• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BREAKING NEWS! Batman #1 CGC 9.0 sells for $300,000!!!

256 posts in this topic

I'm sure this has been talked about before, but are there raw copies of Batman #1 out there that could grade higher than 9.0?! Just curious!
How nice is the MH copy? hm

Well, according to all of the long-term collectors I know.........the Church copy along with all of the other pedigree copies of Bats #1 has had some minor type of work done to them. :tonofbricks:

Not sure if it is enough work for a PLOD, but at least enough to still have some resto notes designated on the blue label at best.

:news::news::news: :news: :news::news::news:

..that is assuming the ComicLink website is correct......yesterday the book was at $240,000, and today it shows as $300,000 / pending sale!

Way to go Josh! :applause:

What I don't understand is why it would take $300K to buy the book if it is only listed for $240 on CL?

It would be nice if Josh could confirm the final sale price on this book for us. :hi:

Last time I checked, I think it was listed at $450,000.

I'm sure this has been talked about before, but are there raw copies of Batman #1 out there that could grade higher than 9.0?! Just curious!

Well, according to all of the long-term collectors I know.........the Church copy along with all of the other pedigree copies of Bats #1 has had some minor type of work done to them. :tonofbricks:

Not sure if it is enough work for a PLOD, but at least enough to still have some resto notes designated on the blue label at best.

Thanks. (thumbs u

This is not only a $300,000 comic book, but a $3,000,000 comic book......in 20 years or so - maybe less. If you had told collectors and dealers just 20 years ago that there would be a grading co. called CGC in 2007 that would certify the grades of books, encase them in plastic, and that a 9.4 ceritifed unrestored AF15 would sell for $227,000 --- they would not stop laughing for a week straight.

please ponder............

This is not only a $300,000 comic book, but a $3,000,000 comic book......in 20 years or so - maybe less. If you had told collectors and dealers just 20 years ago that there would be a grading co. called CGC in 2007 that would certify the grades of books, encase them in plastic, and that a 9.4 ceritifed unrestored AF15 would sell for $227,000 --- they would not stop laughing for a week straight.

hm

Thanks. (thumbs u

Actually, this is what I heard when I was at the Diamond International Galleries opening way back in '95. :gossip:

And stated as the reason why the non-pedigree OS copy was still able to fetch something like $60K when top of guide was only $36K at the time, even though it was not in your typical pedigree quality grade.

Most collectors and dealers I knew wouldn't have laughed because they knew and hoped values would continue to rise and I remember as a kid talking to other collectors about how ro protects our comics, so the idea of cgc wasn't something unimaginable. I need more details about a sale like this before I can make any further judgements.

Rick , not to be sarcastic and I understand what you mean , but a Fool and his money are soon parted as the saying goes . If this guy spends like this without doing his homework , I hope , he will soon be bankrupt. And yes I have known Millionares in my lifetime and most of them think things through before taking a plunge that I've known. And most can be pretty frugal that I've seen also.

you may be right, or this person might have done their homework and agree with showcase4 that down the road, this book "could" command more...

who knows... truth be known, as you suggest, I realize that the price is "out of line" with my expectations, so I did not buy it (though, at $240K I did consider it last year, then sanity returned!)...but, until we hear (if) who the buyer is, just speculation :)

rick

well.... 20 years ago AF15 was barely a four figure book let alone six. 227k would have been hard for me to imagine back then. I remember someone an overstreet market report from about 20 years ago, when ff1/af15 were 2 or 3k proclaiming that one day, and it wouldn't be that long, those books would hit 10k. That was pretty mind numbing to me at least back then. 10k for a SILVER AGE book??? :insane:

Really, you have to put the sale in a perspective and realize that a 9.0 Unrestored Batman # 1 IS A VERY VERY RARE BOOK.In grade its probably a Gerber 9 or 10.If it was brought by a pro, thats the reason this price was achieved.Everyones got in their heads how common Bat # 1 iis.THat statement is not applicable at all in this case.

Really, you have to put the sale in a perspective and realize that a 9.0 Unrestored Batman # 1 IS A VERY VERY RARE BOOK.In grade its probably a Gerber 9 or 10.If it was brought by a pro, thats the reason this price was achieved.Everyones got in their heads how common Bat # 1 iis.THat statement is not applicable at all in this case.

Would you trade your CGC 6.5 Action #1 for it?

If not, what do you think your book is worth?

How much is the Batman 1 in 9.0 worth? That's a tough call. I guess we'll only know that answer in hindsight as we see the prices other key books sell for.

It's hard to measure the value of a book in such limited supply. Perhaps the buyer was someone who made a great deal of money in business and now is fulfilling a dream? Is the value of the book rising as fast as we believe or are we simply seeing the devaluation of the currency helping the nominal value of the book to jump?

Since Sept I have seen my gold holdings jump 25% in value and much of it is in vaults so I derive no pleasure in viewng the holdings. A twenty five % rise in the Batman 1 keeps it up with the gold's increase.

I can't say I have put any serious money in comics as I have too many other investment areas to be involved with. If my net worth multiplies quickly perhaps I would consider one huge purchase? Perhaps an unrestored Action 1 or Detective 27 would be higher on my list but a key unrestored 9.0 is tough to come by.

The $300,000 price should give some publicity to the hobby. Perhaps a few outsiders will discover their youth and supply new blood (money) to the hobby? The sale can't hurt comic pricing as every seller now might be repricing their inventory. Maybe, it's as simple as someone believing that the timing was right to demonstate the investment possiblilities n comics? If we knew the name of the buyer would we really know much more about his/her's motives than we do today? Should we care?

How much is the Batman 1 in 9.0 worth? That's a tough call. I guess we'll only know that answer in hindsight as we see the prices other key books sell for.

It's hard to measure the value of a book in such limited supply. Perhaps the buyer was someone who made a great deal of money in business and now is fulfilling a dream? Is the value of the book rising as fast as we believe or are we simply seeing the devaluation of the currency helping the nominal value of the book to jump?

Since Sept I have seen my gold holdings jump 25% in value and much of it is in vaults so I derive no pleasure in viewng the holdings. A twenty five % rise in the Batman 1 keeps it up with the gold's increase.

I can't say I have put any serious money in comics as I have too many other investment areas to be involved with. If my net worth multiplies quickly perhaps I would consider one huge purchase? Perhaps an unrestored Action 1 or Detective 27 would be higher on my list but a key unrestored 9.0 is tough to come by.

The $300,000 price should give some publicity to the hobby. Perhaps a few outsiders will discover their youth and supply new blood (money) to the hobby? The sale can't hurt comic pricing as every seller now might be repricing their inventory. Maybe, it's as simple as someone believing that the timing was right to demonstate the investment possiblilities n comics? If we knew the name of the buyer would we really know much more about his/her's motives than we do today? Should we care?

Publicity is the operative word here. I sometimes wonder about some of these sales, if they're true sales or just meant to pump up a market.