• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newest Boardie Commission completed....

48 posts in this topic

On behalf of Worldsbestcomics, I am posting this here. He hasn't seen it yet, but wanted to see it along with everyone else. This is based on the H.P. Lovecraft story "The Cats of Ulthar" about a cat killing couple in an old cottage who get theirs when they kill a gypsy boy's black cat.

Excuse the choppiness of the scan, I am still weak from my bout of stomach flu & just can't force myself to clean it up any better, all the lines are from piecing it together in 6 parts, not part of the work. It's 16"x20" acrylic on canvas.

Ok Hope you like it WBC!

2072110919_c4b800d464_o.jpg

I love it! I was out all night and couldn't wait to get home and see it. It definitely captures the mood of the story and Shiver's cats are always great. These are some of your best I think Matthew. Thank you so much!

Thanks! It is a bit different then my other pieces because I was tying to evoke the mood of the story, I am glad that came across. I wish the details of the cats came up better in the scan. The colors are off too, but it's close.

Yes, Matt, I noticed the difference right away and love it all the more for that. Have ever done any other story interpretation before? I've never seen another on your website. I do like the idea of having animals in the picture as you always handle them perfectly. I've been thinking about a commission for a while but the correct topic hasn't hit me yet but this opens up new avenues ... (thumbs u I also remember fondly that fake PCH cover you put up for Charity auction a while ago. Did 143ksk win that or was it Greggy?

Anyway, congrats to WBC about this great new piece. :applause:

Here ya go Matthew, I cleaned it up for you a little. Sorry to hear you were /are sick.

The cat eyes peeking out from the bushes is a nice touch. If one feared cats this painting would give them pause.

So I say you did good, well done!

catsss-2.jpg

is a Bunny Head a recurrent theme in these works??? the evergreen behind the house has a branch which looks very familiar.

VERY nice work, as always............. (thumbs u

The bunny head branches seem too good to be coincidental. The other small touch I love is the skeleton in the cage hanging from the wall. That would appear to be the kitten that the couple ate which led to their doom.

And the sky is very menacing. In the story, the cats came to the couple just as an unusually powerful storm was about to break.

Thanks everyone!

Thanks for taking the lines out Kenny, Thats a really well done job! Now if only you could see the original to match the color as well... :)

I thought the swirling composition was really important to increase the feeling that they are surrounded, with the very night encroaching upon them.

Scrooge - This is the first illustration I have done for someone else's story I guess. Each time I do my own work, I always have a story in mind, but I haven't tackled someone else's before now.

As for the bunny tree... I'll never tell... :grin:

On behalf of Worldsbestcomics, I am posting this here. He hasn't seen it yet, but wanted to see it along with everyone else. This is based on the H.P. Lovecraft story "The Cats of Ulthar" about a cat killing couple in an old cottage who get theirs when they kill a gypsy boy's black cat.

Excuse the choppiness of the scan, I am still weak from my bout of stomach flu & just can't force myself to clean it up any better, all the lines are from piecing it together in 6 parts, not part of the work. It's 16"x20" acrylic on canvas.

Ok Hope you like it WBC!

2072110919_c4b800d464_o.jpg

Shiver,

As always a great piece.

I have a question about your art.Are these for book covers?Are they for sale?No flaming please as I just dont know the answers and not shilling for shiver.

D

Can't you read you fricken maroon?.. oh wait you said no flaming. :jokealert:

This and other paintings Matthew has posted here are works commisioned by fellow boardies. Custom paintings made per request.

His website is pretty spiffy, take a look.

Ze-