• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Somewhat OT - Saturday Morning Show of the 70's!

83 posts in this topic

All Saturday morning cartoons haved sucked since consumer groups neutered the networks in the late-60s... :sumo:

Jim

You never saw Thundarr the Barbarian, then, you crusty curmudgeon. :baiting:

Actually I have...too bad I couldn't see it through 10 and younger eyes. It could have been pretty good... :baiting:

Jim

lol But that's what I'm talking about. It came out when I was 10 or 12 and it rocked the house! Haven't seen it in 25 years, and I don't know how it would hold up today, but my comic-addled brain found it mesmerizing.

It still comes on Boomerang sometimes. :headbang:

I remember when I was young a show on Sat. or Sunday mornings in the mid to late 70's that the name has long gone from my brain, but it involved a very long space-aged white vehicle roaming around the dry landscape and was live action. I remember multiple members of this team each having their own smaller vehicle that would dock with this long semi bus type off-road vehicle. Does this ring any bells???

My favorite shows in the 70s were the reruns of earlier shows like the Bugs Bunny cartoons, Spiderman (60s version), Jonny Quest and Scooby Doo. The best kids cartoon show I've seen is Avatar which I just picked up last week. Animation and story are both uniformly excellent.

As a kid and a comic fan I liked shazam and the mighty Isis shows.

http://www.70slivekidvid.com/

Brings back memories of strolling through Toys R'Us and seeing a gazillion treasury editions, then sitting down to read the Shazam stories. It was a rare treat when they'd let you read any type of books in the stores back in those days. Darned spoiled starbucks generation I tell you.

Hey, don't forget about the Electric Company . . . my all-time favorite kid's show :cloud9:

electriccompany-spidey_160_11782332.jpg

Anyone remember Morgan Freeman on that show? Or am I just remembering incorrectly?

Yep...you're remembering correctly...

Jim

I was a fan of UFO, Thunderbirds, Land of the Lost and Shazam!

Did UFO play in your area on Sat mornings? It showed on Friday nights at 7 PM in Miami... (shrug)

Jim

If your saying its not a Sat morning show it might not be. Saturday morning watching for me sometimes lasted almost nonstop until the Bugs Bunny/Roadrunner hour on Sunday night, except for doing paper routes :grin:

Sometimes in Canada they buy foreign shows (mostly US ones) and play them in reruns all hours of the day.

Where is SPACE 1999?

My wife bought me the DVD box set and after watching the whole series from begining to end, I realized I had a far better memory of playing with the toys and ships as a kid than the episodes themselves.

However, to my wife's detriment and dismay, I got a real kick out of blaring that groovy intro music and creating corny dances for it. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DF9nDJZrdA

Or Sigmund and the Sea Monsters!

sigmund2.jpg

Air Dates: On NBC,

from 9/8/73 - 10/18/75

YouTube

I remember watching that in 1974. Wasn't actually that good, but there wasn't anything else on so I watched it. Then my parents went and bought me the Sigmund and the Sea Monsters lunchbox.

:doh:

BTW - I looked up the lunchbox on eBay many years ago and it's worth quite a bit. Too bad I don't have it. :doh: