• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hope this doesn't pizz anyone off.....

152 posts in this topic

The best type of sales I have had is when I have priced the items well. Since I don't sell comics at shows or through a store or on my own website, I basically had one outlet for non-CGC books which was ebay. The boards have become much better organized for buying and selling in the past year or two so I have had great luck selling on the boards. Great luck meaning selling for more than ebay prices. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't. And when it doesn't work on the boards, its doesn't work at all, like maybe one sale out of 50 listings. When it does work either everything sells or close to everything. Really interesting.

As far as providing deals to forum members, its really a two way conversation. Why should either the buyer or seller offer extra savings or extra money to the other. That said, nothing wrong with offering up freebies as a seller, or volunteering to pick up postage as a buyer etc etc. But thats more good business than good ethics. Funny how being and acting like a good friend is good for business and acting uppity and being hard to work with is bad for business. Both are related and don't need to be seperated just because there is a board community.

I would like to add that some of those charging near GPA or full guide are also some of the best graders you can find.

Guys like Nik,Flaming,October,Greggy and Quality come to mind.I have bought raw books from all these guys that have graded higher then the grades they stated.

Sweet, I'm going to jack up my VCC prices. :D

Answer my PM :makepoint:

Resend it, as I've probably deleted the other PM long ago so you're talking to yourself, fool.

I sent it today. You know. The one you asked about buying my books cheap and my asking if you were gonna hit WC and you saying you were going to be in SF for Thanksgiving but then heard nothing. So was asking if you are in SF. That one. :sumo:

[quote=Iv'e never really understood how a seller can feel bad when he sells a book that is later sold at a profit??Yeah ,..I guess it's a little human nature ....but I never look back b/c I agreed to do that particular deal on that day for that price ,...and well ,....that's just the way it goes! .......BH......

The trouble is, when people buy books off the boards and then flip them for more -- how would that make you feel?

I say the floor is yours :)

YAHOO! I'll give it a shot soon.

But just to clarify, if a book is available on your website, you can't post it in the Forum Marketplace. At least not for the same price.

I think that's correct. :makepoint:

Having never posted in the marketplace forum, what is the general consensus on dealers posting stuff for sale there? What is the etiquette, and what is okay/not okay to offer?

It used to be frowned upon for dealers to post there, but they did modify the rules to allow dealers to post.

To quote Architect

The following guidelines are now in effect. Over some period of time these may be modified or expanded.

As of now, dealers will are allowed to post here as long as all guidelines are respected.

Note that BUYERS AND SELLERS HAVE FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR TRANSACTIONS. We will not resolve disputes, and purchases and sales are done at your own risk.

For Sale Threads may be removed for failure to comply, and repeated issues could result in strikes.

[*]Books must be CGC or raw only, or items directly related to comics. [*]No spamming. Group your for sale items into as few threads as is reasonable. Attempts to take up front page real estate by creating multiple threads for no reason are not allowed. [*]It must be an exclusive board-only offer. If the book is offered for sale through another venue (ebay, dealer site, personal web site, etc.) then it should NOT be offered here. It should be offered in the Sales Advertising board. [*]Links to outside sites for any purpose involving purchasing the offered books are not allowed. [*]It must list specific books with purchase prices. It is acceptable to bulk price, and/or to note that package discounts may be available, but you must list a starting price that you WILL sell for. [*]List scans or information about the grade of the offered books. [*]List estimated shipping costs, times, and methods. [*]List acceptable forms of payment [*]Prompt responses must be made to buy requests made through the boards (posts or PMs). [*]Threads may be bumped three times total AND only ONE FULL DAY AFTER falling off of the front page. This does not include "sold" notices, or truly useful informational updates. Note: we CAN tell the difference between a real update and a fake bump-update. Tread that line at your own risk. If you're spam bumping, "lawyering" the rules will not save you.

BUYERS When you reply to a sale thread indicating that you'll buy something you must indicate what book you're buying. Otherwise, if someone else is more specific than you are first, your offer won't be considered valid.

Following those guidelines, you'll be fine. (thumbs u

Andy

Thanks Andy,

But what I am really asking is what do you feel about a dealer (me, maybe) listing stuff in the marketplace and competing for space with the collectors who are already posting there. I have a web-site up 24/7, stores etc. so this is just another avenue for me to put my inventory in front of potential customers. Being a collector as well, I would hate to "commercialize" my time spent here. But maybe some would like to see more stuff offered. It is the obvious place for me to offer cool stuff that I just get in (if I were to get an awesome golden age Action run for instance).

Am I over-thinking it, or is there an unwritten rule that says dealers should steer clear.

Richard,

I for one would invite your postings.It has been said many times how you have cut a great deal for a boardie.Now I realize you may not have a lot of room on all books but you should do well posting on the for sale boards.

Dennis

I would like to add that some of those charging near GPA or full guide are also some of the best graders you can find.

Guys like Nik,Flaming,October,Greggy and Quality come to mind.I have bought raw books from all these guys that have graded higher then the grades they stated.

