• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BREAKING NEWS! Batman #1 CGC 9.0 sells for $300,000!!!

256 posts in this topic

I asked Josh about that whole run of Batman's being pressed when 1st offered for seel and he gave me the old "not that I am aware" reply.

y'all help me on this--if josh didn't have them pressed, and has no knowlege that they've been pressed, but admittedly doesn't have personal knowledge of what went on with the books for maybe 60+ years, isn't "not that I'm aware of" the right answer? ONLY an original owner of a 60 year old book KNOWS if it hasn't been pressed.

but i do agree with you guys avoiding c'link. please especially avoid them on timelys, pre-7/40 fox books and cheslers. anything on my signature below, as well. thanks.

But if you have direct knowledge that a book has been pressed you can certainly disclose that information. Josh said he doesn't know and you have to take his reply at face value. If he doesn't know, he doesn't know.

I asked Josh about that whole run of Batman's being pressed when 1st offered for seel and he gave me the old "not that I am aware" reply.

y'all help me on this--if josh didn't have them pressed, and has no knowlege that they've been pressed, but admittedly doesn't have personal knowledge of what went on with the books for maybe 60+ years, isn't "not that I'm aware of" the right answer? ONLY an original owner of a 60 year old book KNOWS if it hasn't been pressed.

but i do agree with you guys avoiding c'link. please especially avoid them on timelys, pre-7/40 fox books and cheslers. anything on my signature below, as well. thanks.

I'm with parker...stay AWAY from clink :)

Especially if Rick decides to sell off his Detectives :devil:

sorry, they are the "last" to go...timelys go first ;)

But if you have direct knowledge that a book has been pressed you can certainly disclose that information. Josh said he doesn't know and you have to take his reply at face value. If he doesn't know, he doesn't know.

Do YOU REALLY WANT THE TRUTH???

You can't handle the truth!

We live in a world that has pressers. And those pressers have to be guarded by sellers who use the services of the presser. . Who's gonna do it? They have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You guys weep for the Batman 1 (possibly pressed) and you curse the minipulators You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that the altered book while tragic, probably enhanced it's grade.. And the idea, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, enables everyone involved to profit...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about, the hobby can point to record high pricing.. You want to continue the policy so long as you are not the buyer and the hobby benefits.

You use words like honor and ethics....These words are used by participants who are spending their life defending the hobby. You use 'em as if all sellers will ever truly come clean. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to people who rise and sleep under the blanket of buying the highest grades, then question the manner in which It is provided! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you scan every book and tag it. .

WAS THE BOOK PRESSED???

I only know that I didn't have relations with that book.

Do YOU REALLY WANT THE TRUTH???

You can't handle the truth!

We live in a world that has pressers. And those pressers have to be guarded by sellers who use the services of the presser. . Who's gonna do it? They have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You guys weep for the Batman 1 (possibly pressed) and you curse the minipulators You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that the altered book while tragic, probably enhanced it's grade.. And the idea, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, enables everyone involved to profit...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about, the hobby can point to record high pricing.. You want to continue the policy so long as you are not the buyer and the hobby benefits.

You use words like honor and ethics....These words are used by participants who are spending their life defending the hobby. You use 'em as if all sellers will ever truly come clean. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to people who rise and sleep under the blanket of buying the highest grades, then question the manner in which It is provided! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you scan every book and tag it. .

WAS THE BOOK PRESSED???

I only know that I didn't have relations with that book.

lol

I can never understand everyones fasination with people that spend way more than what something is worth. Anyone that is gonna spend that kind of money isn't a collector. They are just going to show people this book and say how much they spent to get it. The book will be lucky to be mentioned. The book is just a stepping stone for their ego trip. Now if I heard a story about someone paying cover price for a Batman #1 and it turns up being one of the highest graded, then I'd call that news.

why is "last" in quotes?

Ladies and Gentlemen. I propose another point of view. What if the buyer was an international collector who now can afford this book because of the decline of the US doller. 3-4 years ago this book would have cost me $400,000 Canadian at this price but about 2 weeks ago would have run me "only"$270,000 or so. That my friends is a windfall rarely seen in this day and age. If the US doller would ever return to it's former glory this buyer could flip the book for a "loss" and not lose a cent.

R.

hm

I can never understand everyones fasination with people that spend way more than what something is worth. Anyone that is gonna spend that kind of money isn't a collector. They are just going to show people this book and say how much they spent to get it. The book will be lucky to be mentioned. The book is just a stepping stone for their ego trip. Now if I heard a story about someone paying cover price for a Batman #1 and it turns up being one of the highest graded, then I'd call that news.

Isn't a book worth what people will pay for it? So I'd say your arguement falls flat. The book at this point in time is "worth" $300,000 US. All a price guide does is relfects previous sales. Chalk this up to a previous sale. There are no mystical elves hiding in the ground casting spells to create imaginary values.

And why do you assume the book is just a feather in someone's hat? Why is it so difficult to believe that maybe someone actually loves Batman and that is why they bought the book?

I am a DC hater but I love comics and If I had the money I would buy every hi grade copy of every comic in existence. Just because I love what comics have always represented. I would pile them in a room and roll around in them. HeII I would let my friends roll around in them too. Just because they would get off on it as much as I would. I would easily pay $300,000 for this book if I had the $$ that someone like Eric Roberts has.

End of rant.

R.

Ladies and Gentlemen. I propose another point of view. What if the buyer was an international collector who now can afford this book because of the decline of the US doller. 3-4 years ago this book would have cost me $400,000 Canadian at this price but about 2 weeks ago would have run me "only"$270,000 or so. That my friends is a windfall rarely seen in this day and age. If the US doller would ever return to it's former glory this buyer could flip the book for a "loss" and not lose a cent.

R.

hm

Why do you still use a DD avatar :baiting:

why is "last" in quotes?

meaning, if I ever had to have a first sale, "last" would = all ?

R.

hm

Why do you still use a DD avatar :baiting:

I heard it has something to do with his night job

For once, I have to agree with BP. Unless what's really being implied in the earlier post is that Josh is lying.

Originall posted by: r1970d

Isn't a book worth what people will pay for it? So I'd say your arguement falls flat. The book at this point in time is "worth" $300,000 US. All a price guide does is relfects previous sales. Chalk this up to a previous sale. There are no mystical elves hiding in the ground casting spells to create imaginary values.

And why do you assume the book is just a feather in someone's hat? Why is it so difficult to believe that maybe someone actually loves Batman and that is why they bought the book?

__________________________________________________________________________________

I won't argue with you on a book being worth what people pay for it. I just believe prices have been inflated so much do to these type of huge sales. And I've heard all kind of horror stories of how people are conned into paying high prices. $300,000 is ridiculously high for just one comic. Hard to believe anyone in their right mine paying that much for a comic. But I'm sure this sale will increase the value of that comic in the next OS and other sales. These huge sales just distance the regular comic collector further and further from the hobby.

I have a friend that purchased some painting for some crazy money. All he said when I asked him about it was how much it cost. He didn't even remember the painter. Only that it was some famous artists painting. That is why I believe people that have money to burn on collectibles are not really collectors.

For once, I have to agree with BP. Unless what's really being implied in the earlier post is that Josh is lying.

As I always tell clients/deponents during deposition or trial prep, "I don't know" is a valid answer.

Whether it is a truthful answer is another matter. :gossip:

I just believe prices have been inflated so much do to these type of huge sales.

Comics are a fairly large market, I'm wondering what prices do you think have been inflated?

What is the non-inflated price of the Batman 1?

supposedly a 9.0 batman 1 sold for $175K this year by metro (they reported on these very boards)...so, $300K is quite a jump...inflated?

they sold a slabbed 9.0 or a raw 9.0? cuz if the latter, it wasn't a 9.0.

supposedly a 9.0 batman 1 sold for $175K this year by metro (they reported on these very boards)...so, $300K is quite a jump...inflated?

they sold a slabbed 9.0 or a raw 9.0? cuz if the latter, it wasn't a 9.0.

cgc 9.0 blue according to Stephen, posted on the boards about 6 months back...

rick

Hi, I just saw this headline and I am shocked. Obviously, the buyer (if the sale is indeed accurately reported) was not well informed. It is my understanding the previous owner (DK) had personally graded the book a VF/VF- and it did have some writing on it when he sold it. Begs the question , why did CGC give it such a good grade and with a blue label? No question in my mind the book was played with.

If a 9.4 Batman #1 ever comes up for sale (and it is all original -no pressing) I would go to the matt for it. IMO a 9.4 Batman is worth twice as much as Action 1 in 6.5. First app of Joker (greatest villian of all time) and Catwoman (1st villainess in comics). It is a killer book and IMO a great investment, esp in the 4.0-8.0 range. People like to talk it down -I never undersood that. A Bat #1 (9.4) is likely a one of a kind comic whereas Action 1 in 6.5 is hardly that.

Time will tell but I strongly believe the US economy is headed for a difficult 2008 and beyond -will be very interesting to see how this moves the comic hobby.