• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conan Comics
10 10

1,136 posts in this topic

Just got the 2nd issue of Jack Dempsey's Fight Magazine (that's the first issue above). For those who don't know, this is a very rare, short-lived pulp series from 1934 that only lasted 3 three issues before being cancelled. REH has a Sailor Steve Costigan story in all three issues. There are easily among of the scarcest of REH collectibles so I'm psyched to have found these and I should have the third and final issue coming in the mail as we speak. :wishluck:

JackDempseysFight02.jpg

JackDempseysFight02int.jpg

Neil (lookwhoitis) & Jeff (Theagenes) attended this year's Howard Days together.

I was thrilled when this postcard arrived in my mail bearing a ROBERT E. HOWARD STATION, Cross Plains, Texas June 11, 2010 postmark.

Thank you my friends.

img134.jpg

The First Annual Central Florida Comic Book Swap Meet was held at the home of our very own JiveTurkeyMoFo a few weeks ago.

While being given the tour of Casa Jive, I happened to notice this pristine beauty on a stack of comics.

While I was admiring it, Jive said "It's yours."

Thanks, George. Thank you very much my friend.

img135.jpg

img136.jpg

San Diego Comic Con 2010, convention floor.

Sardo Namspur: So I got my tickets to the Bob Overstreet meet & greet, Tupenny!

Tupenny: Really? Sweet! Hey, can you get me one of those 40th Anniversary Limited Edition JRJR Conan1 cover recreation Overstreets?

Sardo: Sure, man. You want it inscribed?

Tupenny: No way! I won’t be able to flip it! lol lol lol

Sardo: lollollol

Next day.

Sardo: Here ya go, Tupenny! You can see it is inscribed to you, "Happy Collecting, Bob Overstreet." lol

Tupenny: lol lol lol Wow, Sardo! How much do I owe you?

Sardo: FREE!

Tupenny: Drinks on me tonight!

& they were :cloud9:

Thank you, Josh. You're the real deal!

img137.jpg

Awesome Bill! :applause:

Josh is a great guy! (thumbs u

I hope Conan isn't around to read me be mushy but here we go:

It is one thing to say: "I am your friend."

It is another thing entirely to be a friend.

There are things in the saying & then there are things in the doing.

Neil (lookwhoitis) & Jeff (Theagenes) attended this year's Howard Days together.

I was thrilled when this postcard arrived in my mail bearing a ROBERT E. HOWARD STATION, Cross Plains, Texas June 11, 2010 postmark.

Thank you my friends.

img134.jpg

Here is the other side of the postcard with the special Howard Days postmark. Neil and I just barely made it to the PO there in Cross Plains before it closed. The artwork for the postmark was done by Jim and Ruth Keegan who do the Two-Gun Bob back-up strip in the DH Conan comics.

postcardbacksm2.jpg

I was fortunate enough to win the OA for the postmark at a silent auction that night, the proceeds of which went to Project Pride, the local friends group responsible for maintaining the REH house and museum.

9124ddce.jpg

I don't know if anyone interested in seeing these, but here's a few more pics from Howard Days this year.

The Cross Plains Public Library was were most of the panels were held:

7d7222f7.jpg

19c5bf5c.jpg

Neil (Lookwhoitis):

0d27cd98.jpg

The library's impressive pulp collection:

cf179841.jpg

The obligatory typewriter shot at the REH house:

typewritersm.jpg

It was a really fun weekend. If you're fan of REH, you owe to yourself to make the pilgrimage to Cross Plains for Howard Days at least once.

The artwork for the postmark was done by Jim and Ruth Keegan who do the Two-Gun Bob back-up strip in the DH Conan comics.

I was fortunate enough to win the OA for the postmark at a silent auction that night, the proceeds of which went to Project Pride, the local friends group responsible for maintaining the REH house and museum.

9124ddce.jpg

:applause: That's neat piece.

A buddy of mine met the Keegans at SDCC this past summer and bought a couple of their Two-Gun Bob strips :thumbsup:

They are both really nice and down to earth and I really enjoyed talking to them. That's one of the cool things about Howard Days. The guests and speakers, like the Keegans this year, just hang out with the fans all weekend. It's a much more casual environment than your typical con. After all everybody's stuck in this tiny little town in the middle of nowhere together.

That's a really cool OA piece, Jeff. Nice way for you to remember your first Howard Days. I hope you & Neil didn't raise too much hell out there in Cross Plains.

The library has a pretty nice pulp collection and needless to say, they are probably all only ones with REH stories in them hm

Yep it's all part of their REH collection. It's really pretty funny, because you have all these nice little old ladies from this small, rural conservative Texas town with this collection of pulps with risque Brundage covers. :)

The library has a pretty nice pulp collection and needless to say, they are probably all only ones with REH stories in them hm

Yep it's all part of their REH collection. It's really pretty funny, because you have all these nice little old ladies from this small, rural conservative Texas town with this collection of pulps with risque Brundage covers. :)

Old American story...Winesburg, Ohio

Old American story...Winesburg, Ohio

Never read it. Is it good? hm