gencon Los Angeles" and the forgeries are already flooding the market.

Turn it on ASAP if you're not watching.

Watching it! Looks interesting so far...

Here is the description from the CBS website:

Charlie works to find an extremely rare comic that was stolen during a deadly robbery at a comic book convention. Guest stars Christopher Lloyd and Wil Wheaton. TVPG-LV

It turns out one of the FBI agents is a comic fan, so he knows all the ins and outs of the industry. I am excited to see how the story turns out. And right now I am reading one of Wil Wheaton's books -- crazy connection, eh?

EDIT: When the agents were learning about comic restoration, did anyone else see the CGC logo at the top of the slabbed comic? I wonder where the production team got their hands on those...

Yeah this is cool Christopher Lloyd is the artist who did the aschan originally. I keep waiting for him to yell out "Marty!"

This is a solid episode. I'm loving this. Particularly the discussion about Galactus. There's something brilliant about a particle physicist who lives at a monestary talking about his love of Galactus. It explains so much about that character.

Charlie works to find an extremely rare comic that was stolen during a deadly robbery at a comic book convention. Guest stars Christopher Lloyd and Wil Wheaton. TVPG-LV

It turns out one of the FBI agents is a comic fan, so he knows all the ins and outs of the industry. I am excited to see how the story turns out. And right now I am reading one of Wil Wheaton's books -- crazy connection, eh?

EDIT: When the agents were learning about comic restoration, did anyone else see the CGC logo at the top of the slabbed comic? I wonder where the production team got their hands on those...

Yeah I saw that too. It was definitely a CGC label that added a yellow sticker to on the outside. And I'm 99.9% sure it was a "restored" purple label too. It was too quick for me to be positive.

Particularly the discussion about Galactus. There's something brilliant about a particle physicist who lives at a monestary talking about his love of Galactus. It explains so much about that character.

I kept waiting for someone to bring up the Ultimate Nullifier. Alas, I was disappointed.

Perhaps this episode will raise the awareness of comic book forgery.

I'll give it a shot, but that show makes my head explode, as it would anyone with a rudimentary grasp of mathematics. :frustrated:

lol This is true, but I typically watch the show because I like that it raises awareness of things that can be done with math and makes it seem "cool." (That and SOME of the stuff they do has a very real basis. Others they explain away with random algorithms.)

I'm loving this even doubly so because they've touched on alot of things in the industry.

-Benefits for older artists (or the lack of benefits, actually)

-Forgery

-Aspects of the market as it relates to forgeries

etc.

So, again, the show is raising awareness of something and making it "cool."

I really hope they give a shout out to ACTOR or the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund at the end of this.

CGC certified comics are set to appear in the hit network drama “NUMB3RS” - Scheduled air date November 23rd, 2007 at 9pm CST (Check local listings)

CGC's name, logo and encapsulated comic books will be featured this month in a comic-themed episode of the CBS hit network drama, NUMB3RS. The episode is scheduled to air on Friday November 23, 2007 at 9pm CST.

The storyline for the show is centered around a mysterious crime that occurs at a popular comic book convention. The set was designed to represent a traditional “con”, complete with comic book artists and convention fans. CGC’s trade show graphics and artwork were provided for the episode and will be featured as a background booth at the faux convention. CGC’s graded books will also play a unique role in the show. CGC worked with NUMB3RS to encapsulate and label comic books that were designed exclusively for the show. These CGC books will serve as props in the episode, including one titled D.J. Doom, which is expected to get its own close-up.

NUMB3RS art director Katherine LeBlond worked to capture the reality of a convention feel, and if you’ve ever wondered what it was like to attend a real comic book convention, make sure to catch the show. Super-Con creator Steve Wyatt was even in charge of bringing in some famous comic book creators, who will play themselves in the episode.

NUMB3RS stars David Krumholtz as mathematician Charlie Eppes, the kid brother of L.A.-based FBI agent Don Eppes (Rob Morrow). Don employs Charlie’s math genius to crack the code on unsolved crimes.

Numb3rs is all about a stolen ashcan comic (worth $2mil) at "Gencon Los Angeles" and the forgeries are already flooding the market.

Turn it on ASAP if you're not watching.

I gasped when I read the lead-in graphics: "Rare Ashcan Edition."

Can you believe ashcans have made the mainstream? Unreal.

Overall a bit hokey, but a lot of fun to watch.

I really wanted to watch this episode (I never EVER watch the show, so I forgot)....even after leaving myself a voice mail and asking my wife to remind me.

I got home, had a box of comics and dinner waiting for me....everything else went out the window.

ANyone have a link or a VHS (gasp) or dvd copy?

Pleaaaaaaaaaaaaase???