• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jim Steranko Fan Club Thread

129 posts in this topic

Steranko talks like Scorcese - He asked me to whom I was having an item signed for once and I told him, along with the spelling, and I thought he was going to have me killed. He was so nice though but I would never mess with him or his handlers. He looked like John Derek

The only thing about his art, is that sometimes his legs look a little funky. Usually only when the characters are in motion.

I talked to him about this several years ago. He said he got some negative feedback about some of his initial drawings of Cap saying his legs were not big enough. So he decided to make Caps legs really freaky and out of proportion (he specifically pointed out the DPS where Cap is jumping over the cars kicking some hoods). He said everyone loved them... absolutely flipped... so he just kept drawing them that way.

Another great Cap cover:

Cap113.jpg

This was the original cover concept; Stan said "no".

File2306.jpg

that concept is amazing.

please add me to the fan club!

JimSterankoCaptainAmerica.jpg

i had to learn that Steranko doesn't sketch anymore the hard way. My original plan was to obviously get a sketch from him on the Fallen Son cover, but, as Jim couldn't be convinced to do a Cap sketch, my guy instead got that done for me.

I at least for the other Cap done! :) If I'd had a good copy of the 113, or the Hulk issue, I totally would have done those too.

Steranko's awesome ! ....I used to just through out Miller ,Byrne ,McFarlane etc. when asked ,but after getting into comics again ,.I love Adams and Steranko...

..Notice how Ster. does all that cool psycodilic (sp ) 60's stuff !....it's really cool.

I just got my Nick Fury #1 from Qual. Comics yesterday just for the cover! .........BH......

What a great thread!

What a great Group!

I'm honored to be a part of it.

Here is my favorite Jim Steranko work. It's a Chandler print from 1978. If you haven't seen it before, look closely. It tells a story with just a picture. I believe that this was a big influence on Frank Miller when he created Sin City.

(Sorry about the poor resolution. This is a photo of my framed print. A pieced together scan would be better, but I don't want to take it out of the frame.)

chandler.jpg

- Lee Hester

Lee's Comics of California