• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conan Comics
10 10

1,136 posts in this topic

The diagram isn't a circle nor a pair of lines converging in the distance, but looping folds sandwiched tight into infinite layers of instantaneous strata.

I love it. But this is why I think you are drunk all the time.

I take multi-vitamins & drink 4-5 cups of coffee a day.

The same with me, don`t need alcohol. (thumbs u

Yeah, after the my crazy excesses of the early 90's, the last decade of more-or-less sobriety has been a refreshing change of pace. No more purple lotus for me. :P

Tupenny seems to have been channeling Phylos the Thibetan or some other Edwardian period occult entity. If you'd like to experience REH's take on the concept of man's conciousness existing in an infinite number of times and spaces simultaneously, you can check out The Valley of the Worm on Project Gutenberg Australia:

The Valley of the Worm

A rare Conan item for me. I grew up reading and trading Conan comics in Junior High with my best buds, twin brothers. I have been buying all the Dark Horse reprints and wanted to add a Conan page since the beginning of the year. I decided it was going to be a Buscema and I bought this one off eBay last week. It's not expensive but in my eyes, it captures what is fun about Conan. I am happy :)

85763.jpg.f07428afca13382c877e6cdb2e023b57.jpg

85764.jpg.844f128be0005acad4853d4cbea2707a.jpg

85765.jpg.bd453e191fa24cfd033d8a908e89e39d.jpg

Scrooge, that's sweet! :applause:

Looks like Ernie Chan inks. I think the SSOC pages really look great as OA since they were intended to be B&W - lots of great cross-hatching and washes. One of these days I'm going to build up a warchest and wait for a good Buscema/Alcala page to come along.

Thanks guys. Rescuing a damsel in distress threatened by rats while quipping, it's the essence of Conan the Rogue.

Now some Alcala inks or pencils Conan sounds attractive ... but probably more expensive than this but, still, sounds like a great idea hm

Stuff on my mind today. Thought I'd post about it so I swiped these definitions from Wiki to help flesh out what REH was up to:

Metempsychosis is a philosophical term in the Greek language referring to transmigration of the soul, especially its reincarnation after death. It is a doctrine popular among a number of Eastern religions such as Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism and Druzism[1] wherein an individual incarnates from one body to another, either human, animal, or plant.[2] Generally the term is only used within the context of Greek Philosophy, but has also been used by modern philosophers such as Schopenhauer[3] and Kurt Gödel[4]; otherwise, the term "transmigration" is more appropriate. The word also plays a prominent role in James Joyce's Ulysses, and is associated also with Nietzsche.[5] Another term sometimes used synonymously is Palingenesia.

The term autoscopy derives from the Greek words autos (self) and skopeein (to see). It refers to an experience in which a person, while believing him or her self to be awake, sees his or her body and the world from a location outside his or her physical body. More precisely, autoscopy experiences are characterized by the presence of the following three phenomena:

disembodiment (apparent location of the self outside one's body);

impression of seeing the world from an elevated and distanced visuo-spatial perspective (extracorporeal, but egocentric visuo-spatial perspective); and

impression of seeing one's own body (autoscopy) from this perspective.

Autoscopies have puzzled humankind from time immemorial and are abundant in the folklore, mythology, and spiritual narratives of most ancient and modern societies.

Bunning and Blanke (2005) of the Laboratory of Cognitive Neuroscience, Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne (EPFL), Lausanne, and Department of Neurology, University Hospital, Geneva, Switzerland, have reviewed some of the classical precipitating factors of autoscopies. These are sleep, drug abuse, and general anesthesia as well as their neurobiology. They have compared them with recent findings on neurological and neurocognitive mechanisms of the autoscopies. The reviewed data suggest that autoscopies are due to functional disintegration of lower-level multisensory processing and abnormal higher-level self-processing at the temporo-parietal junction. The researchers argue that the experimental investigation of the interactions between these multisensory and cognitive mechanisms in autoscopies and related illusions in combination with neuroimaging and behavioral techniques might further our understanding of the central mechanisms of corporal awareness and self-consciousness.

A related autoscopic disorder known as Negative Autoscopy (or Negative Heautoscopy) is a psychological phenomenon in which the sufferer does not see his or her reflection when looking in a mirror. [1][2] Although the sufferer's image may be seen by others, he or she claims not to see it. This was briefly (and jokingly) referred to as "Maartechen Syndrome" due to comments resulting from a YouTube video of a prank that illustrated this disorder. [3]

See in the article Researchers Find an Explanation for Out-of-Body Experiences how scientists performed experiments in order to search for an explanation for autoscopies [1]

Heautoscopy, or experience of a double, is a related phenomenon.

A rare Conan item for me. I grew up reading and trading Conan comics in Junior High with my best buds, twin brothers. I have been buying all the Dark Horse reprints and wanted to add a Conan page since the beginning of the year. I decided it was going to be a Buscema and I bought this one off eBay last week. It's not expensive but in my eyes, it captures what is fun about Conan. I am happy :)

when I was more into OA 5 or 6 years ago I'd try to bid on pages like these (buscema conan -- nice stuff, but not his superstar pages) and they always went beyond my [limited] budget. if you don't mind, what did you pay?

More fantasy artist masters.

IMG_4271.jpg

Great stuff Bill! :applause:

Is The Studio pretty cool? I've always wanted to check the out. There is a limited edition of that signed by all four but I've never seen one for sale. I think there were only 40 or 50 copies.

I haven't seen the Krenkel book before - that looks pretty sweet too.

I've been after a sweet copy of The Studio for a year now (check the WTB threads).

It is very large, very heavy, & soft cover.

It just isn't meant to be read more than once. A very poorly bound product but the quality of all else about it is superb. I'm peeking through it slowly.

I damn well love it.

Very Cool, Scrooge! I was much more into the superheroes when I was growing up but whenever I read the occasional Conan I always did enjoy it. I've been loving the Dark Horse reprints and have gotten through the first 13 books and have even enjoyed the notes that Roy Thomas has added to the books. I had very little knowledge of Conan and his pulp history before the last couple years and I have really come to enjoy the stories and the irony of the "barbarian" being the most civilized character in most cases throughout the series. I think he's certainly an underrated character in the comic world.