• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comicspriceguide.com: A useful resource, or not?

16 posts in this topic

I enjoy CPG a lot, and post there all the time. Their price guide is better than most people would give it credit for. They are consistently monitoring sales of key books, and making updates whenever possible. As mentioned above, though, the slabbed values they list are just based upon a number of formulae (i.e., slab value = raw value x 3.2, etc, etc). So, these aren't useful at all. GPAnalysis is still probably the only good resource for this.

They put a lot of effort into accurate listings of variants, pence versions, etc, etc. This is something that the comics.org (Grand Database) really lacks. So, I find CPG invaluable as a cover/issue reference. I also catalog my collection there, which is my favorite function for their site.

I find the ability to input my collection and make notes more valuable than anything else. Also, the prices are useful in a very general way.

I agree with this , it's a good tool to keep track of your collection and the cover scans are awesome .

The prices are just a general indication .

I just used them within the hour to check on Micronauts #2 from the original Marvel series. I pulled a Micronauts #2 from my dollar books (perhaps 9.0 or better?? haven't done more than glance at it for grading) and it had the blank UPC, with the diamond price box (.35 cents) surrounded by a starburst & an odd small micronauts box top left corner, front cover.

CPG didn't list this variant & neither does OSPG. I think it is a so-called Whitman, but it has some unusual features I don't see in those....

SO, CPG didn't help with this variant situation.

No.

But they are the only free online price guide. Doesn't that count for something?

They put a lot of effort into accurate listings of variants, pence versions, etc, etc. This is something that the comics.org (Grand Database) really lacks.

Which is a good thing because the GCD is not a price guide.

I enjoy CPG a lot, and post there all the time. Their price guide is better than most people would give it credit for. They are consistently monitoring sales of key books, and making updates whenever possible. As mentioned above, though, the slabbed values they list are just based upon a number of formulae (i.e., slab value = raw value x 3.2, etc, etc). So, these aren't useful at all. GPAnalysis is still probably the only good resource for this.

Thanks for mentioning GPAnalysis. I hadn't heard of them before, and I think they'll be an excellent guide for CGC stuff.

when I see CPG.com results listed as a resource in ebay auctions for slabbed books, it's invariably overpriced dross.

I think it's hard for some people to come to terms with the fact that a comic is only worth what someone is willing pay for it, no matter how much the guide says it's worth ;) .

The closest thing to a gold standard around here would be OSPG for raw comics and GPA for the slabbed stuff. And wait until May/June when the new Overstreet comes out and people start dissecting it.

CPG.com is a good cover to issue reference tool as mentioned earlier. I also use it as a supplement to my OSPG prices just as a second opinion. But as you said, comics are worth only what you are willing to pay for them.

I find that the for grades below 7.0 or so, CPG is generally pretty representative of what you can expect ebay sales to go for, more so than OSPG. And yeah, the graded pricing isn't very useful for anything below 9.4.