• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hope this doesn't pizz anyone off.....

152 posts in this topic

I would like to add that some of those charging near GPA or full guide are also some of the best graders you can find.

Guys like Nik,Flaming,October,Greggy and Quality come to mind.I have bought raw books from all these guys that have graded higher then the grades they stated.

all right i’m going to be completely honest here.

totem read my thoughts exactly. i have noticed some sales threads, (AND I AM NOT NAMING ANYONE IN PARTICULAR), where books are being sold for guide or near GPA.

but i seem to recall when i first began posting on these boards someone mentioning that this should be a place where boardies give the fellow boardies good deals on books without trying to get every possible penny per book.

now with that being said, after reading some of these posts and from my own experiences buying here i know that it is worth paying the higher prices when in return you get better quality service and product.

maybe this is just a ploy by me to get everyone to lower there prices…… :sorry:

I would like to add that some of those charging near GPA or full guide are also some of the best graders you can find.

Guys like Nik,Flaming,October,Greggy and Quality come to mind.I have bought raw books from all these guys that have graded higher then the grades they stated.

all right i’m going to be completely honest here.

totem read my thoughts exactly. i have noticed some sales threads, (AND I AM NOT NAMING ANYONE IN PARTICULAR), where books are being sold for guide or near GPA.

but i seem to recall when i first began posting on these boards someone mentioning that this should be a place where boardies give the fellow boardies good deals on books without trying to get every possible penny per book.

now with that being said, after reading some of these posts and from my own experiences buying here i know that it is worth paying the higher prices when in return you get better quality service and product.

maybe this is just a ploy by me to get everyone to lower there prices…… :sorry:

I think because of the size, volume and value of the books, people have used this more as an "ebay" alternate -- some books you have to be happy just to get a shot at them... other books... I do see them discounted.

The trouble is, when people buy books off the boards and then flip them for more -- how would that make you feel?

Everything is a deal on these boards. If you don't give it away it won't sell and people expect you to give things away.

That's not true. If you have things people want, they will pay a premium, same as everywhere else. I charge close to GPA for high grade, raw silver on a weekly basis and they sell through almost immediately every time. If a seller has common junk that's priced high, it sits. If they have desireable books that are tightly graded, they fly out of the house. It's no mystery. (shrug)

yep especially if your name is nik, october..............

(shrug) He has nice books, grades them tighly and prices them fairly. That's really all it takes.

What I'm saying is if we both had the same exact books in the same exact grade for the same exact price, yours would sell and mine would sit for the 50% discount day.

It might be because your scanner is broken - look, it's scans crooked:

th_warlock11.jpg

:jokealert:

Everything is a deal on these boards. If you don't give it away it won't sell and people expect you to give things away.

That's not true. If you have things people want, they will pay a premium, same as everywhere else. I charge close to GPA for high grade, raw silver on a weekly basis and they sell through almost immediately every time. If a seller has common junk that's priced high, it sits. If they have desireable books that are tightly graded, they fly out of the house. It's no mystery. (shrug)

yep especially if your name is nik, october..............

(shrug) He has nice books, grades them tighly and prices them fairly. That's really all it takes.

What I'm saying is if we both had the same exact books in the same exact grade for the same exact price, yours would sell and mine would sit for the 50% discount day.

I hear ya. I've sold on the boards several times and outside of 6-8 buyers who always come back I haven't had a lot of luck with other users. I've had really nice books sit at 50% off guide while somebody else sold the same book at 20% off within an hour of putting it up. It'd be one thing if people had expressed unhappiness with my grading and returned books but it's never happened. Just makes ya (shrug) and :frustrated:

The trouble is, when people buy books off the boards and then flip them for more -- how would that make you feel?

to me that is part of the deal, either you price your book so high that no one can flip it for profit, or you take the chance and sell it for a lower price and move along.

I've had pretty good success getting strong prices recently for some books I've offered, of course they tend to be premium books, so they should and do command premium prices. For those of you who think this place isn't great for selling high end books, I'd recommend offering Time Payments as an option. Virtually all of my sales over $500 recently were on Time Payments and it works out great (I get full price, I don't lose a percentage to Paypal because everyone pays by check, and the buyer gets the book they want and the convenience of paying at their own pace, etc.)

Of course, I still occasionally get the "I'll offer you 50% of your asking price" PMs from Forumites, but its an open marketplace, and I don't mind those offers so much...everyone is free to make an offer, whether I entertain it or not is a different matter.

to me that is part of the deal, either you price your book so high that no one can flip it for profit, or you take the chance and sell it for a lower price and move along.

Yes, my point is that you're saying wasn't this place supposed to be for deals... and then you're saying if someone gives you a deal and then flips the book, price the book high.

Well I guess people decided to price their books at FMV.

Just because we are buying and selling in the For Sale forum, doesn't mean that books should be bought or sold below fair market value.

oh yeah? :makepoint:

Yeah! :sumo:

Totally agree here... book pricing is up to the seller.

That sellers even choose to list their stuff here first is what makes it nice. At least you're competing against your fellow board members for "deals" here rather than going against the teeming unknown hordes found on eBay.

Just because we are buying and selling in the For Sale forum, doesn't mean that books should be bought or sold below fair market value.

oh yeah? :makepoint:

Yeah! :sumo:

:busy:

Are you going to derail your own thread? :blahblah:

nope, just taken care of a few trouble makers :baiting::jokealert:

but seriously, i am not expecting anyone to sell the books below FMV. i just wanted to discuss it and hear others thoughts on the topic.

i hope this doesn’t pizz anyone off. :eek:

i hate eBay :gossip:

comments welcome

Ebay is hundreds of times better than your local comic shop! that is how a lot of the big players became big back in the 70`s to early 90`s. Lcs would buy back your books 10 cents on the dollar, at least now with Ebay you can get a better deal then that. example 11 year old kid buys hot comic book back in the 80`s for 20.00 dollars, kid one year later at 12 decides he has out grown comics, goes back to local comic book shop with 20 dollar book, dealer offers him 2.00 dollars in trade or 1.00 dollar in cash. this happened thousands of times between the 70`s and early 90`s thus creating some comic empires(mile high, myshop comics etc...)

I am glad we have Ebay now at least I can get something for my comics.

I think everyone has their favorite sellers, just like everyone has favorite booths they frequent at conventions and a favorite LCS they chose to do business with. For sellers who have trouble moving items in the For Sale forum, maybe what you are selling just doesn't have a purchasing audience in the forum, nothing more.

I love selling here. I've sold a ton of books via the forums (not much in the last year, but over 500 the year before) and would rather sell here at a slight loss then sell on eBay in order to maybe make slightly more and have to deal with the i.d.i.o.t.s there. I've also bought a lot from the forums and have never had a single problem (that couldn't be resolved) with a seller, ever.

So, prices? Who cares. Effortless transactions are priceless.

but seriously, i am not expecting anyone to sell the books below FMV. i just wanted to discuss it and hear others thoughts on the topic.

I think many do expect, though. I've sold just a few items. Some didn't sell. Some did. Except for some DVDs the ones that sold I had to reduce the original ask price, even though the original ask was below "fmv". I see it all the time on the marketplace. "bump - price reduced"..."bump - reduced price reduced".

I'll have to think a lot before I try selling the rest of my HG BA DC books. How to do it, where to do it. Etc. What I have seen in the Marketplace here tends to be discouraging. It often feels like because this IS the CGC Forums, well you should be deeply discounting to your buds. Don't care if that ticks some off. It is how it feels. And I bet some folks here are glad I said it, even if they say nothing.

i hope this doesn’t pizz anyone off. :eek:

i hate eBay :gossip:

comments welcome

Ebay is hundreds of times better than your local comic shop! that is how a lot of the big players became big back in the 70`s to early 90`s. Lcs would buy back your books 10 cents on the dollar, at least now with Ebay you can get a better deal then that. example 11 year old kid buys hot comic book back in the 80`s for 20.00 dollars, kid one year later at 12 decides he has out grown comics, goes back to local comic book shop with 20 dollar book, dealer offers him 2.00 dollars in trade or 1.00 dollar in cash. this happened thousands of times between the 70`s and early 90`s thus greating some comic empires(mile high, myshop comics etc...)

I am glad we have Ebay now at least I can get something for my comics.

from that point of view i agree with you.

however for me i do not have the patients to wade through all the craap trying to find what i’m looking for. i envy those who do