• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conan Comics
10 10

1,136 posts in this topic

Tupenny, what's the significance of that book? Is it Howard's first writing on Conan?

Forrest, here is Heritage's brief item description:

Robert E. Howard The Dark Man and Others (Arkham House, 1963). From a print run of 2,029 copies.

Here is a better description taken from the Lancer paperback edition.

Arkham House books are very collectible in general & they only published a few REH collections.

Congrats Bill! That is a very nice copy. :applause:

Forrest, this is one of three REH books published by Arkham House. The other two are Skull-Face and Others and Always Comes Evening. All three are very collectible and desirable. Arkham House was publishing company started by August Derleth in the 1940's to keep HP Lovecraft's work in print. It quickly expanded to to start publishing works by other Weird Tales writers from the "Lovecraft Circle."

I still need Always Comes Evening, which is the first collection of REH's poetry and the scarcest of the three (562 copies). THere was a decent one in this same HA auction which I almost went after, but chickened out in the end as I'm pretty broke at the moment.

In Bang Zoom's thread he posted a group shot of his Arkham House collection and it's unreal! :o

Can't you sell a Grail or two to replenish your funds? Isn't that what your job is about :baiting:

lol I wish it worked that way.

Actually, it was going after a series of other REH grails that depleted my funds. These babies are much scarcer than even Always Comes Evening.

BoxingPulpsGroup.jpg

For those REH fans that haven't seen me posting these in the GA forum over the last few weeks, these are rare boxing pulps that all have Sailor Steve Costigan stories by Howard. If you haven't read any of them, I highly recommend them. (thumbs u

That is supa-SWEET, Chespirito! Does Conan actually directly translate to Volcano in Spanish? I did not know that...

Here's the only Mexican Conan I've managed to acquire...

LaReinadelaCostaNegra111959-01.jpg

:takeit:

(tsk) Careful... that's become a dangerous symbol today... :tonofbricks:

NFS, anyway, but nice try :D

That is supa-SWEET, Chespirito! Does Conan actually directly translate to Volcano in Spanish? I did not know that...

Here's the only Mexican Conan I've managed to acquire...

LaReinadelaCostaNegra111959-01.jpg

:takeit:

(tsk) Careful... that's become a dangerous symbol today... :tonofbricks:

NFS, anyway, but nice try :D

Ah, but I believe an :takeit: posted in a thread is all-powerful and trumps the fact that it isn't for sale. :devil:

I remember that book. Till this day I am in search of the true first appearance of Conan in comics, in the short lived "Cuentos de Abuelito" series from 1952. Vulcano is not translated into Conan, I think that is just the gimmick that sounded interesting in 1971 in Mexico, it was changed to Conan in the 80s.

The real 'Reina de la Costa Negra' comics from the 50s are very sought after, haven't seen any that I can think of.

I remember that book. Till this day I am in search of the true first appearance of Conan in comics, in the short lived "Cuentos de Abuelito" series from 1952. Vulcano is not translated into Conan, I think that is just the gimmick that sounded interesting in 1971 in Mexico, it was changed to Conan in the 80s.

The real 'Reina de la Costa Negra' comics from the 50s are very sought after, haven't seen any that I can think of.

Chespirito, I've been researching these Mexican Conan comics for some time, trying to piece together the publication history. Any information you have would be greatly appreciated.

This is earliest issue that I've been able confirm from 1952. It isn't mine but belongs to an REH collector I know:

CuentosdeAbuelito017.jpg

Theagenes,

If I am not mistaken, I think I saw that issue in an REH forum a while back, if I remember correctly, that is number 17. I have found 'Cuentos de Abuelito' before, but not the books that have the "La Reina de la Costa Negra" stories,

I specifically remember this guy posting this one. I have never actually seen one, the ones that come up on sale are the late 50s and early 60s "Reina de la Costa Negra" comics ,Not under the Cuentos de Abuelito banner, REH collectors would probably go nuts if they ever saw the first issue....just saying.

on these boards Conan comics seem to be an afterthought. almost never see them posted in the “this week in your collection” thread. he’s never discussed. he’s like a red headed stepchild. has he ever been popular on these boards?

(shrug)

Is it too late to say "I'm a Conan fan?"

I hope not.

:hi:

I'm still working ever so slowly on the first Marvel comics run (#1 to #125 or so).

on these boards Conan comics seem to be an afterthought. almost never see them posted in the “this week in your collection” thread. he’s never discussed. he’s like a red headed stepchild. has he ever been popular on these boards?

(shrug)

Is it too late to say "I'm a Conan fan?"

I hope not.

:hi:

I'm still working ever so slowly on the first Marvel comics run (#1 to #125 or so).

It's never too late to acknowledge Conan fanship... or to become a Conan fan for that matter :D