• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM#238 Tattooz? Where are they?

18 posts in this topic

I was hoping to 'get some ink' but have suddenly realised that I'm not even sure if the tats are present!

Here we see an ASM#238:

tattooz1.jpg

...and here we see the last page:

tattooz2.jpg

Should the tattooz be attached to that card insert?

Can somebody with a fully intact copy please tell me what I'm looking for? I want to get that spider tattoo on my arm it'll look cool man :grin:

My other ASM#238 is awaiting grading at CGC right now, so I can't compare them.

Yes, they are inside the insert. If you hold it up to some light, you can see them.

Aha! Yes now I see it! Many thanks for that, I was worried for a minute there. Thought my two ASM238's were missing their tatz, but it's all OK, they're intact :grin:

I wasn't really going to use them. My mum would go mad lol

You can find the same tats in a couple other books from that same month that are a LOT cheaper than the Spidey 238.

I've asked this a million times without an answer, but here goes again:

How does this work? Don't you have to either a) rip open or b) tear apart, the insert to get at the tattoos, and if so, then how would simply replacing them with another set make the book complete?

Once they're out, they're out and the cat is definitely out of the bag.

Unstaple the upper staple, remove opened card, put a complete intact card with tattoo from a cheaper comic that had it included, into position and close staple.

Sure, but then that's a restored book and would get a PLOD.

Unstaple the upper staple, remove opened card, put a complete intact card with tattoo from a cheaper comic that had it included, into position and close staple.

I thought that got a GLOD if they are able to catch it?

Interesting. I suppose the staples would show signs of having been bent back and forth. Luckily I don't have to worry about that, unless of course somebody already did that to the copies I've got :o

Nope, a GLOD would go to the ones without the Tats, but as I've never seen a PLOD given to ASM 238 for that reason, I can only assume CGC condones the disassembly of the book.

Nope, a GLOD would go to the ones without the Tats, but as I've never seen a PLOD given to ASM 238 for that reason, I can only assume CGC condones the disassembly of the book.

Not to stir up a storm, but didn't a CGC employee once say that taking out a staple and then replacing it wasn't resto? I think the comment was in regards to a golden age book that had been cracked, the centerfold reattached, and then resubbed for a higher grade. I want to say it was a Boy Commandos 1, though I am not positive. I am not sure that CGC considers removing and then replacing a staple resto....though putting another set of tattooz in an ASM 238 should make it a frankenbook (providing that could be detected).

Not to stir up a storm, but didn't a CGC employee once say that taking out a staple and then replacing it wasn't resto?

Probably, but I have a hard time keeping up with all this stupidity.

You aren't the only one.

Not to stir up a storm, but didn't a CGC employee once say that taking out a staple and then replacing it wasn't resto? I think the comment was in regards to a golden age book that had been cracked, the centerfold reattached, and then resubbed for a higher grade. I want to say it was a Boy Commandos 1, though I am not positive. I am not sure that CGC considers removing and then replacing a staple resto....though putting another set of tattooz in an ASM 238 should make it a frankenbook (providing that could be detected).

it was Steve Borock. CGC does not consider disassembly and reassembly to be restoration. the staple replacement thing is consistent with the OGG standards that vintage staples can be used up to 9.4 and any old staple up to Fine, iirc.

and the book was a Boy Comics. not Boy Comandos.

i would think replacement of Tattoz would be akin to a married cover, and thus warrant a GLOD