• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hope this doesn't pizz anyone off.....

152 posts in this topic

It often feels like because this IS the CGC Forums, well you should be deeply discounting to your buds. Don't care if that ticks some off. It is how it feels. And I bet some folks here are glad I said it, even if they say nothing.

Yea, I see that a well, but I'm thinking "who cares?". As long as I'm selling and buying then it all works out in the end.

Now if all I'm doing is selling and just looking to bleed everyone here of their last dime in an attempt to get the most I can for every book I sell........well, then where does the problem lie?

Now if all I'm doing is selling and just looking to bleed everyone here of their last dime in an attempt to get the most I can for every book I sell........well, then where does the problem lie?

That "just looking to bleed everyone here of their last dime"? is certainly not what I said. Hope that was not directed at my post.

I've had success, albeit limited, in the For Sale forum.

For me, the general consensus is, if you've got the goods, you can put whatever price on it (within reason), and it should sell. If you don't have the goods, your books will just sit there like bumps on a log, even at 50% off. 50% off may be a decent price, but usually 33% or less is what makes people buy stuff that they don't really need or that they were humming and hawing over. Nicer grades are easier to sell than lower grades and your chances of getting closer to guide are better. Lower grades MUST be discounted, and from the results of my current sale, I'm finding that 33% to 50% off isn't working. That being said, war books aren't for everybody.

Andy

Having never posted in the marketplace forum, what is the general consensus on dealers posting stuff for sale there? What is the etiquette, and what is okay/not okay to offer?

Having never posted in the marketplace forum, what is the general consensus on dealers posting stuff for sale there? What is the etiquette, and what is okay/not okay to offer?

It used to be frowned upon for dealers to post there, but they did modify the rules to allow dealers to post.

To quote Architect

The following guidelines are now in effect. Over some period of time these may be modified or expanded.

As of now, dealers will are allowed to post here as long as all guidelines are respected.

Note that BUYERS AND SELLERS HAVE FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR TRANSACTIONS. We will not resolve disputes, and purchases and sales are done at your own risk.

For Sale – Threads may be removed for failure to comply, and repeated issues could result in strikes.

[*]Books must be CGC or raw only, or items directly related to comics. [*]No spamming. Group your for sale items into as few threads as is reasonable. Attempts to take up front page real estate by creating multiple threads for no reason are not allowed. [*]It must be an exclusive board-only offer. If the book is offered for sale through another venue (ebay, dealer site, personal web site, etc.) then it should NOT be offered here. It should be offered in the Sales Advertising board. [*]Links to outside sites for any purpose involving purchasing the offered books are not allowed. [*]It must list specific books with purchase prices. It is acceptable to bulk price, and/or to note that package discounts may be available, but you must list a starting price that you WILL sell for. [*]List scans or information about the grade of the offered books. [*]List estimated shipping costs, times, and methods. [*]List acceptable forms of payment [*]Prompt responses must be made to buy requests made through the boards (posts or PMs). [*]Threads may be bumped three times total AND only ONE FULL DAY AFTER falling off of the front page. This does not include "sold" notices, or truly useful informational updates. Note: we CAN tell the difference between a real update and a fake bump-update. Tread that line at your own risk. If you're spam bumping, "lawyering" the rules will not save you.

BUYERS When you reply to a sale thread indicating that you'll buy something you must indicate what book you're buying. Otherwise, if someone else is more specific than you are first, your offer won't be considered valid.

Following those guidelines, you'll be fine. (thumbs u

Andy

Ettiquette is the same for dealers as for everyone else. Good scan, good grade, good price and it'll sell. Follow it up with good communication and quick safe delivery and you are in good standing. Also, offer unconditional returns even on CGC books seems to be the norm.

It seems that the old school dealers or even quasi dealers tend to get higher prices on books than the individual but its a mixed bag.

More words of wisdom are:

Don't be cute

Don't expect sales, earn them - no different than at a show.

Create buzz with early "listings" with quality material and great prices. Then everyone will have a sense to "Buy it Now" even if the price is a little high on later listings.

If your initial prices are way to high, don't expect much action simply by lowering prices.

You'll almost always sell for more here than on ebay for quality stuff.

But basically your treated the same as everyone else and since most folks already know you can be trusted, you shouldn't have any problem selling here ans saving ebay fees.

rules state you can't have the book for sale anywhere else. etiquette is to use your own best judgement. i think you'll be fine there

Check out the Forum Usage Guidelines, but here are the highlights:

"As of now, dealers will are allowed to post here as long as all guidelines are respected.

It must be an exclusive board-only offer. If the book is offered for sale through another venue (ebay, dealer site, personal web site, etc.) then it should NOT be offered here. It should be offered in the Sales Advertising board.

Links to outside sites for any purpose involving purchasing the offered books are not allowed.

It must ust list specific books with purchase prices. It is acceptable to bulk price, and/or to note that package discounts may be available, but you must list a starting price that you WILL sell for."

You should post some of your GA beauties. At 1/2 off guide price of course. :wishluck:

It used to be frowned upon for dealers to post there, but they did modify the rules to allow dealers to post.

To quote Architect

The following guidelines are now in effect. Over some period of time these may be modified or expanded.

As of now, dealers will are allowed to post here as long as all guidelines are respected.

Note that BUYERS AND SELLERS HAVE FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR TRANSACTIONS. We will not resolve disputes, and purchases and sales are done at your own risk.

For Sale – Threads may be removed for failure to comply, and repeated issues could result in strikes.

[*]Books must be CGC or raw only, or items directly related to comics. [*]No spamming. Group your for sale items into as few threads as is reasonable. Attempts to take up front page real estate by creating multiple threads for no reason are not allowed. [*]It must be an exclusive board-only offer. If the book is offered for sale through another venue (ebay, dealer site, personal web site, etc.) then it should NOT be offered here. It should be offered in the Sales Advertising board. [*]Links to outside sites for any purpose involving purchasing the offered books are not allowed. [*]It must list specific books with purchase prices. It is acceptable to bulk price, and/or to note that package discounts may be available, but you must list a starting price that you WILL sell for. [*]List scans or information about the grade of the offered books. [*]List estimated shipping costs, times, and methods. [*]List acceptable forms of payment [*]Prompt responses must be made to buy requests made through the boards (posts or PMs). [*]Threads may be bumped three times total AND only ONE FULL DAY AFTER falling off of the front page. This does not include "sold" notices, or truly useful informational updates. Note: we CAN tell the difference between a real update and a fake bump-update. Tread that line at your own risk. If you're spam bumping, "lawyering" the rules will not save you.

BUYERS When you reply to a sale thread indicating that you'll buy something you must indicate what book you're buying. Otherwise, if someone else is more specific than you are first, your offer won't be considered valid.

Following those guidelines, you'll be fine. (thumbs u

Andy

Thanks Andy,

But what I am really asking is what do you feel about a dealer (me, maybe) listing stuff in the marketplace and competing for space with the collectors who are already posting there. I have a web-site up 24/7, stores etc. so this is just another avenue for me to put my inventory in front of potential customers. Being a collector as well, I would hate to "commercialize" my time spent here. But maybe some would like to see more stuff offered. It is the obvious place for me to offer cool stuff that I just get in (if I were to get an awesome golden age Action run for instance).

Am I over-thinking it, or is there an unwritten rule that says dealers should steer clear.

i hope this doesn’t pizz anyone off. :eek:

is the Marketplace still a place where boardies try to give fellow boardies decent prices? or has it mainly become a place of business?

and again, i am not calling anyone out as i have had many great transactions with great sellers on these boards. in fact other then cons this is my only source for buying books.

i hate eBay :gossip:

comments welcome

The first part of my reply is a little off your topic, but I think it fits with some of what others have said.

I think different folks are here for different reasons. And, everyone loves a bargain, and most would like to get the most out of their books, so that they can buy more of whatever it is they are seeking.

Generally, high grade, high demand, sells for high dollar. Mid to low grade sells for low dollar, unless there is high demand or scarcity. And..., don't forget there is a very limited audience here - so if everyone already has that high demand, high grade item, then the only way to move it here is to deeply discount, so that the potential buyers will notice a flipping opportunity.

If your grading is off, or your prices too high, your books probably don't sell, or not as hot or quickly as the board elite. However, I have learned that if it doesn't sell the first time, it may just sell the third or fourth time. Sometimes folks are here, sometimes not. Sometimes they have money, sometimes they don't. I think the biggest mistake you can make is to try to sell something today, because you need the cash tomorrow - that is a sure formula for not realizing a very good price on your sales.

Also, if your online demeanor turns other people off, you might not have very good sales because of that. I could dance around this issue, but there are folks I choose not to deal with here, and I'm positive some of the feeling is mutual.

Back to your original question...,

is the Marketplace still a place where boardies try to give fellow boardies decent prices? or has it mainly become a place of business?
I think it is a little of both, depending on the on-line relationships that are built.

I've had several great dealings/purchases/trades with you Ken, so I can say yes, I would give a you a decent price if I had something you wanted - just like the Action I recently sent you - which you corrected my asking price upwards on. :o That deal was cool in so many ways, and I don't think it would happen anywhere but here.

Check out the Forum Usage Guidelines, but here are the highlights:

"As of now, dealers will are allowed to post here as long as all guidelines are respected.

It must be an exclusive board-only offer. If the book is offered for sale through another venue (ebay, dealer site, personal web site, etc.) then it should NOT be offered here. It should be offered in the Sales Advertising board.

Links to outside sites for any purpose involving purchasing the offered books are not allowed.

It must ust list specific books with purchase prices. It is acceptable to bulk price, and/or to note that package discounts may be available, but you must list a starting price that you WILL sell for."

You should post some of your GA beauties. At 1/2 off guide price of course. :wishluck:

GACollectibles is definitely an example of what is right about his board. He noticed my collecting habits, then actively hunts down stuff he knows I would like, then offers it to me at a great price, and ships it to me in a safely packaged manner. The business model might not be for everyone, but it works for me!! :thumbsup:

I would like to add that some of those charging near GPA or full guide are also some of the best graders you can find.

Guys like Nik,Flaming,October,Greggy and Quality come to mind.I have bought raw books from all these guys that have graded higher then the grades they stated.

Sweet, I'm going to jack up my VCC prices. :D

I would like to add that some of those charging near GPA or full guide are also some of the best graders you can find.

Guys like Nik,Flaming,October,Greggy and Quality come to mind.I have bought raw books from all these guys that have graded higher then the grades they stated.

Answer my PM :makepoint:

Resend it, as I've probably deleted the other PM long ago so you're talking to yourself, fool.

Resend it, as I've probably deleted the other PM long ago so you're talking to yourself, fool.

(worship) (worship)