No soup for you! :sumo:

:kidaround:

i absolutely agree with you in regards to feeling safe buying from the marketplace. which is why i no longer bother with eBay.

safe about grades, safe about packaging, safe that anyone here would probably do a refund if asked, etc.

I concur! :applause:

Now if all I'm doing is selling and just looking to bleed everyone here of their last dime in an attempt to get the most I can for every book I sell........well, then where does the problem lie?

That "just looking to bleed everyone here of their last dime"? is certainly not what I said. Hope that was not directed at my post.

It was directed to wherever the shoe fits, no one specifically. You know me better then that, if I was directing it at you there would have been no doubt. (thumbs u

Am I over-thinking it, or is there an unwritten rule that says dealers should steer clear.

Not at all, come on over! I don't make a distinction between "dealers" and "collector/sellers". If you are selling cool stuff at a fair price, packaging is secure shipping is prompt, grading is tight and restoration is disclosed then I'd be happy to do business with you and so will the vast majority of people here.

You mean the dealer can offer it elsewhere else "as long as it's not at the same price "?.....how about 1 penny ?.....does that make sense ?.........BH.....

But just to clarify, if a book is available on your website, you can't post it in the Forum Marketplace. At least not for the same price.

Having never posted in the marketplace forum, what is the general consensus on dealers posting stuff for sale there? What is the etiquette, and what is okay/not okay to offer?

It used to be frowned upon for dealers to post there, but they did modify the rules to allow dealers to post.

To quote Architect

The following guidelines are now in effect. Over some period of time these may be modified or expanded.

As of now, dealers will are allowed to post here as long as all guidelines are respected.

Note that BUYERS AND SELLERS HAVE FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR TRANSACTIONS. We will not resolve disputes, and purchases and sales are done at your own risk.

For Sale – Threads may be removed for failure to comply, and repeated issues could result in strikes.

[*]Books must be CGC or raw only, or items directly related to comics. [*]No spamming. Group your for sale items into as few threads as is reasonable. Attempts to take up front page real estate by creating multiple threads for no reason are not allowed. [*]It must be an exclusive board-only offer. If the book is offered for sale through another venue (ebay, dealer site, personal web site, etc.) then it should NOT be offered here. It should be offered in the Sales Advertising board. [*]Links to outside sites for any purpose involving purchasing the offered books are not allowed. [*]It must list specific books with purchase prices. It is acceptable to bulk price, and/or to note that package discounts may be available, but you must list a starting price that you WILL sell for. [*]List scans or information about the grade of the offered books. [*]List estimated shipping costs, times, and methods. [*]List acceptable forms of payment [*]Prompt responses must be made to buy requests made through the boards (posts or PMs). [*]Threads may be bumped three times total AND only ONE FULL DAY AFTER falling off of the front page. This does not include "sold" notices, or truly useful informational updates. Note: we CAN tell the difference between a real update and a fake bump-update. Tread that line at your own risk. If you're spam bumping, "lawyering" the rules will not save you.

BUYERS When you reply to a sale thread indicating that you'll buy something you must indicate what book you're buying. Otherwise, if someone else is more specific than you are first, your offer won't be considered valid.

Following those guidelines, you'll be fine. (thumbs u

Andy

Thanks Andy,

But what I am really asking is what do you feel about a dealer (me, maybe) listing stuff in the marketplace and competing for space with the collectors who are already posting there. I have a web-site up 24/7, stores etc. so this is just another avenue for me to put my inventory in front of potential customers. Being a collector as well, I would hate to "commercialize" my time spent here. But maybe some would like to see more stuff offered. It is the obvious place for me to offer cool stuff that I just get in (if I were to get an awesome golden age Action run for instance).

Yup, as others have said, come on in. Set up shop and try selling some books here. With a decent reputation you should do decently well.

As mentioned before as well, please only offer books here that are not offered anywhere else. If you have new books come in, try them here first. The one's on your website can come here for sale only after you take them off your website.

Happy to see some new material. (thumbs u

Andy

if I was directing it at you there would have been no doubt. (thumbs u

Gwen Stefani :golfclap:

My daughter loves her. Is that the name of one of her songs?

No Doubt is the band she is in. She is apparantly doing a lot of solo work now but also apparantly she is still with the band in a hiatus sort of way.

I was actually thinking of posting some books here before putting them on my site. Give you guys first shot.

I guess I would have to jack up the price if I post anything here that is already on the web-site. :jokealert:

if I was directing it at you there would have been no doubt. (thumbs u

Gwen Stefani :golfclap:

My daughter loves her. Is that the name of one of her songs?

No Doubt is the band she is in. She is apparantly doing a lot of solo work now but also apparantly she is still with the band in a hiatus sort of way.

Cool. My daughter says I would like her music, but I haven't been motivated to listen. Do you like her music?

Sweet, I'm going to jack up my VCC prices. :D
:eek: I've got tons of Christmas money but am boycotting the VCC due to certain elite members jacking up their prices. :whistle: